am considering going hydro

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skullcandy

Reaction score
i was browzing and came across a web site called dealzer .com they have this top feed with a bottom air oyxogen supple large tote bucket is what it looks like to me has eight slots for plants, it looks kinda small but than again i am new to growing and have never seen hydro aside from youtube so i got to ask is it possiable too grow eight plants in such a confined space the top measures 18"L x 12"H x 11"W it seems small but whats your opinion?

When I first started growing I tried growing 4 plants in a DWC tote...it was a nightmare. Sounds like it might be a cloner if it has 8 sites in such a small area, but I don't run hydro often so I don't know for sure. You can build your own dwc's for cheap and it's not hard. I use 5 gallon buckets, air stones and air pumps.

a dwc is the type that remain full enough for the roots to dangle in if i am correct or are they they kind that fill during a feeding then empty back out when done.

The Waterfarm is a good starter system and can support a large plant, if your not into building your own.

i am looking for a system that can house four plants from start to finish. if you have any suggests as to where to find one online, as for diy it would have to be sturdy enough to use for awhile without having to replace which is why i am thinking of buying one.also i think since i don't really understand how they work buying one sounds way easyer

skullcandy said:
a dwc is the type that remain full enough for the roots to dangle in if i am correct or are they they kind that fill during a feeding then empty back out when done.

I believe flood and drain is the name for the ones that fill a table a set number of times a day and drain in between floods. You are correct with that description of a DWC. There are other hydro methods as well. Recirculating is another one that comes to mind. Like Growdude said, if you are not into building your own Waterfarm is good stuff...but before you shell out cash for something that is cheaply made like a tote with a couple holes in it make sure you are not getting ripped off. I bought from a place called stealth hydro my first time and I could have easily built what they sent me for less then half the price they charged. Jmo

Yual knows what the says? Once yual go hydro yual nevers goes back ;)

Enjoy yur trails pilgrems thanks yur firesides

BWD

how big u grow your plants and how big of a space you use are using is what u go by when determining what kind of hydro system you want to go with. there are many different hydro systems to choose from. some are easy some, are not so easy.

deep water culture (dwc) - roots sit in an airated nutrient solution 24/7. you can go with 1 large reservoir to house many plants or a standalone bucket system. all you need is a reservoir, a net pot, hydroton, air pump, air hose, & air stone/stones. i prefer the standalone bucket system myself. when you put multiple plants in one reservoir, they tend to tangle & become difficult to deal with. you also shouldn't put multiple strains in the same reservoir b/c they're nutrient needs will be different.

flood & drain - plants sit in a large tray that gets nutrients pumped into it for a set amount of time. then drained back to the reservoir. most use rockwool as their medium for this type of system. as the rockwool holds lots of water so that the roots have no need to sit in the nutrients 24/7.

ebb & flo - the most common ebb & flo is the multiple bucket system. where there is a large reservoir that pumps nutrients to all the buckets, then back to the reservoir. the roots sit in the nutrients 24/7 with this system as well

top feed - there are many different ways to do this system. the plants sit in a hydro media. the water is pumped into a feeding tube that waters the roots from the top down. the water is then drained away back to the reservoir.

aeroponics - roots are suspended in air & are sprayed with nutrient solution that is then drained away back to the reservoir. this is the most difficult system to run properly. disease is a big problem when not kept 100% sterile. the roots are extremely vulnerable with this system.

Just starting out with hydro, I would recommend a simple DWC set-up. Multiple plants in 1 tote does not really work very well for flowering. I will keep multiple plants in 1 tote while they are small, but for flowering, it is 1-2 plants per, depending on size.

I have a 6 spot drip system tote but only use 3 spots because if i used all 6 then it would just be a mess with the roots tangling up together and depending on the size tote if you filled it up with 6 to 8 plants than you would have to add water every 1-2 days cuz they would suck that water up in a heartbeat. When my plants get big in my DWC 5gal buckets they suck water up fast so imagine 6-8 plants in one tote. Also if you added to many nutes or something you would be affecting all of your plants instead of just one.

from reading all your posts i think the DWC would be the best to go with, can anyone recommend where i can find a good DWC kit just so i don't have to search from one web site to another.

Have you considered making your own? It is quite easy. I ordered black buckets and lids from a company called US Plastics. I get air pumps and air stones from Amazon. You can pick up 1/4" tubing at any hardware/plumbing/or box store. You will need net pots and hydrotron.

Or I have a couple of 10 gal totes that I put 2 plants into if I am growing a strain that does not get too big. For instance, my Master Kush seem to be happy growing a single large cola and 2 do fine in a 10 gal tote.

skullcandy said:
from reading all your posts i think the DWC would be the best to go with, can anyone recommend where i can find a good DWC kit just so i don't have to search from one web site to another.

Like THG said sooo much cheaper and satisfying building your own. If it can hold water and has a cover, more then likely it can be used. Some members even made their own net pots, but I would recommend just buying those as they are cheap and do a much better job then the homemade ones I have seen.

The Hemp Goddess said:
Have you considered making your own? It is quite easy. I ordered black buckets and lids from a company called US Plastics. I get air pumps and air stones from Amazon. You can pick up 1/4" tubing at any hardware/plumbing/or box store. You will need net pots and hydrotron.

Or I have a couple of 10 gal totes that I put 2 plants into if I am growing a strain that does not get too big. For instance, my Master Kush seem to be happy growing a single large cola and 2 do fine in a 10 gal tote.

hello hemp goddess i just wanted to say thanks for the great advice i found those web sites to be a great affordable place too shop.:)

when puting together a DWC single bucket system , does each bucket need its own air pump or can one air pump run multiple buckets i am wanting to set up a four bucket system.

yes they make splitters for multiple lines that are very cheap. but u can get a 4 line air pump for 20-30$. that will work the best. most of the time the cheap 1 line pump isn't equipped to pump air for more then 2 buckets sufficiently. i buy ecoplus air pumpes. they work amazing for me and also have a controller on top. so if you want them to bubble only a little then you have that option available

DWC is the Bomb. Only problem I had was solution temps cause I live in the south. Frozen Water Bottles fixed that problem.:D
I loved the way my Girls would react so fast to what ever I did.

This is the air pump I use. After going through several different kinds of pumps, these are the ones I like. I have 3 of them. It comes with a 6 way splitter, each with its own valve. I also have one of the really large ones, but this one is a lot quieter.

hXXp://www.amazon.com/Hydrofarm-AAPA45L-20-Watt-45-LPM-Commercial/dp/B002JPRNOU/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1355500461&sr=8-6&keywords=active+air+pump

Latest posts

Back