drastic ph changes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jetBLACK

Reaction score
im running a hydro setup w 5 gal drip buckets. my ph is starting at 5.8 but after just one day it raised all the way to 7.55. i use a 5gal bucket as the reservoir, w a 3.5gal bucket inside that filled with hydroton. its on a continuous drip, like a small trickle. and right now my ferts are just ro water w iguana grow juice, some rhizotonic at 1/2 strength.

just curious what could cause the ph to jump so much in just a day. the buckets are black no light gets thru, its under a t5 4ft 8bulb w just 4 bulbs on at about 24inches away. the temp stays from 70-75, maybe 68 at night. 24hr lites right now.

that cant be good for the plants to have the ph change so drastically in a day, then i have to re ph it everyday, or all day? am i missing something?? can the changes in ph cause leaves to yellow or to discolor and wilt?? im assuniming with the ph changing so much that all the nutrients are not being available for the polants the whole time.

thanks for any help

wish i could help you man. maybe your nutes? hmmmm never had that happen.

Are you PHing your solution with the nutes added?

:yeahthat:

Also: Have you calibrated your PH pen recently?

i have just started my first dwc and the ph went from 5.8 to 6.5 over night i found that when you make your nuted mix dont ph ajust it leave it to settle for a couple days and the buffers in the nutes will have activated and will change the ph without you haveing to ajust it
if its still not where you want it ajust it slowly till you get where you need it to be hope this helps

im adding the nutes to the water, then ph it. also i have calibrated my pen several times, it is very accurate, so the water ph is changing.

hey fruity, so you are saying i should mix a batch of juice, add the nutes, and let it sit for a couple days, then ph it and feed the plants? ill try that

jetblack, i had the same problem not to long ago . i called A.N. and they said that when you make a fresh batch of nutes to ph it prior to feeding. then allow the plant to feed for 1.5 to 2 days... your ph should go up and that its a sign that the plant is feeding. after 1.5 to 2 days then adjust your ph back to normal. hope this helped. 4EVR420

Mix your nutes then aerate for 24 hour recheck pH and adjust as required,then aerate for another 24 hours and readjusted till desired pH is reached

yo jet, you are leaving out information.

You arent doing something right, what nutes are you using, is your ph adjuster powder form?

something doesnt add up.

Are you flushing your system at all? If you dont, you will get salt build up which will make your ph freak out.

Latest posts

Back