how do you PH DWC

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oh heck NO!

use pH+ or pH- to adjust

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TYW6Q58/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

:48:

EDIT:

I use the same nute bath for 2 weeks...

- mix-up the full strength bath
- adjust pH
- bubble 12-24
- check/adjust pH as needed
- USE
- check pH every 12-24
---add plain water and adjust pH as needed for 7 days (swing between 5.5 and 6.1)

(I usually make 1 gallon extra @ the start)
- replenish the nutes (watching so as to not burn with too much/too strong a mix)
- add water and adjust pH as needed for another 7 days.

- start over

A trustable pH and ppm meter are a necessity for a healthy hydro grow.

D'oh, of course, adjust pH....thanks. I'm pre-occupied, they won't eat so I'm thinking nute change to lower ppms.
One more quick one...
If the pH is NOT changing, do you help it along or leave it?
ie sitting at 5.3, needs a qt, add 5.7 water? or 5.3 and wait?

Last edited by a moderator:

first, catch it before it gets all the way down to 5.3 if @ all possible (5.5 - 6.1)

My veg isn't moving (either) so I'm artificially drifting (too)
I started @ 5.7 assuming it would move one way or the other, (5.7 left me .2 swing DOWN to catch it before it went below 5.5 )
but it just sat there for 4 days and that's just too long. so... I added (+) to it to hit 5.9 . let it sit there for a few days and now (tomorrow)
I'm going to push it up to 6.1 for a few.
if things still arnt changing on their own I'll replenish my nutes, since its been (more than) a week (but I'm in VEG) of just water
and pH adjust and this time start @ 5.5 but keep a CLOSE eye on it (the whole assume = A$$-u-me thing and all)

----

I've been known to squirt 1-2 ml of pH adjust directly into my res but it "should" be as diluted as possible before adding to your res.
give the res a good 5-15 minutes to thoroughly mix and your meter a good amount of time to read.

:48:

Thanks for the detail, Joe. After 4 of you guys have tried, I think it's finally starting to gel. I'm at almost 5.ONE this morning so I tried to get it to 5.7 and overshot the runway.
It's at 6.2 and I'm hoping it ramps down.
So far, all they've been doing is drinking.

And for fodder if anyone wants to play some more.

I don't see what so wrong about going below 5.7
from the chart, (nice, thanks) even at 5.0, they're only denied N and here's a fresh picture, I think they look lush, they've been around 5.3 all week

View attachment gang.JPG

I gotta chime in on this......... My ph falls in my 30 gallon res........ part of it is water use/evaporation........ I also believe my PH down is causing part of it......... I believe it doesn't evaporate off like the water does and I know it isn't being used by the plants .......meaning there is more ml per gallon of it as the water gets used or evaporates off........ when I add back/top off my res it will bring the ph back up to almost where it started originally....... so rather than fight what my water wants to do I let it drift down through the range and top off when the ph starts getting low......... use GH products for now......... and don't think the product I use effects the water ph drifting up or down......... My water starts off at a ph of 7.7 or 7.8 out of the tap........... maybe the starting ph of the water determines if your ph will fall or rise...... because of the amounts of ph down needed to get the water at the right ph.

I never let my ph get below 5.5 or get above 6.3 if I'm hand watering in veg I set water at 5.8 to 6.0.

ONLY?! lol!!!! C-mon now... what's the most important macro nutrient during veg?

Any guesses? :D

Nitrogen?
:rofl:
Well, I won't soon forget that
hmmmmm, they do look a little pale to me now too.

The good thing about hydro is that you can go way out of range on the pH as long as you don't let it set there for several days like that. I have had mine drop to 4.8 many times over a few days. You will find the pH drifts slower when the nute solution is fresh, but the older it gets, the faster it drifts. That is because of the amount of chemicals in the water has changed quite a bit as the plant has removed what it wants from the solution.

I have also found that the pH drifts far less for me during veg than during flower. If it tends to stay put for several days, I will also help it by adjusting it some one direction or other and then see what it does. If it becomes a problem, I just dump it and do a new batch.

Don't worry Pappy, you will get the hang of it. It isn't really complicated, it just has some nuance to it for the different chemical combinations and different plant strain needs. But you will learn the nuances over time. :)

The good thing about hydro is that you can go way out of range on the pH as long as you don't let it set there for several days like that. I have had mine drop to 4.8 many times over a few days. You will find the pH drifts slower when the nute solution is fresh, but the older it gets, the faster it drifts. That is because of the amount of chemicals in the water has changed quite a bit as the plant has removed what it wants from the solution.

I have also found that the pH drifts far less for me during veg than during flower. If it tends to stay put for several days, I will also help it by adjusting it some one direction or other and then see what it does. If it becomes a problem, I just dump it and do a new batch.

Don't worry Pappy, you will get the hang of it. It isn't really complicated, it just has some nuance to it for the different chemical combinations and different plant strain needs. But you will learn the nuances over time. :)

Nuances. I'll say. I'll take a reading and I'm always sitting there second guessing what I'll pH the water I'll use to top it up.

That should tell you something to remember for future reference.:yay: You can have plenty of nutrients in your medium but if the pH is off so that those nutrients are not able to be absorbed by the plant then you will have unhealthy plants at least and plants dying from deficiencies at worst.

The longer people work with growing MJ, especially in hydroponics, the more you will learn that everything is about chemistry and math. It is profound when you think about it. Everything that exists is related to everything else and comes together at a crossroads that connects chemistry, electricity(which is actually a property of chemistry), and mathematics(which is the measure of chemistry).:huh: profound

That should tell you something to remember for future reference.:yay: You can have plenty of nutrients in your medium but if the pH is off so that those nutrients are not able to be absorbed by the plant then you will have unhealthy plants at least and plants dying from deficiencies at worst.

The longer people work with growing MJ, especially in hydroponics, the more you will learn that everything is about chemistry and math. It is profound when you think about it. Everything that exists is related to everything else and comes together at a crossroads that connects chemistry, electricity(which is actually a property of chemistry), and mathematics(which is the measure of chemistry).:huh: profound

How ironic, sort of like the MJ version of us dying of thirst on an ocean.

Mathematics, electricity, chemistry, and I bring 'likes yardwork' to the table.

a lot of good info has come forth. I feel much more convident going into my first DWC grow.

a lot of good info has come forth. I feel much more convident going into my first DWC grow.

Info packed thread alright, thank YOU for starting it!

but really, I just took right over there these last few posts. Isn't that hijacking a thread? Is it rude?
I'm thinking Hippy and I got some great info there but I'm Canadian eh? Do I have to apologize for this?

you didn't hijack in my book. lol

Great!
My first try at hydro I got Pythium :-(
THAT is what I'd worry about if this is your first go.... but you've been at this 30 years, it shouldn't be a problem
but it's fun to follow grows, are you doing it here or starting another thread?

another thread. 30 years don't mean squat since its been mostly on-off-on again. lol. and different places. never did hydro tho so this will be totally new.

I just love DWC. You will get the hang of it before you know it.

Latest posts

Back