non-submersible pump question?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zem

Reaction score
so i have this pump non-submersible type pics 1&2 its strength is 36Litres/min and power consumption is 0.37kw 1/2 hp i havent used this type of pumps only used submersible so far(pic 3).the submersile pump is rated 25L/min and 37 watts. now this looked strange to me since the power consumption varies this much with the pumping power varying alot less. 0.37 kw is 370 watts that is 10x more electric power consumption and pumping power only 1.44x more than the submersible pump and what does 1/2 hp motor mean? i wana figure out if i use it or not since i already have it, thanks for any help cheers :)

IMG_4309 (Custom).jpg

IMG_4307 (Custom).jpg

IMG_4312 (Custom).jpg

zem said:
so i have this pump non-submersible type pics 1&2 its strength is 36Litres/min and power consumption is 0.37kw 1/2 hp i havent used this type of pumps only used submersible so far(pic 3).the submersile pump is rated 25L/min and 37 watts. now this looked strange to me since the power consumption varies this much with the pumping power varying alot less. 0.37 kw is 370 watts that is 10x more electric power consumption and pumping power only 1.44x more than the submersible pump and what does 1/2 hp motor mean? i wana figure out if i use it or not since i already have it, thanks for any help cheers :)

The blue pump is 1/2 horsepower and is a self priming pump. Its used in a more industrial situation where the water may need to be pumped up to the moter.

Thats the H max, or how far max above the water level it will pump.

Reactions: zem
The pumps work very differently. One runs on a diaphram (your new one) and will provide the same pressure regardless of load to a certain degree. The other is a mag pump and sucks butt when under load. Mag pumps rarely deliver their quoted output except under ideal circumstances. The diaphram pump on the other hand will maintain pressure under load. So basically its all marketing, you got yourself a good pump now though.

Tater said:
The pumps work very differently. One runs on a diaphram (your new one) and will provide the same pressure regardless of load to a certain degree. The other is a mag pump and sucks butt when under load. Mag pumps rarely deliver their quoted output except under ideal circumstances. The diaphram pump on the other hand will maintain pressure under load. So basically its all marketing, you got yourself a good pump now though.

The blue one is a impeller pump, but is not a mag coupling. This is a fixed displacement pump and will out pump the mag pump.

As i said its designed to lift a column of water and does not need to be primed.

Definitely 2 different animals.

thank you for the replies :) , 36L/min 370watts vs 25L/min 37watt it didnt make sense to me. i thought there must be somethin wrong with the figures but you've explained to me clearly hmmm it's 370watts then... thats too much power for a pump to be used several times/day + i'm worried it would flood my room quick if somethin goes wrong i dont need this power in my grow, would've been good if i were aero feedin but i do DWC i will keep it aside it's still unused but it's been lyin there since few years back i'll use it for my home next time the pump breaks and i guess i need to buy a new submersible grrrrrr

hey there, i have a question about my submersible pumps they have like an air hose attachemet at the exit of the pump it is T shaped with asmall air hose attachement, it says on its box that its also an air pump and they gave me an air hose with a kind of valve at its end, theres no manual or instructions, how does this work??

the line allows air to be sucked up with the water. Will have air bubbles in water. Like hot tubs where you turn the knob to add more aeration.

pcduck said:
the line allows air to be sucked up with the water. Will have air bubbles in water. Like hot tubs where you turn the knob to add more aeration.
strange thing is that the line is at the exit of the pump that is where the pump throws water out so i thought it would be pumping water out of this airhose too :confused: how would it suck air and pump it with water?

yeah that tee fitting you are talking about is called a venturi. it works when the fast moving water passes the hole(venturi) & naturally creates a low pressure causing the air to be induced into the water. your blue pump is capable of pumping a higher head column of water. i noticed on your aquarium pump it said 2.4m head. meaning it only going to pump or pull water a good 6' before it cant anymore. blue one will blow that away.

forget the blue pump im not using it, too many watts for a pump in my room, i was talkin about my new pumps i bought submersible type, ok so i guess it will suck air with the water but if i have my hose exit over the water level that waterfall in my tray wouldnt aerate the water? another question, should my pump be constantly pumping if i'm growing in DWC tray? i am not using a bubbler,i think it's causing me a decrease in my yield, how do you guys use the pumps for sufficient aeration of the res? i have read so many times about nft and how pumps can sufficiently provide O2 to the roots but i think i'm doing something wrong there, thanks for the replies

are you growing ebb&flow/flood and drain or DWC?

Or are you just circulating water through out a system of trays?? If doing this, I would suggest the use of air stones.

I run my air stone 24/7 in my buckets

duck i'm recirculating water through a big tray, i used to grow ebb&flo but switched to DWC and noticed decrease in yields . so along with that pump i should run my bubbler you think? i thought a pump could sufficiently aerate my res like in NFT, my tray is 30gallon how much air pumping would i need? isthere someform=ula for liters of air/ liters of water? lets hope i can get things right this time, i transplant today, if it dont go as i wish i will have to go back to my grorocks and buckets flood and drain system, i'll really hate to do that,
thanks

You are losing me on the tray part? Are your plants in this tray? Or is this tray just a res? Does this tray have a lid that is completely light proof?

this is a pic, under it theres a control res, but i have no airstones in it, just a water pump in the control res

xzx (WinCE).jpg

Need air stones in tray asap

zem said:
duck i'm recirculating water through a big tray, i used to grow ebb&flo but switched to DWC and noticed decrease in yields . so along with that pump i should run my bubbler you think? i thought a pump could sufficiently aerate my res like in NFT, my tray is 30gallon how much air pumping would i need? isthere someform=ula for liters of air/ liters of water? lets hope i can get things right this time, i transplant today, if it dont go as i wish i will have to go back to my grorocks and buckets flood and drain system, i'll really hate to do that,
thanks

I don't think I would call this a DWC--it still seems like an ebb and flow to me with the plants in a tray. With DWC, you have plants with their roots partially suspended in highly aerated water/nute solution. I run 2 air stones in ever bucket 24/7, but each bucket is its own res and I do not recirc my nutes.

yes THG these are netpots their roots are suspended in a nute solution tray and under it theres acontrol res with a pump that feeds that tray.water falls back into the res from the side of the tray where i have a hole that keeps my water level where i want it. i thought that this could be done with a normal water pump and that the waterfal would be sufficient to air my solution. actually i read somewhere that a water pump is more efficient in airing the water than airstones, maybe i will place 2 air pumps for the tray and run the 24/7, so i'll only be using the control res to keep the level of my solution in the tray, IDK why i bothered to buy bigger water pumps :rolleyes: i thought i needed more pumping power to better air my solution... i'm hoping this will solve my problem, i will transplant today and see the results, i'm hoping to see the vigorous growth i used to see in my flood&drain.
another question, what do you do in hot summers when water temps go up to 80?

not grow or use water chillers

pcduck said:
not grow or use water chillers
...or go back to flood and drain, they used to grow well in summers in grorocks i think it's cuz theres too much fresh air being sucked to the roots at every drain

Latest posts

Back