am considering going hydro

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
skullcandy said:
okay cool i can do that and the cleaning is just to asure that no fungis or slimmy roots pop up .
Ya keeping things cleaner prevents alot of things althought There's always a way to try and fix things as for slimy roots there's a good sticky by the brothers grunt,I'm glad ur feeling more confident about trying dwc,once u try it you'll wish u tryed it sooner.PS

thats what i keep hearing, and also why i am wanting to try hydro.

skullcandy said:
puduck, basically i would just need to adjust the ph if i use the iguana. and most likely not have to adjust if i use the synthetic, i did just get a ph meter and hate to have boughten it for nothing . so if thats the diffrence i think i will be okay thanks for clrearing that up for me .:)

No you will still need to check the pH. Just when running R/O water with buffered nutes you won't have to do it as often and once you get everything dialed in and you know your water and plants you will hardly use it. I highly recommend a pH meter to any serious grower, you will always be using it but in different ways.

Get yourself a pH meter and a tds/ppm meter and a synthetic DWC is the easiest way to get a successful grow accomplished.

I personally have not had good luck with organic nutes in DWC.

THG i got to ask what do you recommend for DWC nutesand why not organics?

Hey just to clarify my statements so that I don't confuse you. My setup isn't DWC, it is a hybrid of DWC, top feed, and ebb-n-flow. I have to add water and nute solution periodically to my system because my rez is about 30gal and feeds from 4-10 plants at a time. So they suck up the water pretty fast. I still drain and clean my system periodically though as it eliminates toxic chemical buildup, and prevents algae bloom from occuring.

Organic setup probably wouldn't need as much cleaning(I am assuming) during the grow if the microbe herd is maintained well. The organic setup that I have isn't a full fledged hydro setup as much as it is an automated watering system that recirculates. I don't think I would run organic in DWC as it could possibly get complicated depending on how you do it. I have aeration in my organic rez and it causes it to get quite "foamy" which could interfere with the way it waters.

okay i was under the impression that you had a DWC set up thats okay though i will just need more info on the dwc set up they must be more different then i though, at first that most all hydro-set ups' were simular in the the wat the use nutes

skullcandy said:
THG i got to ask what do you recommend for DWC nutesand why not organics?

The nutrient solution just seemed to get icky (kind of slimy, brown and foamy) between res changes, even though the temps were in line and I have tons of air in my res. I also just did not get the growth from the organics that I got from the GH Flora series nutes.

I mix things up a bit. I use GH Flora Nova grow for vegging. It is a stand alone nute and is easy to use. However, I did not like the Flora Nova Bloom, so use the Flora series, but with the Lucas system and some Cal-Mag thrown in. The Lucas system uses only GH flora Micro and Bloom in a 1-2 ratio. The recommended amount is 8 ml micro and 16 ml bloom per gal of water. I adjust that up or down, depending on how much the plants need.

All hydro is similar in that the PH is typically run lower than soil and/or organic. And the nute setup is relatively similar but the variations to all of the setups is really a result of plant strain and individual prefferences.

Don't get too focused on trying to set up exactly like someone else as it may not work as well for you and your unique environment. There is no set "one right way" to grow as you can see from looking at the grow journals here. You will find over time that you will end up changing your grow multiple times until you get it dialed in to your variables and environment. :)

The guys at my hydro store grow organic hydro using fish in there res they said its not messy at all I've looked into it it seems Kool don't know how hard or exactly how it works.like hushpuppy said all groweres have different types of grows.

The guys at my hydro store grow organic hydro using fish in there res they said its not messy at all

:confused2: When I use fish in my teas, the fish makes it foam up like crazy:confused2:

pcduck said:
:confused2: When I use fish in my teas, the fish makes it foam up like crazy:confused2:
Sorry didn't mean to confuse you,what I'm talking about I believe it's called acuaponics.its a organic system where u have liveing fish in your res u feed them and they do the rest.i hear its simple but haven't really looked into it.PS

fish in thier tanks to **** in the water there plants are eating thats strange i wonder if it actually works as for me i think that the simple DWC is tough enough of a challenge for me, and at the moment for nute i am still trying to decide over jungle juice which i believe i read is the same as GH floro grow and bloom , and then theres the botanicoa line and many more to read up on, and with advice from all of you i have an idea which ones to steer away from .

I tried Botanicare and it did not work well for me in hydro.

Are you going to try and run organic hydro?

no from what i have read on organic in hydro it does not go so well, as for thr botanicare i am not yet sure if it's my number one choice there is so much to choose from i might just go with the GH flora series or the jungle juice, unless i find an ad that changes my mind.

Don't let advertizing change/decide your mind. Those pretty pics on the labels does not grow mj.

For a beginner I cannot stress how easy GH 3 part is. Plus you have numerous members here that have experience with that nute line that can give you expert advice if you do run into troubles:D.

pcduck i am looking over the GHline and am asumming the three part is the flora series and the nova series THG has told me some good things about the GH series for bloom and the nova for grow. do you know of any that are spacificaly made for DWC

The Hemp Goddess said:
Actually, aquaponics is quite complicated.
Ya I feel the same way but the guy at the hydro store swears its not.i guess Intill u try it u wont know.PS

LOL--hydro can be complicated--adding fish and maintaining a system that is supposed to take care of both the fish and the plants is indeed complicated. I did quite a bit of research into it several years ago. Remember to take everything that hydro salespeople say with a grain of salt. They are salespeople. You really have no way to know if he is really growing that way or just trying to sell an Aquaponics system.

Skull, what I use is GH Flora Nova Grow for veg. For flowering, I used GH Flora (no Nova) Micro AND Bloom. I also add Cal-Mag. I use GH pH down also. I never need to use pH up.

Latest posts

Back