flushing before harvest?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Growdude said:
What harsh/taste are you trying to get rid of?
My plants taste sweet and smooth.

I wonder the same thing, Growdude. Some strains are harsh as hell no matter what you do to them. Some are not.

Any real testing of a process involves what is known as "Double Blind" testing.

Until a real Botanist actually does a double blind test on "Flushing", it's still nothing but a myth that is as popular as Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy.

Most people LOVE to swear by myths.

Honest, a friend of mine knew a guy who knew a guy who knew a lady who actually SAW the Tooth Fairy kissing Santa while he was flushing the freakin Christmas Tree!

Carboload. Ive used it and Ive not used it. I have eyes and and perfect use of all my senses. It makes your weed better. Dig your heels in as far as you want, it dont make you right. and I might add that I tried carboload after several referals from grower, not the used car salesman.

And as for flushing all the asian growers Iknow dont flush. No one likes their weed, No one. As for the dutch Im gonna have to repeat that they know what they're doing, but hey we could just listen to YOU

gangalama said:
And as for flushing all the asian growers Iknow dont flush. No one likes their weed, No one. As for the dutch Im gonna have to repeat that they know what they're doing, but hey we could just listen to YOU

Some people will hold on to anything because its what they believe.
Hey the dutch do it thats good enough for me:rolleyes: .

Well ive tryed it and I know what my results are, not seen any from you.

Do your own testing dont believe anything anyone tell you.

gangalama said:

Dude, lighten up.

Like I said, I've been growing weed for 40+ years.

I'll stick with what I like. You stick with what you like.

It's all good.

Did you hear about the Mama Mole, the Papa Mole and the Baby Mole that were down in their mole hole?

Well, they smelled something that was FANTASTIC!

The Papa Mole, he sticks his head outta the hole and he says, "I smell PANCAKES!"

The Mama Mole, she pokes her head just past the Papa Moles head and squeezes up and says, "I smell BUTTER!"

The Baby mole, he wiggles and pokes and tries to get past, but he can't! He yells out, "I smell Moleasses!"

HAHAHAHAHA, let's all lighten up a bit. If you like to use Molasses on your plants, who am I to care.

Molasses *has* been proven to help improve soil. However, it's also been proven by Botanists that cane sugar does not in any way get absorbed by any plant. I'll welcome any proof from a scientist that shows different.

Peace to all !

Anecdotal evidence is an informal account of evidence in the form of an anecdote, or hearsay. The term is often used in contrast to scientific evidence, as evidence that cannot be investigated using the scientific method. The problem with arguing based on anecdotal evidence is that anecdotal evidence is not necessarily typical; only statistical evidence can determine how typical something is. Misuse of anecdotal evidence is a logical fallacy.

Scientific method is a body of techniques for investigating phenomena, acquiring new knowledge, or correcting and integrating previous knowledge. It is based on gathering observable, empirical and measurable evidence subject to specific principles of reasoning. A scientific method consists of the collection of data through observation and experimentation, and the formulation and testing of hypotheses.
Although procedures vary from one field of inquiry to another, identifiable features distinguish scientific inquiry from other methodologies of knowledge. Scientific researchers propose hypotheses as explanations of phenomena, and design experimental studies to test these hypotheses. These steps must be repeatable in order to predict dependably any future results.

While in some cases, Anecdotal evidence is sometimes proven by Scientific method, in itself, it isn't proof of anything because of it's lack of documentation in exactness and repeatability, which can only be done via Double Blind testing to prove an absolute result.

Double-blind trials:

Double-blind describes an especially stringent way of conducting an experiment, usually on human subjects, in an attempt to eliminate subjective bias on the part of both experimental subjects and the experimenters. In most cases, double-blind experiments are held to achieve a higher standard of scientific rigour.

In a double-blind experiment, neither the individuals nor the researchers know who belongs to the control group and the experimental group. Only after all the data are recorded (and in some cases, analyzed) do the researchers learn which individuals are which. Performing an experiment in double-blind fashion is a way to lessen the influence of the prejudices and unintentional physical cues on the results (the placebo effect, observer bias, and experimenter's bias). Random assignment of the subject to the experimental or control group is a critical part of double-blind research design. The key that identifies the subjects and which group they belonged to is kept by a third party and not given to the researchers until the study is over.

Double-blind methods can be applied to any experimental situation where there is the possibility that the results will be affected by conscious or unconscious bias on the part of the experimenter.

Stoney Bud said:
Yes, I'm speaking from both a Botanical point of view and from more than 40 years of growing weed.
so then you think the bud gets better or what? just cus i dont understand.
thats a lot if time. mabe it doenst matter, do what you do and well do what we do.

headband said:
so then you think the bud gets better or what? just cus i dont understand.
thats a lot if time. mabe it doenst matter, do what you do and well do what we do.

Yes, it is a lot of time and hundreds of crops. I've seen no difference in flushed or unflushed weed. As I keep saying, I've switched them around and people keep picking whichever one I *say* is flushed, or not, depending on the set of their mind PRIOR to trying the weed.

That is why a double blind test has to be done to prove it. That type of test removes any possibility of bias.

But, as you say, do what you like to do with your own weed. If jumping on one foot while humming rock music makes you think your weed tastes better, then jump and hum away!

Good luck to each of you, and I hope your crops are many and strong.

you kno, ive have never noticed the difference before either, but it seems logical to flush out all the Salts and what not..... doesnt it??? cant hurt.

Stoney Bud said:
Yes, it is a lot of time and hundreds of crops. I've seen no difference in flushed or unflushed weed. As I keep saying, I've switched them around and people keep picking whichever one I *say* is flushed, or not, depending on the set of their mind PRIOR to trying the weed.

That is why a double blind test has to be done to prove it. That type of test removes any possibility of bias.

But, as you say, do what you like to do with your own weed. If jumping on one foot while humming rock music makes you think your weed tastes better, then jump and hum away!

Good luck to each of you, and I hope your crops are many and strong.

If you want to then go right ahead AH. ;)

Quit arguing about it and follow Nike's advice. Just do it. :p

Salt build-up from chem ferts can create imbalances and cause trouble in the soil. So I say flush em out. Excessive "N" can make it harsh with CHEM ferts only in soil. Mainly cheap ferts I noticed problems with like the neon green MG all prupose. You guys can beleive me or not don't really care. Not gonna argue. Now with hi-end nutrients and soil...prolly no different flushed or unflushed... again ONLY with really cheap ferts did i notice it. I don't know why...I'm not a botanist. Just noticed it wasn't good smoke compared to one I flushed. I do know that chems "force feed" the nutrients to the plant. Flushing makes the plant use up whats left in the plant prior to harvest. If this wasn't true than fert burn would NOT happen. where organic this is not the case. (organic can get burnt but not as easily as chem ferts)
Organic does not have that problem. So no need to flush. There is a lot I still have to learn about organic. I read everyday.

But as far as everything else.
We all do things different and end up with great end products. Thats what matters. Giving many options and letting the grower figure out what works best for them. Not much use aurguing. Try it or don't, to me I'll give it a shot if its not off the wall too bad. If it works great I'll keep doing it...if it don't then on to another thing. We are ALL learning constantly whether 1st grow or 100th grow....still should be learning. Until its tried it should not be commented on by someone.

BTW: I gotta say....the 3lb are as close to scientists for MJ as we are gonna get. At least there comprisons aren't blind. Most gardners growing maters are more into yeild. Not factors of potency and overall flavor of the herb. So until its legal and allowed to be experimented with in a lab we'll never know for sure. There is valid documentation on mollassas some on this site, but that ain't all thats out there. I will be trying it next grow as this flower is still got chems and cannot use mollassas. Next grow is all organic. So then I will know. I just go by what I see and the ones that have used mollassas in organic mediums were down right amazing. Just because a botanist did not log in here and give me scientific data, doesn't mean its not true.
hope I didn't step on any toes....just the way I see things. I'm out.

SmokinMom said:
If you want to then go right ahead AH. ;)

Quit arguing about it and follow Nike's advice. Just do it. :p

*sigh*....i wasnt arguing. i only read the post above mine. i was just saying what i thought.

i dont flush for harvest just the general well being of the plant. i reveg mine so there is a constant salt battle. youll notice that after a flush the plant will have a burst of growth. always a nice thing.

Ekoostik_Hookah said:
you kno, ive have never noticed the difference before either, but it seems logical to flush out all the Salts and what not..... doesnt it??? cant hurt.

Yes, it is good to flush if you have a salt buildup. That can occur at any time in a soil grow if you use the incorrect amount of nutes.

However, it involves nutrient take up, which in turn involves the health of the plant. I don't believe that the flavor of the weed or harshness of the weed has anything at all what-so-ever to do with flushing of the soil.

Flushing a perfectly healthy plant just before harvesting it is unnecessary.

Mutt said:
the 3lb are as close to scientists for MJ as we are gonna get. At least there comprisons aren't blind. Most gardners growing maters are more into yeild. Not factors of potency and overall flavor of the herb. So until its legal and allowed to be experimented with in a lab we'll never know for sure. There is valid documentation on mollassas some on this site, but that ain't all thats out there.

There have been thousands of tests done on marijuana in labs across the world. Lots and lots of real scientists work with it on a daily basis. It's turned every which way but loose. If you do a Google on Scientific testing of Marijuana, you'll discover that it IS allowed to be tested in any qualified lab and is so tested. Mostly in respect to it's use as a med. However, in all the testing I've read of, none has been done on "flushing" to improve flavor or harshness of the plant when smoked.

Yes, as I've said, molasses has been proven in scientific testing to improve the soil in SOME cases. Again, it's not been tested with marijuana by anyone in the field of science when applied to marijuana.

As for the "I just go by what I see and the ones that have used mollassas in organic mediums were down right amazing." That's exactly what I'm talking about. You have no idea what else influenced that growth in those grows. You're using Anecdotal evidence to try to prove a scientific point, which is a logical fallacy and doesn't mean a thing. I'm not trying to step on any toes either. I'm trying to get an understanding of what a scientific test involves that WOULD prove something.

I can't make that any clearer.

Latest posts

Back