Necessities

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lemon Jack

Above the clouds
Reaction score
So I have blood bone and kelp meal all in my soil. I know this isn't going to be a water only mix but thats fine. My question is can I just top dress with some bone and kelp meal. Say mid way through flower and that will be enough? Should I pick up some high p guano or something as well?

Im still new to this organic thing :eek:

I do have a small Jack 47 girl that I flpped in this mix 4 weeks ago and she is showing no deficiencies at all she is very green and lush and looks great she is triching up very nice. But I think I rember reading that blood and bone meal have to be broken down first to provide food? and that takes a couple of weeks? Is that right? So you would need to apply it before you noticed any problems.

Thanks for the help guys. I know you organic gurus will get me on the right track.

One more thing I don't want to use "organic" nutrients per say you know like fox farms organic or anything just meals, compost, guano ya know real organic...

I would go with the guano teas

teas are better for feeding plants at right now. The blood and bone meals have to be broken down by the soil microbes to be useful to the plants..

Hope you got lime in there. Didnt say that. Thats the most important one. Teas will be your best bet. If your gonna top dress do it with some pre cooked mix and do it like last week of veg.

i like to mix a fresh dry bat guano or castings at transplant from 1 to 5 gal pots and top dress with more bone and/or kelp meal at the flip---teas with humic acid, kelp extracts, always on a molasses base

:yeahthat:

To the 2 previous posts. Big +1 on the lime.

No matter what you top dress with, do it before the flip. I figure 2 weeks minimum before it starts being effective and that's for 'fast' stuff like blood meal. Bone and kelp take longer.

Sprinkling a small amount of bone meal towards the bottom 1/4 of the container seems to work well also. Small amount as in 1 or 2 tbl in a 5 gal bucket ~4 or 5" from the bottom.

Wet

Thanks guys I believe I will go with the guano teas thanks for all the responses and yes I got the lime in there thanks everyone.

Latest posts

Back