do i need an intake fan or is passive enough?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Relentless999

Reaction score
Alright, Im just finishing up my first grow and a passive intake worked great imo for this setup (homebox large 3.2x3.2x6.6, 600hps, 4" inline exhausting tent, 6" sucking heat off the bulb, oscillating fan/no intake, just an intake port on the hb large)..

I just moved that aircooled 600 into a homebox xl(4.6x4.6x6.6).. I also put in a aircooled 400hps.. the 400hps has a 4" inline sucking the heat off and blowing out tent, on the other side of the aircooled 400 its hooked up to a carbon filter.. i put the 6" inline fan sucking the heat off the 600hps bulb, and right now the other side of the coolhood is just open, sucking in air from the tent, eventually ill put a carbon filter on that side of the coolhood..
on the hb xl there is one intake port, just like the hb large..

i didnt run an intake fan on the last setup and it looks like im gonna get 9-11 zones off that 600hps and 8 plants..

i would think a passive intake would work with my current setup too.. what do yall think?

forgot to say, i have a 5200btu ac on when the lights are on and temps are 76* constantly, rh is usually a little less than 50%.

thanks, as always!

What is the CFM on the inline?
Looks almost like you could just roll with it and see what it does.
Is all the a/c blowing in there-or is the a/c real close to passive intake?

GB

lets test run it and see what the temps run at..the 4 inch inline may not be enough ..IMO..i run 6 inch at 250cfm but if ya had good results from first run that way..why change unless it has to be done..good luck...take care and be safe

na I have a 4" inline on the 400hps air cooled and a 6" inline on the 600hps air cooled.. the 6" does 424cfm and the 4" i believe does 178cfm.

the tent is all up and running and temp is at 75 but rh is at 54%.. im thinking about cutting and adding in a 6" flange on the tent, right infront of where the ac blows. Im guessing this will increase intake air flower and will decrease the rh.
what do u guys think?

thanks!

Looks like you got enough cfm to vent good.
The a/c air will be lower in humidity-should work.
If it did'nt, you could always get a small intake booster, say like 75 to 150 cfm.
Good Luck
:)
Gb

I have a 6 in. and a 4 in., 2-400's, A 5x5 room(drywalled) inside garage, no A/C but have a dehumidifier in the garage part. 50-55% RH is the best I've been able to get, up to about 60% on some days...passive intake, 1 in. gap under door + 6 in. hole( only because I changed exhaust location and to lazy to fix hole ). My opinion...I think you have plenty of exhaust power and and if you open up hole for intake (on floor of course), and do the right dance it should bring the RH down that last few %...but it is what it is...my opinion, and let us know what worked!
Are you exhausting into the same room your intake comes from?...that's where I got my RH problem from.

Good idea to have some sort of way to regulate the amount of intake air available to the grow room such as a simple heat/cooling register available at any Lowes or Home depot for a few bucks. That way you can fine tune the flow of fresh air to regulate the hum and temps. I use a similar setup for my cab. Have a good grow brother.

Latest posts

Back