leftys hydroponic grow room (Building a hydro ebb and flow system)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lefty said:
just had a q on ur lights. u use the best .(caddy u called it)...using the upgrades do they save alot of electricity.(dont want my bill to skyrocket).thanx

I'm not sure what you mean when you say you are using "upgrades", in reference to your lights.

My lights are Hortilux, LU 430S/HTL/EN, Super HPS. They have a perfect spectrum for flowering. I've used them for the vegetative cycle too, and they work very well. Each light puts out 58,500 lumens.

My grow area is 19.25 square feet. By using two of these lights, I have 6,078 lumens per/sq/ft of area. That's maxed out.

I use hydro with the best nutrients money can buy. That's maxed out.

I buy my seeds from a professional. They are all world class seeds. I'm not spending all this money and growing something unknown out of some bag of weed I bought from the street, so that's maxed out.

I've grown "Mother" plants from this seed and I use cuttings for the clones I grow as known females, so that's maxed out.

You're going to be using the same hydroponics I use. If you use the Gen Hydro nutes I suggested, you'll have your grow method maxed, your nutes maxed and now it's time to tell me the lumens per/light of the bulbs you're planning to use. I suggest mine, but they are expensive. Everything that is top shelf is always expensive. You can compromise and use lesser quality lights and save some bucks. Just watch your lumens and the spectrum of the bulb.

You seem to be trying to rush the completion of your setup. Rushing will get you in trouble. Take your time and if school starts, then just set aside an hour a night to work on it if it's not done yet. We're getting very close to building the hydro unit. As soon as you tell me that you've got the PVC gluing down pat, we'll put this thing together.

Read the DIY instructions real close. I explain how far the overflow holes are from the top of the grow chambers and why. Let me know if you don't understand what I've put there.

Have you picked up your grow tubs also?

The Afghani seeds from Nirvana will work just fine man. I have the same seeds. This will be great smoke for you.

all i meant was "the best" i guess i mean the most expensive.or the best quality. i want to say;if i buy the best quality hps lights will there b a difference in my light bill as if i would use a low quality lamp.?dont get me wrong i m going to try to git the exact same one u have(ha) .(skimping on the quality of lights will show i no!)but i might git some side lights (flos) or not as expensive hds). i just dont want to run the electric bill through thr roof .i can pay it i just dont want to arouse susspition ya no?.....thanx leftythe more lights the more elect. ino!........lefty i just wanted to git somethings done b fore school starts. i dont eant to rush yet,i want to perfect my gluing abilities going to work on that now ,will talk when im done to let u no how it went. im really not in a big hurry aint even got my seeds yet. im going to do this rightso hang in there w/ me through all my dumb qs tanx staney and mutt and everybody for helping make my dream a reality.(did itell u i go to school on mon for hydro horticulture and agriculture.cool huh?!!!?...........THANX LEFTY OH YA PICKED UP JORGE CEVENTES INDOOR /OUTDOOR GROW .i got the weekends to work on it too. but ill also have to study . this might b a project for school (ya right)BIBLE what a great book.

Hey Lefty, gonna pop in for a sec. I use a regular ole HPS 5 bucks a pop for a 250W. and grow just fine. From what I "seen" around the high end HPS seem to be better if using for veg as well. but as far as flower. I have very good results with the lower end bulb and haven't been motivated to spend the extra 30 bucks a bulb. But thats just me. but I do not veg with my HPS. Seems to me its something you can save money on for the initial set up as you have been forkin over some bucks for this set-up. A better bulb is something you can invest in something later. IMHO.

BTW excellent book for the library.

rights now i have a 400 watt hps with a bat wing reflector and 4 compact flouros in the 2 fer (divided) light reflector from home depot(lowes i actually got them for half the price there than u got them in the thread "under 40 bucks.") i am planning on getting the hortolux lu 430 that s.b recommends when i find it.i still need to pick up the specified ballast for the hps i got at a hard ware store and the clerk new nothing about the ballasts they had. ill go to lowes and pick it up today or h.d.

stoney im getting the pieces together b for the glu dries took alittle preactice and some materials but i think im good. still get a wee bit of glu on the outsides but i think i can manage !! what now???!!did i tell u guys thanx..........?lefty MUTT where are u getting them for 5 at h.d.? im going to a local hardware store and the guys prices are outragous!?

this will b my last post until i git out of school on monday(u ought to c thier green houses)ill let everyone no how it goes about 5 tommarrow .stone hopefully ull left me some messages by then i think i have the gluing down pat . got a piece i can cut and practice w.tonight.glu keeps seeming to seep dont want to put too little in?! seeya after school.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!thanx lefty

Hey Lefty, good to hear that you have the PVC gluing down. It's easy once you know what to expect.

I would suggest that you get a digital ballast for your HPS. The difference in how your light will work is worth the money.

Ok, have you looked at the DIY instructions and pics? This is what you're building. Let me know if you're ready to start building the tubs, pvc and hoses.

The bulkhead fitting packages will tell you what size hole to drill for them. You'll need a "Hole Saw" to do this with. Have you already got it?

You're almost ready to go man.

I hope school went well for you today. Take one of those greenhouses apart and ship it to me will ya?

im very tired from the 1st 2v days! i have to git up early!!!! but its COOL AS HELL and me and my partner whos cool too are in control of our own pcv manival hydroponics system.35 planters on i pieline and there are 7 pipelines.this thing can pump out some yield. me and the hydro teacher were talking about flowering andbsodium lights.hes hip 2 2nd person there.i should learn alot about growing peppers and basil!YAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THIS PLACE ROCKS. THEY HAVE RESIVIORS OF FERTZ AND NUTES THAT ARE ABOUT 1000 GALLONS.PIPELINES EVERYWHERE CO2,....... FANS AS BIG AS THE WALL!!!SWEET! WELL STONEY IM PUMPED WHATS NEXT? WERE READING A BOOK FROM THE AUTHER DIRR. ITS ABOUT THE CLASSIFICATION OF WOODY PLANTS.. THERES NO CANNIBUS IN IT . THERE FOR I SUFFICE THAT CANNIBUS IS HERBVACIOS OR NOT WOODY.THERES A BOOK CALLED HORTUS WHICH HAS ALL CLASSIFICATION OF PLANTS.WELL TILL TOM. LEFTY..THANX FOR LISTEN TO ME RAMBLE.......LATER

sup all got home from taking care of and cloning orchids all day. ery interesting the same things apply find first node cut apply hormone press into medium.same deal.anyway i recieved my beans and dr chronic is the best got them in 5 days got afghani(10) and he sent me free hindu kush x master kush.got alot started stoney. illtell ya all about it tommarrow when i have time tonight i have a paper to write on woody plants (fun). hope alls well.thanx ..........lefty

im up and runnin guys took alot of work butt im ebbn and im flo n took alot of suggestiond from the unit at school. cool as hell. i have propagated afghani seeds and all are sprouted and growing first leaves . i have them under 4 70 watt (70 flo watts not 35) flos. and also in my closet i have some bag seed and some hindu kush x master kush 2 of each that are on thier 2nd leaves. cool as hell. i couldnt have done it w/out u guys. illsend some pics of set and seedlinggs and in a couple months HOPEFULLY(pray to your God for them)illsend pics of BUDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! propagating orchids and learning about woody plants cloning, nodes,internodes ect...................hope alls well in ur world.......thanx lefty

I'm glad to hear you're growing now. How'd you do on the construction of the system?

systems runnin great same plans as urs at our school for e and flo, just about i need to go home and check on it now yay. schools cool going to get really into hydr at end of week cont.. through month so its cool when i ask qs about it theres no suspicion. i may have to grow some tomatoes and such but they encourage being green at home........................love it lefty thanx stone if i have any tweeking qs ill ask u if u dont mind...............cant wait to get to the spot and c my babies!!!!thanx yall....lefty

EACH DAY I ARRIVE HOME AT ABOUT 5 MY BABIES ARE READY FOR SOME H20 AND I LOVE LOOKING AT THEM. STONE U HELPED ME MORE THAN ULL EVER NO. ILL SEND U A GIFT(NO I WONT)haahaahaa.U GUYS ARE GRAT I AM GOING TO SCHOOL FOT HYDROPONICS(WHICH I CHOSE AS MY FIELD OF INTEREST(2ND BEING TURF,PESTICIDES AND ORNAMENTAL TREES.(SORRY FOR BORING YA) ive come along way!!!!YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!lefty

Lookn Good Thinmk I Got A Couple Of Winners And Ladies ,peace I GOT TROUBLEMAKERS FREE FROM THE DOC ALONG W/ ORDER AFGHANI AND THE TROUBLE MKRS LOOK MORE INDICA THAN THE AFFYS WHATS UP W THAT !!! THE OLD SWITCHEROO?

sup all . hows everyone im going to start this thing back up once i can get some seeds to germ. cu

lefty said:
sup all . hows everyone im going to start this thing back up once i can get some seeds to germ. cu
Hey Lefty, it's good to hear from you again! You just let me know if you have any more questions and I'll help all I can man.

Good luck to you with your grows and your schooling.

Man fellas this thread is award winning. I just wish you would have thrown some serious pics in so idiots like me can really get a grasp on what is involved. If that makes any sense without degrading myself.

my pm box is working now(i hope) hope everyone is good this november . im just hitting the books and trying for a second gro .looks like i need to reorder should i stick with the affys or git somethingelse .ill order them but want to try a simple yet different type of indica or short sativa (if there is one ) any suggs?

whats the best p.h level that is used for m.j. ive been using between 6.3 to 7.3 is this too high? also i should use like a 20-10-10 (this being the nitrogen the higher of the nutes) during rooting ,seeding, and vegitative growth(also during rooting from clones?) and a higher K level such as 10-10-20 or is it a higher P level (such as 10-20-10) during flowering? all and different responses are greately appreciated(try to give the right response though) thanx..................lefty!

lefty said:
whats the best p.h level that is used for m.j. ive been using between 6.3 to 7.3 is this too high? also i should use like a 20-10-10 (this being the nitrogen the higher of the nutes) during rooting ,seeding, and vegitative growth(also during rooting from clones?) and a higher K level such as 10-10-20 or is it a higher P level (such as 10-20-10) during flowering? all and different responses are greately appreciated(try to give the right response though) thanx..................lefty!
I would advise you to buy nutes that are made for MJ. Like the ones I've pointed out to you. If you try to put your own together, or use store brand nutes, you'll be disapointed in the results.

5.5 to 6.5 is the correct pH.

Latest posts

Back