led ventilation, costs, best buy

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grass hopper

Reaction score
whats the best, reasonably priced led?? will (2) or (3) leds cover a 4 by 8 or a 5 by 10 tent?? where they run fairly cool, what do people do for ventilation, exhaust?? what is the cost to run leds (%) compared to hps?? half??? alot to answer i know but any advice please. thanks!!

good LED are EXPENSIVE !!
"decent" LEDs are mixed in the mid range
and anything on the low side of the price spectrum will grow weed, but it will disappoint you if your a decent HPS grower already.

http://illumitex.com/
and
https://www.spectrumkingled.com/
are tops on MY list... that's MY list and (honestly) I don't know much.

PS
the ONLY reason I'm even touching this thread is I just
Wake-N-Steam-roller'ed lol
:48:

good LED are EXPENSIVE !!
"decent" LEDs are mixed in the mid range
and anything on the low side of the price spectrum will grow weed, but it will disappoint you if your a decent HPS grower already.

http://illumitex.com/
and
https://www.spectrumkingled.com/
are tops on MY list... that's MY list and (honestly) I don't know much.

PS
the ONLY reason I'm even touching this thread is I just
Wake-N-Steam-roller'ed lol
thanks joe, i could not open yur spktrum tread so i googled it and read some. some said BLACK DOG, GAVITA best but expensive. read one very extensive but bad review on spectrum king. they got about .39 grams, per watt with theirs. .. THEY DID GET 1.49 GRAMS PER WATT with a DIAMOND XML 150.. damn. gonna post this review, test case tonight. REALLY GOOD READ!!

The only cost difference are the lights.
Still need the same ventilation. My understanding is leds don't run that much cooler.

THANKS DUCK! yea i see that. gonna need ducting. it appears some leds do run alot cooler than other leds. theres a current grow comparison going on now. they're bout 3 weeks into flower. pushing spectrum king pros as "best on market". others saying bogus test. sptrm pro sucks! ..

read BLACKDOG GUARANTEES 1 lb per light minimum. also lifetime warrantee. expensive though. another test showing "diamond xml producing 1.49 grams per watt.

duck,got enough babies started to fill (2) tents my size. this is WHY i am considering leds. i may wind up just packing my existing tent with (3) gallons. decisions,decisions...

someone suggested going with 2 or 3 , 8 bulb t5s. much cheaper. really like what i read, saw on diamond xmls. hmmm... do like t5s, just never flowered with them.

do these work?

https://www.spectrumkingled.com/shop/

http://www.spectrumkingled.com/shop/

https://www.spectrumkingled.com/product/spectrum-king-400-plus-led-grow-light/

$1k fixture that is supposed to cover a 5x5 well and a 4x4 VERY well

its what I use

less watts and more efficient = less heat
-but-
just like fluorescent, watts = heat no matter what your using

thanks joe, have u checked your grams to watt?? any idea what u are getting??.. i understand the heat issue. i watched too many videos yesterday. one guy promoting their led, saying how much cooler theirs ran than others. gonna hit the gro stores today to try and pickup someore info. thx

Grasshopper, be cautious about taking advise/information from the people selling the LEDs.

Grasshopper, be cautious about taking advise/information from the people selling the LEDs.

thanks thg. although i was alot impressed with that link, the post, comparison on diamond xml.. 1.49 grams per watt sure got my attention.... talked for quite a while today to grow store chiefs. "said "t5s will not produce any serious bud. also said buds will be airy. though i do remember someone on this site posting some incredible pics done with them. wish i could remember where.... it appears more hps would be my best bet. so i was convinced. just a little concerned of the 3 month spike in my elect. usage.. :)

While I absolutely love love love my T5s for vegging, they are not as good for flowering. Though I would hesitate to say that they cannot produce any serious bud--they can. However not nearly what HPS will produce.

You mention concern over your electricity bill. Is that your sole reason for LEDs? How much light are you planning on running? I really doubt that LED will save you that much money. Remember, people get busted because of loose lips, not because of their electricity bills.

Just throwing this out to follow THG; If you have a 1000w light and run it for 12 hours, you will have use 12 kilowatt hours. I think my electricity is 11cents per kilowatt hour. So that 1kw light running for 12 hours cost me $1.32, if you multiply that by 30 days, you are averaging $39.60 a month for that light. It will be less for a 750w LED. 9 kilowatts instead of 12kw. That's 99cents per 12hr and $29.70 for the month. Yer saving maybe $10 a month by going to LED. Just info to consider

thanks thg, i think it was u that talked me into t5s. I LOVE THEM!! i needed your post to ease my concern. really thanks..

thanks also pup. it is more a conceren over wattage mixed with a little of new product excitement. they also said at grostores than leds are advancing so quickly it might be wise to hold a little longer. got 3 weeks to make a decision. leaning twin tent.. but 3 weeks is a long time.. thanks! whats it cost to run (3) 600s x 12 hr. day x 30 days. thanks :)

I have heard that LEDs are "advancing" for about the last 6 years. While I think that is true now, I also think that it may always be that way. And you do need to factor in the cost of the LEDs to determine if you are actually going to save money in the long run. If you are only saving $10 a mo per light on electricity, how long will it take to recoup your investment...and how long will it take before the light is outdated? In addition, you are "saving" money only if the 750W of LED produces the same as the 1000W of HPS.

How much it costs YOU to run your lights depends on how much your electricity is. Three 600W lights use approx 1.8 KW per hour. Multiply this times the 12 hours a day the lights are on=21.6 kilowatt hours per day. Multiply this times 30 days=648 kWh per month. Multiply times how much you pay per kWh. You will need to throw a bit more in there for fans and other misc equipment.

we pay 8 cents on supply and 9 1/2 more on delivery. 17.5 x 650 = $113.75..also the 3 other fans that run 24/7. i always guessed about $200. month. THANKS!!

Is that 650 Kilowatts or 650watts? per day? per month? If it is just 650watts total used per hour, then the multiplier would be .650kwh X $.175 = 11.4 cents for 1 hour of "lites on". Then multiply by 12 or 24 hours depending on the time they are running to get the daily total. Then multiply by 30 days to get your monthly average.

Is that 650 Kilowatts or 650watts? per day? per month? If it is just 650watts total used per hour, then the multiplier would be .650kwh X $.175 = 11.4 cents for 1 hour of "lites on". Then multiply by 12 or 24 hours depending on the time they are running to get the daily total. Then multiply by 30 days to get your monthly average.

Hush that was 650 kW per month. I did the math in my post above--think it is right?

3 600W lights use 1.8 kw per hour. Multiply that time 12 hours per day=21.6 kW per day. Multiply by 30 days in the month=648 kW per month.

I know a Lush LED distributor that doesn't push them, but she has documented grows and does a fabulous job.. IF i was going to get an LED I would really look into LUSH. I was impressed with the bud she got...The size and yield.

Latest posts

Back