3x3 veg tent - how many clones does it fit

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HazePhase

Reaction score
hello everyone.

I'm going to be vegging for 9 weeks.
Using clones in a 3x3 which will flower in a 5x5 tent after the 9 week veg.

My question is how many clones will fit in a 3x3 tent for vegging for 9 weeks.

Thanks so much.

It will depend on the strain, but probably around 4.

Something to consider is, not how many clones can fit in your veg tent but rather, how many plants can you flower in your flower space. It always take more room to flower than veg.

e.g. My standard routine is to take clones from my plants just before sending them off to flower. I start by taking 40 clones. All in 16 oz Solo cups placed in flats trays with domes. 10 cups per tray. 4 trays. This fits very nicely in my 3x5 tent under my 2x4 T5 light.

4 weeks later When I go from Solo cups to #1 nursery pots (3 quart) I take the strongest 21 plants out of the 40 and use those (3 rows of 7 pots) and toss or give the others away to friends.

About 4 or 5 weeks later (depending on the strain that's in the flowering room) I take the strongest 16 plants of the 21 and they go into #3 nursery pots (about 2 gallon), and I place those 16 pots in a 4x4 room under a single 1000 watt light for flowering.

About every 9 weeks, I harvest about 20 - 24 ounces of premo cola to popcorn.

I would love to think that I could flower all 40 of the original clones that I took but, flowering space is at a premium for me (as I believe it is for most) and, it's actually THAT space that determines how many clones I take.

Just a perspective to consider.

I also use the "paring down" approach. I can only flower 3 plants at a time. I start with 6 seedlings/clones and then as they get bigger, and I do branch training/topping, I hold on to the best 3 for flower and then take cuttings to begin again. In a 5x5 tent I used to grow 4 plants and (my best pull from that space was 26z with just 4 plants.

HOWEVER, that will depend on the strain of plants you are growing and if they are all going to be the same strain. Pairing different strains together in the same space can get challenging if they are different in structure. I have had this problem myself with Sativa dominant structure plants trying to bury my Indica structure plant.

Strain phenotypes are important to consider here as well. some low growing Indicas would be much smaller in a 5x5 than 4 leggy Sativas. You also have to consider the amount of stretch those plants will have.

But generally, for hybrids most of the time, My opinion is 4 plants for good all around growth in a 4x4 or 5x5 :)

Latest posts

Back