shoots growing off buds

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackinthebox

Reaction score
I got some nice big buds almost ready to harvest then these shoots start growing right out of the buds! then it seems like there are more leaves nearly hideing the flowers. some of the shoots have gotten 4" long.
the shoots have some small leaves on them and flowers too. but the flowers seem to be smaller but thicker pistils I think they are called the white like flower leaves for lack of knowing a better word.
I dont have a clue how to post pics.
but these was clones taken from a bag of mexican pot plants that were already flowering like a month or so. the clones grew with lots of stems and the flowers looked great till they got to like week 7 of 12/12 and 4 foot high then the buds were growing great maybe 2" in diamiter then these shoots started growing out of the buds.
I cut one of the buds in half like 2" down from the end and it is full of like seed pods but no seeds. I cut the shoots off and now there are some huge buds or flowers growing down the stalk below the cola for like a foot down the stem .
what I am wondering is how does this smoke ? I have seem some pics of some huge colas and it seems like there are flowers and seed sacs and small leaves all mixed together in like one huge cola. any advice would be great.

Are you familiar with fox-tailing? This sounds like what might be happening.

In my experience it comes from:
(1) too high of heat in early budding or
(2) nute saturation from reusing same soil or
(3) light leakage at night or
(4)any of the above

Foxtailing can be normal--some strains just do it. Doesn't mean you did anything wrong.

The Hemp Goddess said:
Foxtailing can be normal--some strains just do it. Doesn't mean you did anything wrong.

some say ..foxtailing is good

man I got NO ideal how to post picx. but these were 4ft high plants grew indoor with a 1K hps light, in soil, and fertilized well. they were healthy and growing right along. nice colas like 10" long and 2 or 3 inches accross with flowers everywhere. they were trimed down low with like 8 or 10 branches all flowering nicely. into like 7weeks of 12/12 light. I was watching the lil snowcones on the flowers with some frosting on the sugar leaves starting. I was hopein within the next 2 weeks or so they would just frost like mad and turn amber and cut em down.
but what they did was the flowers kinda shrank alittle and these shoots started growing off the end and off from the flowers everywhere on the top colas. they grew like new growth complete with sugar leaves and flowers but with lots of lil seed sacs. I let them grow for another month and the seed sacs got larger and the sprots grew longer and flowers grew larger and started frosting again. I finally harvested when the lower flowers were like half truned red.
so far from cutting seed buds I have found NO seeds in them.
it was like they were a week or two from harvest then went back into the growth stage, but the new sprots was more like vines than branches.and grew in a thick mass. when I harvested them the top colas was like 16" long and 5" accross. huge and lots of small leaves and bunches of flowers. the last week and a half I just watered them and they have dried now and are cureing in a glass jar. I'll wait a month or so and smoke a couple and let you all know how it smokes.
I have grown outdoors several times and this is the third growinside.
by the way these were clones from some mexican smoke and the clones was taken when the mother was in full bloom like for a month. so maybe that screwed something up. these clones were 5 months old when harvested. I never seen anything like it.
and foxtailing would discribe them as good as anything. I;ll look into that thanks.

some would say...Merry Christmas..weedhopper:p

could this be reveging?...maybe light leaking after week 6 bloom?

This happened to me the first time on my last grow and i didn't know what was going on at first. It ended up being foxtailing, first time ive ever heard of it but was nothing bad. New growth came right out the tops of my colas, I thought it was kinda weird at first but nothing to worry about as long as you do not have a light leak then i'd just let it go.

Latest posts

Back