Do you trim any fan leaves?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If this is the case then in order to assure light to everything. Employing LST should be the way to go? Just a newbie's thought....:)
Was the plant that passed the light topped? I was reading somewhere(cant remember where, could have been High TImes) that if you have a plant that is a grower you should flip her sooner. Obviously this will hurt the yield...so it isnt the perfect answer...

You are right, LST is probably the best way to go. Probably why so many people do it. ;)

I have developed a style that works for me over the decades. And, I am challenging that style every day with the new things I learn here. Soon, I may have a new style.

It's always good to experiment and see what works best for you, your room, your lifestyle and your preference.

Yes, LST or at least "exposing more node sites to the main light" is definitely extremely effective!

@ Hackerman: Mannnn, start on some training techniques! :D Get those mains, and as many nodes under that light cover. Matter of fact, it's looking like you're under lit for the size of your grow area sir :( You seem to need another light fixture to help your light footprint.

Hackerman makes the point though, directly, that if bud is covered by a leaf it only seems relevant to tuck, cut, snip, move.. something. If I don't do those things, the bud underneath will be light green / yellowish and not very developed.

What I really need to do is build a bigger room with a taller ceiling. LOL

This room is rectangular. I only use 4x4 for growing. The room is 4x6. The other 2 feet is for me. LOL I have a little stool there and I sit and talk to my girls. LOL

That area also holds the fans and some tools and whatever else I use in the room. Plenty of room for fans and shelves. Has worked out great for years.

And, just yesterday, I was looking at how nicely that room would adapt to 2 lights. LMAO

I hated my 1000w light in this room but 2, 600w lights would give me some incredible coverage. LOL Or, I was thinking about a shuttle.

I am totally changing my style of growing since I came to MP so I don't know, for sure, what I will end up with.

You'll change everything for the better I'm quite sure. This place made me who I am today, now coupled with personal experience and any other "findings" :)

I run two 600's in each of my 4.5 x 4.5 Sun Huts. I used to run only 1 600 in each.. the difference? Amazing!! The density of the buds has tripled, and I mean TRIPLED since doing this. The coverage is now the entire tent, and I worry less about "what's under the light" because the entire tent is lit very well. I had nearly no issues with light bleaching.. the only issue I ever had was getting a bud to close to the lights. But it happened in 3rd week flower and I just tucked the cola over a bit, problem solved. That plant ended up giving me 7.8 oz's that run, and had 3 other roommates.

Seems you're just going to refine what you do here Hackerman, I only started in March of 2013, and I would say I'm rather far along in experience and knowledge. I spent 8-12 hours nearly everyday in the first 3 months just absorbing and retaining as much knowledge as possible. I would watch videos and read things 2-4 times over again just to make sure the knowledge would stick.

Knowledge is power, and to seek no knowledge means no want to strengthen ones self with knowledge. Good to see you seeking and even dropping some knowledge on others in some threads. Cheers! :aok:

buds dont absorb light leafs do moving or removing a leaf to give a bud more light just is a waste just my 2 cents

oh and i see alot of talk about indoor this is outdoor two totally different ball games in my opinion

But ....but.... Sugar Leaves!! hahah :)

Yeah, my OCD drives me nuts and I just ... I just have to man. I can't help myself!

OD *sigh* I sure would love to give that a try. Seems fun :D

I think I may have to find a spot for 1 or 2 this next season.

I love hearing any and all opinions and facts. It's great stuff! :aok:

Even though my argument is on the side of trimming, I never trim anything unless it's dying.

I move things around and train them a little to maximize my setup but I never trim.

My argument is more that a bud will be bigger and juicier if it is in direct light rather than not in direct light. Although, I believe it is wrong to trim any leaf that is a working part of the factory, if you can expose the buds to direct light it is better.

LST seems to be the obvious answer here. I have never done it but I have seen it done and it really looks like the way to go.

I don't grow outdoors but if I did I would not trim any fan leaves. I would think the sun has some pretty good penetrating power. Indoors I do indeed trim fan leaves, especially now that I am all LED in Flower. I wouldn't recommend it to new growers though. Jmo.

Should have read better, I leave my outdoor plants alone.

I clean up the bottoms outdoor still, but not because of the lighting. More air flow, less low bushy stuff risking water splashing on it and getting mold. And way too much popcorny scrap down at the lowest quarter.

Ok My outdoor lady is about 6' each branch is loaded with flowers that are getting bulk I noticed that the large fan leaves toward the bottom are the first to start dying off, this I think is normal? my worry is that even on sunny days she only gets a half a day of sunshine because there is a tree that eventually blocks the sun. The plant is on a plant dolly that sits on my patio, I'm wondering if I should bring her indoors and put her under HPS to finish? We usually get a killing frost in mid to late oct. Peace, Mr.420

Many, if not most pot plants (especially Sativa strains) can have bottom leaves that yellow and fall off during flowing. If the rest of the plant looks good (especially, new growth) you're probably OK.

I trim off if they are at least half yellow bc if the leaf is dieing now when you trim it...the nutrition that the leaf was getting gets spread out through the good buds and leaves I say if it starts turning yellow taker down... Its only going to help the plant not harm it.

Yeah, I had a bit of a chuckle as I was plucking my 1/2 - 3/4 yellow fan leaves tonight, as I thought of this thread.

Latest posts

Back