Starting my first MJ dro gro

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mutt

Just a Dawg
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I'm gonna take a crack at this Hydro.
I got all the makings for a DWC. I have 1 gallon of Dyna Gro. (Veg) and GH Maxi-Bloom. for flower.
Ive got 6 seeds germing right now.
Afghan Dream (I think)xGodBud
and ADxG13

Heres my problem. I have no peat pellets, no Rockwool, or jiffy cubes.
My medium is Hydroton.
Question is. How on earth do I get my seeds sprouted enough to be able to put in the DWC?

I though about setting up a Wic tray with Verm and Perlite until it got its first set. Then transplant into the DWC.
Also on nutrients. would I start @ 1/4 strength and move up the first week? or just straight water?

Any tips would be appreciated. I've grown other plants to full growth but they already had roots and where started well. Just had to rinse the dirt off.

I have also been curious about this, I'm pretty sure a clone could be started in rocks - but a seed?

I think I saw something about a tiny peice of poly(cotton) in an aero setup.

If DWC has no pump to clog and just air stones, couldn't you start them in soil or whatever then rinse most of the medium off before placing in the rocks?

(subscribing to see Mutt's clean fingernails)

Elephant Man said:
(subscribing to see Mutt's clean fingernails)

hehehe, they'll never be totally clean man. gotta have somethin in dirt man. :D

Mutt said:
hehehe, they'll never be totally clean man. gotta have somethin in dirt man. :D

That's funny, being from construction background, I kind of enjoyed playing with the dirt to start my mothers...gonna miss that. I plan on eventually trying several strains over the next year, maybe just because I will get to play in the dirt again:p .

On a serious note, I remember seeing something about a small peice of polyfill in an aero setup with rocks.

On that do it yourself cloner, doesn't the mist only wet the rocks? Kind of like DWC right? (water and airstones) So maybe you could keep close eye on the water level so as only to moisten the stones, without getting enough water droplets high enough, or moving fast enough to dislodge/disrupt the seed? Maybe with a temp cover?

I'm new, so let me know if I am way off.

I have some bagseed, polyfil. I was just getting ready to try to build my cloner, so I may try this.

Never heard of doing it without Peat pellet or Rockwool cubes. So Mutt, you gonna get the hydro down too man. Excellent, cant wait to see your results.

hey mutt,

I allways go from a 50/50 perlite soil mix fer 7-10 day then just rinse all dirt away in warm water then into hydroton.... just need a coupl good roots to get started then set water level right on bottom of netpot and use plain water untill ya see a few roots poke out then lower water 1/2 inch below and hit em with about 200 ppm to start out and see how they like that ;)

bout ready to toss one in a bubbler myself soon :D

grow on

rockydog said:
Thanks for the info HGB, I like that idea.

Thanks man, but don't have a ppm meter. So would that be just light nutes like 1/4 strength? I don't got the bucks yet for a Truncheon or Hanna yet.

Mutt said:
Thanks man, but don't have a ppm meter. So would that be just light nutes like 1/4 strength? I don't got the bucks yet for a Truncheon or Hanna yet.

skip the hanna bro there poo IMO.... oakton is the way to go

1/4 or less to start yes....

say mutt i will do a howto in a couple days on how i do this....

grow on

The general concept is... the roots will be growing directly into oxygen filled water

Hey Mutt, so you've chosen DWC for your first hydro. Cool. It's a good way to learn hydro basics.

You can use peat pellets to start your seeds and when you see roots starting to emerge from the sides and bottom of the peat pellet, you can plant it directly into your DWC system. Make sure the initial spray is enough to wet the peat pellets until roots can get into the water below the net pots.

Good luck man!

Latest posts

Back