Stealth grow cabinet, Cyber Crystal under CFLs (first grow)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bent526

Reaction score
Hey folks.

I've been around here for a few weeks now, and I have finally decided to put my grow up here in a journal. I've had several trials and tribulations along the way with these seedlings but I think I've now got things mostly under control.

First off, I got 10 seeds but for some reason only 5 of them germed. Not sure why I had the horrible germ rate. I did everything suggested (used paper towel and plate in a plastic bag on top of the fridge) but couldn't get more than 5 to pop. Oh well, let's just hope at least a couple are female.

During the initial two weeks I had these babies in Peat Pots (Jiffy Pots) in a Vermiculite, Perlite and Peat Moss mixture that was pH corrected with lime. They grew fine for the first week and then just stopped growing and started to turn yellow. Thanks to the help of a few peeps over in the problems section I decided to try transplanting them into different soil. Ever since then they have been growing like champs! I would warn anyone against using those Jiffy pots they leach moisture away and dry out waaay too fast.

I'm now growing them in 4" plastic pots in a combination of two soils that I had around the house comprised of Perlite, Peat Moss, Humus, Compost and Sand. Also I'm watering with bottled spring water. They seem to be loving life for the most part. :D

Lighting is 4 x 27w daylight, and 2 x 23w warm CFLs. I am actually starting to think that they like the warm CFLs better. I've read the same thing from a few other people on this site. Doesn't seem to make sense, but the proof is in the growth!

It's pretty dry in my place so I have left some water open in the grow cabinet to evaporate and increase the humidity level.

I killed one seedling by experimenting with a MG soil that dried up literally overnight and left the thing dead. Won't do that again. Now I'm down to four pretty healthy plants.

Question:
The plant in the back on the right (labelled N00b, also appears in the LAST picture) seems to be drooping a bit in comparison to the rest of them. I am watering them all the same amount about once every two days. This guy seems to retain a bit more water, so I suspect it's over-watering. I am not sure though and wanted to run it by you experts here for some feedback. What do you think?

Question 2: Should I start giving them nutes?

In general I am extremely happy with how these plants are staying short and really bushy. I can't believe it actually, they aren't growing up much at all--just getting all fat and wide. Yay.

Would love to hear any feedback!

IMG_5627.jpg

IMG_5628.jpg

IMG_5631.jpg

IMG_5632.jpg

IMG_5634.jpg

Hey folks. No responses, but I am going to keep on talking to myself anyway :) I was wondering if you guys could take a look and tell me if this is a sign of sex or not... I think maybe it's just a new little leaf coming out but I got all excited and wanted to see what you guys thought.

This is my star plant, it's growing like crazy! Shocks me every morning when I wake up and take a look at it :)

I am going to pick up some nutes today. I think I'll be getting some superthrive and fox farm nutes if possible.

Would love some feedback!

gimpy.png

lookin real healthy man , these micro grows are getting crazy! if ya ever need any help theres tons of micro grow journals up now. even mine!

I'm having a tough time with the plant pictured in the back right of my grow cabinet. It's drooping worse than ever. I think I'm going to lose it and I can't figure out why. I'm feeding them all on the same schedule, once every two days -- I use my finger to check the soil dryness and it's always dry before watering...

I thought it was underwatering, but it should perk up within an hour of watering if that is the case, right? I just watered it and am seeing no results. I think I'll wait at least three days before watering it again if it survives. I'm sad because it was the strongest plant at one point. Also kinda confused because the rest of them seem to be doing great.

Give us some additional shots of the one you say losing it :)

They all look great to me, keep up the good work. Little early to sex them, but keep your eyes open. In regards to nutes I say NO, sounds like you are just getting in this soil. Give it another week to ten days before you start feeding.

:yeahthat: also your plants look nice in the pics you posted good luck :tokie:

Thanks for all your encouraging comments. Here are some pics of the droopy plant. I got convinced that it wasn't watered enough because the droop was getting worse the other day and gave it a drink. The next morning it had perked up a bit, but now it is once again looking rather pathetic.

Some of the bottom leaves are yellowing, as you can see.

I am feeding them once every two days, it's pretty warm (26-27 degrees) and I have a fan blowing on them so the pots feel dry after two days. I'm not sure what I am doing wrong.

I gave them very diluted nutes (FoxFarm Grow Big) with the last watering.

I would usually water them again today, as it's been two days but I am thinking of holding off until tomorrow. What do you guys think?

Pics of the problem plant attached.

IMG_5645.jpg

IMG_5651.jpg

Ganja_Greg said:
are you feeding them Fertalizer?

I just started to on the last watering. Fox Farm Grow Big. Diluted to about 1/4 strength.

Bent526 said:
I just started to on the last watering. Fox Farm Grow Big. Diluted to about 1/4 strength.

Hey Friend did you try letten them dry out four days? then come back with 1/4 nute?

Have you done a Transplant ????More info Bro

4u2smoke said:
Have you done a Transplant ????More info Bro

(quoted from my first post)
During the initial two weeks I had these babies in Peat Pots (Jiffy Pots) in a Vermiculite, Perlite and Peat Moss mixture that was pH corrected with lime. They grew fine for the first week and then just stopped growing and started to turn yellow. Thanks to the help of a few peeps over in the problems section I decided to try transplanting them into different soil.

soooo...

yeah, i have transplanted them from tiny little jiffy pots to these 4" pots. They have grown quite a bit, but I don't think they are root bound yet! I am a total n00b though and could be wrong... however I see no roots coming out of the bottom, and they've only been in the new pots for about 2 weeks.

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!

4u2smoke said:
Hey Friend did you try letten them dry out four days? then come back with 1/4 nute?

No I haven't tried letting them dry out for four days. I am going to give them three days this time and see if they perk up at all.

I am paranoid though. The soil gets really dry after 2.5 days, should I let it get bone dry? I thought that they liked a bit of moisture?

Thanks.

everything looking good so far will keep an eye on this one

Bent526 said:
No I haven't tried letting them dry out for four days. I am going to give them three days this time and see if they perk up at all.

I am paranoid though. The soil gets really dry after 2.5 days, should I let it get bone dry? I thought that they liked a bit of moisture?

Thanks.

You want the top couple inches of soil to be dry before watering.

Try this, if your plant is drooping give it a good watering and wait 3-4 hours, if it perked up it was thirsty.
If you see no results let it dry out more and see if it perks up.

Dont give it nutes as this will complicate the diagnosis
your plant is fine for now without nutes if its in soil.

A couple more shots of the one that's wilting badly. I did fertilize with Fox Farm Grow Big at 1/4 strength -- it was their first time. But the plant is over three weeks old, and also the oval leaves have long since dried and fallen off.

Notice the white tips?

droopy.jpg

droopy2.jpg

id lay off the ferts and stop watering for acouple days...

i bet it will fix your problem.. a common mistake of ppl starting off is over watering it happens to the best of us. you can actually let the soil dry completely out before having to water again..

its how i killed my first plant =P

Yo bent nice grow man! I was wonderin where did u get those cool bulb splitters. Its awesome how u can split the bulb so each fixture can take 2.

Latest posts

Back