first hydro set up

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah I think ditching the net pots for the grow bags will do better but you will definitely want to keep them from setting in any left over water. I would use the net pots cut off as suggested so that the bags are suspended. This will allow for complete drainage of the coco. If you use a good mixture of at least 30% pearlite in the coco, that will keep the coco from compacting too much and holding water. Coco drains very good but still holds moisture well. It will not hold water in it any higher than the water level even though it wicks water some.

If the water is draining out enough to allow an air space between the bag and the water then you shouldn't have any problems. Just make sure your rez is very well aerated to maximize the amount of oxygen in the water. That way the little bit of water left behind will not develop anaerobic bacteria between flooding. Mine stay suspended above water all the time without issue but I think the aeration is the key. :)

Alright I tipped it and reran the pump there was more back drainage built up any way probably why they say drain for 40 mins

Odd controller bucket you got sir. Lol. So if I'm correct if u set for 14 min drain the pump will only drain for 14 mins or till water stops triggering float
Alot dif from mine.
I can walk in 2 hrs after its drained pour a gallon in on bucket n it will kick the controller bucket on.
Allowing any water to a certan level go back to res. I get about 1-2" in controller bucket if that.
Without heat wind n roots hard to say how drainage will be.
Like if the pump is trying to suck for 40 mins but barly any water could burn a pump.
A good guestamate I would figure would be flood em drain em n time it.
This can be tweaked when plants get bigger n such.
LH.

I get ya as long as control bucket is low enough for drainage as my pumps only go on if I set a timer for it. So set fill for 15in. Then drain for 15 wait15 then drain again or get a new pump probably a better idea 3/4" instead of this one that is gonna burn out pumping all this thru 1/2"

have bottom leaves of soil plants showing deficiencies off to research

Ok hush I agree about the upside down nets and pretty sure shimming them will resolve water issue

Pic??
Yeah from the sounds of it you r gonna have to play with it n see how much builds up after draining buckets how fast n for how long.
Wish u had a bucket like mine. This is why I'm not worried for draining. I've got 3-4 hrs between feeds

LH.

Ok so removed other pot and bag container had water in it as with a few inches of mix the mix was visably wet. Imo to wet for good and I don't think the bag was fully submerged.

transplants are looking good one has already wraped a leaf around the t5 bulb

did not inspect transplant bags yet. Did not run sytem either want to check eayer content moisire in bottom of bag and add risers today before running again

LH find me a link to your control bucket plz

Also what should I ph my water to for the clones to root best

:yeahthat:

hxxp://www.plantlightinghydroponics.com/cap-ebb-gro-controller-module-p-2874.html

LH.

Ya so mines a bit high 6.7 but that's straight not adjusted out the tap.

so inserted 3 risers pot bottoms on 3 clone sites.

flood to 2" from top was 12 min.
drain to all pots sitting lvl no shims 15min.

I just filled and drained immediately. Is there a period of saturation or just fill and dump just like I did.

How were the bags. Heavy. Wet soaked moist. Lol
Do u feel like you can do another feeding today it will be too much.
In this system I flood 15 mins then drain. 3-4 hrs then fills again.
The longer it sits the more water your gonna soak up. So 15 mins then a drain will probably do. You can also try fill it n drain it. After each bucket has levelled off
Watch your plants for over watering.
LH.

Well o removed them to insert the lil platforms and the 2 that were shimmed were rather dry no run off top was dry more moist toward bottom but also had no air under bag like now. 3rd had run off obviously from sitting in the half inch of water but was not super wet at top all seemed the same at top but #3 had some run off

These 3 are also lined with hydroton at bottom of bags other 3 will be lined with 2" of perlite at bottom instead. Still going to stay with a 1/4- 1/3 mix in those 3 as well

Still have a clone rooted and a new plant that can be xferes to

Just drained the res. again and refilled gonna ph the water and throw some cal mag in and run it maybe silica? Leaving 3 empty for now but 3 with clones are dry 5" down so way past the knuckle soil theory think 2 a day maybe ok for em atm

I measured 8 1/4 from top of 3gal to bottom net

Ok so fill water was 6.8/223ppm
adjusted was 5.6/256ppm
then cal mag run to sites was 5.8/376
and return res. was 5.9/380

running approx 25 gal res atm temps high tho 76 slimy stuff in bottom of res already should I throw a ice gallon in there ? Or some small bottles to drop that"?

If they seem to bee drying out ok. Try 2 feedings. For a few days.
After giver your sit some thought I'd look into river rocks.
I'm not sure if those glass beads hold moisture. But having that on the bottom if sitting I. Water will wick er up. Perlite n hydroton.
But dif story if all bags are up off. :)

Do u run. Organic?? If not. H2o2 will help. As will hygrozime.
But the temps will fight you trying to fix. Keep n eye on it n see if its every day at times or hot days.
Keeping up with ice jugs can be a pain. But always worth the shot.
Insulate your res if you are to do this. Will help keep it cooler once yu get temps down.
LH.

Bags are up. Gonna grab a air pump and line for res. Probably use the h2o2 think it may of been temps and open pots with water donno.

will figure out the res chill factor what's ideal 68 degrees? Or less

Latest posts

Back