How often should i feed?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brookside302

Reaction score
Ive read that it is better to give your plant a more diluted solution containing nutrients daily then giving them a more concentrated nutrient solution lets say once or twice a week... I wanna know how often you feed your plants? Do you think i should feed mine everyday or every other day???? (Please growers with experience only)

ok... here is what you need to know... you HAVE to let the plant's roots dry out between watering... it needs to get the air.

this is what you do...

give it a good watering... (enough to saturate the soil... not soak it)

then let it dry out... really easy ;)

brook we talked about this in shout, theres no way for us to tell you how much and how often to feed...the plant will tell you when its hungry. follow all the tips i gave you and youll be fine. dont worry!

remember what i said....less is more.

i look to see if the dirt pulls away from the pot and i feed every feeding during flow

hollywood52 said:
i look to see if the dirt pulls away from the pot and i feed every feeding during flow

buddy... I have to disagree with yaz... some pots are narrower, so the top dries out, and contracts, while the bottom remains moist, if not still damp (mildew), so you cannot rely on that indication alone... some poeple do it by weight... but I use a moisture meter... I KNOW I'm right when I say my pot is dry... :cool: I recommend you get one... for if/when you do... you want to shove the probe all the way to the bottom of the center of the pot... where the concentration of the bottom root system would be. only water when the indicator gets to dry... one can even wait a day with no detrimental effect to the young lady... just to be sure it's had it's chance to breath....

geezuz... I know what I'm talking about here... I've been doing this a long time....

Brook.. "MY" advice.. posting your questions to the forum is always a better, wiser descision. Where the community can comment, troubleshoot and review the advice/information, for validity.
The "real time" nature of the Shoutbox, allows for incorrect and or incomplete, information to be easily passed along, without the benefit of many of our most experienced and knowledgable growers being allowed to review it for additions or corrections.
Simply the exposure of your question to over 5,000 members, greatly increases your odds of full and correct advice.
The shoutbox was implimented as a "Social" device.

The weight test is about as reliable as you can get. Before you feed, lift the pot by hand and roughly judge it's weight. Feed the plant. When the pot weighs roughly the same weight as before it was fed, you know it's time to feed again.

I stick a finger down a couple of inches. If it feels dry I check the weight. Not as scientifically accurate as a meter but works every time.

I would not water everyday. As others said the roots need air ... too much water can cause a whole host of problems. Personally, I water twice a week.

As for experimenting with weakening the nute dosage, do by all means. I feed half the reccommended dose on the back of the bottle. Nutes last twice as long.

:yeahthat: :goodposting: i know its old but maybe someone whos not so experienced will see it on top an maybe help them. i know i myself didnt knwo how to determin when to water or even how much etc when i first started

I go with the weight test as well. The plant usually tells ya when it's ready to be watered by drooping a bit (unless over-watered, in which case it starts to do the same thing). But if your new and unsure a soil moisture meter is an inexpensive investment.

If you stick with a strain (or two) and spend ALOT OF TIME :watchplant: with your plants you will begin to know them like the back of your hand. Err on the side of caution.

Latest posts

Back