Carbon Filter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

DLtoker

Well, the time has come for me to build a Carbon Scrubber. (I know there are directions like this all over the web but I figured it wouldn't hurt to see it here too.) There is no way was I going to spend a few hundred bucks on one of these one time use filters. I made this for about $60 including the Activated Carbon. So, here I have a filter... I guess a canister system that can be emptied and refilled with new activated carbon. Finding the parts was the hardest part in the project. One reason for this was lack of a complete understanding of the task at hand. And secondly, Home Depot doesn't carry all the parts, Lowes does.

So I built myself an 8" in diameter filter. This is what I needed...
1. 8"-6" Reducer
2. 8" end cap
3. 6" end cap
4. (2) 6" hose clamps
5. (4) 4" hose clamps (couldn't find 8")
6. 6" Duct Collar
7. 2 pairs of the largest panty hose you can find
8. Chicken wire fencing (I used 1/4")
9. Zip ties
10. Tin snips
11. Flat head screw driver

If you have any question as to what one of those pieces are just google search it...

So, I first started off with the chicken wire and the end cap. I needed to see how long to make the fencing. I just wrapped the fencing around the cap and marked where I should trim it. I left about an inch or so extra just to have some to play with. I repeated this step with the 8" end cap and fencing.

*Note. Be sure to trim off the excess end of the wire so you don't poke yourself. This will also make it easier while sliding the panty hose on later.

I then used a 6" hose clamp and tightened it down over the fencing and the 6" end cap. Repeat with the 8" end cap and fencing.

Next piece I worked with was the 6" duct collar. I just popped it on the opposite end of the duct cap and secured it in place with the second 6" hose clamp. I then placed secured the pink zip ties along the seam of the chicken wire fencing to just keep it neat.

Now, fun with panty hose... Not really.:rolleyes: I use two legs (one set) of panty hose on the 6" tube. It is quite time consuming trying to put on the first layer of panty hose. There are a lot of little things for them to catch on and risking ripping them so work slowly. I suggest bunching them up like you do with your socks before putting them on. But, the second layer goes on quite smoothly and quickly. I also secure the ends with zip ties.

I then slide the duct collar into the reducer and duct tape it into place.

I then put the 8" tube on the reducer and secure it with a hose clamp. Zip ties, again, go all along the seam. I put the 2 layers of panty hose on next, but due to the large diameter of my filter I used the waist part of them. Same as the other tube, I secure both ends with zip ties.

The only thing left to do is to pop of the end cap and fill it up with activated carbon. Pet Smart is far more cheaper than walmart, fyi. One option is to also use poly fil (I use the innerds of an old pillow my dogs attacked.) to fill the void between the end cap and the top of the activated carbon. (Top dress the carbon with poly fil).

If something isn't quite clear please ask. I started taking pics a little late, but I started to as soon as I decided to make a DIY. Also, sorry about the quality of the pics. These were taken on my phone.

DC070402006.jpg

DC070402001.jpg

DC070402002.jpg

DC070402003.jpg

DC070402004.jpg

hij.jpg

jh.jpg

jhb.jpg

I have a 250 CFM inline fan and am going to be putting the rest together at some point tonight. I am going to be venting it outside. I am very confident this design will work like a charm. :bong:

Nice tutorial DL, will be saving this for further down the road :aok:

Works like a Dream. My grow area was getting hot with 1000W of T5's but now she is back down to the low 70s and there is *no* smell outside. Perfect :)

could you make it easier by just making the tube with the chicken wire, clamping it with the reducers and then just stick the activated carbon in?

would that work still?

I don't understand your question man. There really aren't any steps that can be skipped. I guess you can skip using the zip ties, but that's really it...

DLtoker said:
I don't understand your question man. There really aren't any steps that can be skipped. I guess you can skip using the zip ties, but that's really it...
i don't get the bit where you use the panty hose

The panty hose are key in this design. Without the panty hose, the activated carbon would fall through the chicken wire. Essentially, there are two cylinders, one inside or the other. Both cylinders are wrapped with the panty hose. I should have taken more pictures... The center of this filter is hollow and the outside ring is filled with the carbon. Get the picture? :p

DLtoker said:
The panty hose are key in this design. Without the panty hose, the activated carbon would fall through the chicken wire. Essentially, there are two cylinders, one inside or the other. Both cylinders are wrapped with the panty hose. I should have taken more pictures... The center of this filter is hollow and the outside ring is filled with the carbon. Get the picture? :p
ahhhhhhhhhhhhh now i see so you have the outer tube of chicken wire, then on the reducer you have a second tube and you put the carbon in the outer tube, and the panty hose is wrapped and cable tied to each tube?

i've gotta make me one of theses

Can anyone post a picture of how they have there fan set up to this design? I'd like to know how many cfm fan is needed with this to vent out a 4 sq ft room, how my drag is created with that filter? Will 100 cfm computer fan do the trick? Lots of questions I know, but I'm only 3 weeks into veg and have an odor issue. Thanks SS.

I have an inline fan directly connected to the filter... pulling air through it. I use a 250 CFM fan... The room was around 600 cubic feet but only 100 cubic feet were used for actually growing in. I can't remember exactly, but I think they say to use a fan big enough to replace the air in your room every 2 minutes??? Maybe it was 10? :p

Anyways for such a small area, a 100 cfm fan should be plenty. :aok:

Yea, I looked up the specs again, its 111.xx cfm. So hopefully I'll be ok. Thanks.

SSwest said:
Thanks for the write up, I'm going to tackle this project tomorrow. But I have some confusion; is it the 6" or 8" tube I see with the duct collar? If its the 8" I see how you could connect it to the reducer, but how would you connect the 6" (inner) tube to the reducer? Or vise versa. I'm just confused on how you get the both connected to the reducer with a tight seal to not leak any cabon out. If you can help it'd be great. Thanks SS.

Haha... Man, When I built this thing, that was the most confusing part and I tried to explain it the best I could... I guess not quite clear enough... Anyways, if you look at the second to last picture, we are looking at the reducer from the 6" side. The duct tape you see in the reducer is holding the duct collar in place in side the reducer. So, on the other side of the reducer, you have both the 6" and 8" places to connect the chicken wire. Hope that helps a little more man.

That helps a bunch, no I can picture this. And am I reading it right? you are using 4" and 6" hose clamps for 6" and 8" end clamps?

Yes, I couldn't find 8" hose clamps anywhere so I just connected two 4" ones to make one 8". ;)

I use this same filter coupled with an elicent 4" fan. It is probably the best thing Overgrow.com gave me LOL. It will last a couple years before you need to change the carbon. You can get the carbon pretty cheap on ebay. 5 gallons for 35.00 US or so. Thansk for posting that up DLtoker, it is really a must of you are going to grow indoors.

I took the write up and put it to good use. In lue of an 8" and 6" design, I opted a bit smaller at 6" and 4". Used a 6" to 5" reducer and the 4" collar fit perfect in it. Just have to tighten up a few things and she's good to go. I bought the large can of activated carbon but I still have a good 3" at the top to fill?

DSC01896.JPG

Cool man! Good to see you used the plans. 3" is quite a bit. I would go to Walmart and pick up a small container for $3.

Latest posts

Back