will seeds from hermie plant only produce hermies

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not all bag seed is hermie....its NOT about the seed its about the genetics of the plant it came from. It is possible that someone planted seeds and didn't get all the males out, therefore the females got pollinated and produces seeds. That in no way makes the seeds hermies..it means some will be male and some will be female.

ronnie77 said:
Not all bag seed is hermie....its NOT about the seed its about the genetics of the plant it came from. It is possible that someone planted seeds and didn't get all the males out, therefore the females got pollinated and produces seeds. That in no way makes the seeds hermies..it means some will be male and some will be female.

And would you take the chance? If you dont now then there is a 33% chance it could be female to a 66% chance it could be a hermi or male. i wouldn't take that gamble.

ronnie77 said:
'Possible'?.. Yes... 'probable'.. not so much ;)
.... or it could have been 'hemp' pollen blown in, or from a neighbors garden, (what is he growing?) :confused2:.. in any of the scenarios, it "could" be pollen from a desirable male, but the odds are certainly against it. Since the male in any parentage contributes 50% to the pool...:hubba: The "seed" IS.. "the genetics".
Since virtually everyone is trying to grow the highest quality product possible. They are growing seedless females (sensimillia). A seed in sensi bud "usually" indicates an accidental pollination. Accidental pollinations occur 'most often' from an errant staminate flower, whether caused by some environmental stress factor or from weak/poor genetic combination. It is still a hermi'. And by continuing to procreate with such seeds, you are essentially, selectively breeding in favor/for that characteristic.
You are correct, 'not "all" bagseeds are hermi. But the odds of them being more prone to hermaphradism (sp) is far greater than from a 'selective' breeding, with a chosen male.

I spent my first 3 years growing strictly from bagseed AKA hermies 80% of the time. Out of about 100 plants, maybe 10 were hermie, lots of good info on this site, but i think this is more myth than reality.

I'll not risk even one! I had a hermie from a heat stress issue, she went unnoticed until too late and am now dealing with the fallout (literally lol, a fallout of seed in my beautiful babes). So, even if the chances are 10% they're hermie, they're not going in my garden!!!

"Hermies procreate hermies".. there's no "myth" to that. Simple genetics, breeding.

hXXp://www.hobart.k12.in.us/jkousen/Biology/mendel.htm

Latest posts

Back