pruning in flowering?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

depetreono

Reaction score
I would like to prune the bottom 3 inches or so of my plants bc light really isn't getting down there to well. I read in a book of cervantes that you shouldn't prune in flowering or a month before bc it can stop the production of flowering hormones. I believe it was due to stress if I remember correctly. Is this true bc I don't want to delay flowering time at all. Do you guys have any opinions on this? And what have you all learned regarding this. I know I can add side lighting but would prefer not to if I don't have to, to help keep electric usage down.

ive taken lower branches right before flower, in the middle of flower and in the end of flower and nothing affected them negativly. you dont want to take too much off at once. but like 4 lower branches or so the platn wont even notice

also have taken off during veg for clones and the such with no negative effects

think about plants outdoors that snap, crack, loose limbs, get chewed on, but keep on keeping on.

Side lighting has very limited benefits. As Herm said, we do need to know how far into flowering you are. If you just put them into flowering, I would go ahead. There is a lot that Jorge says that I disagree with.

His book tends to be his personal opinion which i dislike. Not bc I think he is wrong but bc I like going off fact much more and learning my own opinion. But they are exactly 7 days into flowering today.

And puff I was thinking of that too. That if its smaller amounts the plant won't shock and not stop or slow hormone production to any noticable degree. And I have no problem with pruning in veg bc it doesn't really effect hormone at that time and only slightly slows growth as it heals its little wounds.

Personally I would just remove the bud sites from the lower limbs and leave the leaves alone. At a week into flower you shouldn't have a problem.

depetreono said:
I would like to prune the bottom 3 inches or so of my plants bc light really isn't getting down there to well. I read in a book of cervantes that you shouldn't prune in flowering or a month before bc it can stop the production of flowering hormones. I believe it was due to stress if I remember correctly. Is this true bc I don't want to delay flowering time at all. Do you guys have any opinions on this? And what have you all learned regarding this. I know I can add side lighting but would prefer not to if I don't have to, to help keep electric usage down.

You can easily prune 2 weeks into 12/12, with no ill effects, except better herb.

Cervantes methods are a little outdated these days i have disproven many of his wild claims and fella years back 'Pistilwhipt' from cannabis world used to prune everything just leaving the end 3-4 flowering tips from all his branches and his plants were always superb alas he did this 2 weeks into flower but im with puffin yet again took stuff from plants all the way through flower no ill effects to write home about.
Lol
T4

If he is a bit outdated, does anyone know of a book that's up to date I like to have something I can reference to when I get these questions. And again thank you for the help I ended up doing a small amount of pruning. I still don't like cutting anything off of my girls lol.

a good read

hXXp://www.fastergrowing.com/cannabis/botanybook.php

I prune throughout the entire flowering cycle with no negative effects. When I first put them into flower, I mostly just do a little thinning. After a week or two, I do a major prune where I remove most of the bottom third of the plant. All that little stuff is just a waste of energy. Then I just remove shade leaves here and there til the end of flowering. I'm averaging 5-8oz per plant dry so I would consider that to be no negative effect.

depetreono said:
If he is a bit outdated, does anyone know of a book that's up to date I like to have something I can reference to when I get these questions. And again thank you for the help I ended up doing a small amount of pruning. I still don't like cutting anything off of my girls lol.
In my opinion Marijuana Botany by Clarke is one of the best books on cannabis....it can be a bit dry but that is because unlike Cervantes he quotes scientific facts.:rolleyes:

If you want to read it online for free here is a link to a PDF of it. ziffusion.com/books/General/Jane/Marijuana%20Botany.pdf

I bought it as an Ibook for my Ipad...I use it all the time.

Hamster Lewis said:
In my opinion Marijuana Botany by Clarke is one of the best books on cannabis....it can be a bit dry but that is because unlike Cervantes he quotes scientific facts.:rolleyes:

If you want to read it online for free here is a link to a PDF of it. ziffusion.com/books/General/Jane/Marijuana%20Botany.pdf

I bought it as an Ibook for my Ipad...I use it all the time.

Marijuana Botany

by Robert Connell Clarke
Removing large amounts of leaves may interfere with the metabolic balance of the plant. If this metabolic change occurs too late in the season it could interfere with floral development and delay maturation. If any floral inhibitors are removed, the intended effect of accelerating flowering will probably be counteracted by metabolic upset in the plant. Removal of shade leaves does facilitate more light reaching the center of the plant, but if there is not enough food energy produced in the leaves, the small internal floral clusters will probably not grow any larger. Leaf removal may also cause sex reversal resulting from a metabolic change.

I always prefer scientific evidence over anecdotal observations as well...:)

So how do you know what's too much to remove and what's not? Is it based off a percentage of the plants total leaf mass or mass in general. And if I take small amounts 2-3 times. Will I be able to remove more with no ill effects?
I don't mean to ask so much but I'm a man of details and I want to perfect my grow. And 5-8 oz per plant is amazing.

Different strains grow differently and may need different treatment. There is no one perfect way to do anything. In my 30 years of growing, I have never had an indoor plant larger than 5.5 ozs. I don't know anyone who averages 5-8 ozs and would have to see this to believe it, especially when they trim a 1/3 of the plant away and also trim fan leaves during flowering. Even a 5 oz plant is a huge plant.

There is nothing wrong with being a "man of detail", but what works for someone else might not work for you. No 2 grow spaces are identical--you are going to have to experiment some and find out what works for you. I would never take more than 1/3 of the plant and I never take healthy fan leaves off.

I was not planning on removing fan leaves bc I want them to catch the light. And I personally will not go as far as 1/3 of the plant but just the lower section that will not produce anything worth manicuring at all. i didn't prune at all last grow amd had buds so small at the bottom it wouldn't even load a full bowl. I rather that energy go to something worth haveing is all. I'll see how my little prune goes this time and see if i need to prune a little more next time around. Thanks for all the input guys really helpfull.

WillyGreen28 said:
I prune throughout the entire flowering cycle with no negative effects. When I first put them into flower, I mostly just do a little thinning. After a week or two, I do a major prune where I remove most of the bottom third of the plant. All that little stuff is just a waste of energy. Then I just remove shade leaves here and there til the end of flowering. I'm averaging 5-8oz per plant dry so I would consider that to be no negative effect.

:postpicsworthless:

Willy green how long do you veg to get a yield of 5-8oz? And what strain?

Latest posts

Back