How do you do curing?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To the top..

Dont feel like searching later..

and very informative for soon to be harvesters..

I do something a little bit different.......

I stand freshly cut branches into a vase of Crown Royal or a good Rhum.......
I let them drink all night!

Then in the morning, I flip them.

I'll make a thread when my time comes......pics and all!

Lady Green said:
I do something a little bit different.......

I stand freshly cut branches into a vase of Crown Royal or a good Rhum.......
I let them drink all night!

Then in the morning, I flip them.

I'll make a thread when my time comes......pics and all!

Ms Lady Green,

please elaborate. Im near harvest.. and your comments intriques me.

You put them into alcohol?? why??

When you say flip them, you soak the buds into the liquor??

more more more. if i may...

:eek:

No don't soak your buds.......just put the branches in a vase of alcohol without the buds touching the liquor.
Kinda like a bouquet of flowers sitting in water.....same scenario.
The taste is phenomenal.......

Lady Green said:
No don't soak your buds.......just put the branches in a vase of alcohol without the buds touching the liquor.
Kinda like a bouquet of flowers sitting in water.....same scenario.
The taste is phenomenal.......

So you do this before or after the dry??

Does this cause the buds to take longer to dry?
Heck, i'll put the whole main stalk with the main cola
if need be..

As soon as you trim the leaves.......put em in the alcohol overnight.
Buds take the same time to dry except they smell outa this world.

Great thread, I had to posta reply and register for this. Im curing my first harvest right now, and Ganja Guru, by far your methods and explanations are the best Ive been able to find after weeks of searching. I am at the paper bag stage myself... Ive hung for about a week, after harvesting and manicuring while buds were still fresh off the plant, then hanged for a week, now im in the paper bag stage for a day or two I imagine, then on to jars for the rest (month or so, with daily burping). Also, the explanation on WHY this is important was very valuable... The part about non-psychoactive properties becoming active (please elaborate), and the 30% more potent.. Is that for all strains?

Pics of my harvest included...

niceone.jpg

nicetwo.jpg

hey hangshai.......I am a new guy also, joined this fall.....been searching and reading all I can about the harvest, drying and curing......I agree, this site has been GREAT......lots of luck....and by the way, that is a really nice looking 'top'......the painterdude.....

painterdude said:
hey hangshai.......I am a new guy also, joined this fall.....been searching and reading all I can about the harvest, drying and curing......I agree, this site has been GREAT......lots of luck....and by the way, that is a really nice looking 'top'......the painterdude.....

Awesome man, thanks! Hey, so how goes the shroom hunting up in Ore.? Found any? Isn't it getting close to the time to start hunting? Search my other posts for a better pic of the 'hand' bud after some curing... Its in another of my threads...

and DomsChron, there is nothing wrong with reviving a great thread, which is what I was doing. I dont think a day goes by where someone doesnt ask about drying and\or curing...

This is how we are currently doing it, advice is appreciated.

We cut the stalk at the base, leave plant as is, no trimming. We hang them on hangers in a large walk in closet.

Temperature varies but stays around 70-80 degrees F or 23 degrees C.

Humidity is currently very low due to winds flowing in from the desert. I dont have a hydrometer in the room but I would guess its about 10%.

We have a 50lb carbon filter with a 1000CFM blower to take away smell(our neighbors are pretty close).

The last crop, we waited about a week before cutting but it was becoming far too dry. Right now we are debating when a good time is considering the low humidity. Right now, we are on day 2 of drying. Any good advice on when to cut up and give to our customers? I can't smoke, so I can't test the product. Thanks.

Hangshai said:
Awesome man, thanks! Hey, so how goes the shroom hunting up in Ore.? Found any? Isn't it getting close to the time to start hunting? Search my other posts for a better pic of the 'hand' bud after some curing... Its in another of my threads...

and DomsChron, there is nothing wrong with reviving a great thread, which is what I was doing. I dont think a day goes by where someone doesnt ask about drying and\or curing...

Hey Hangshai, so you live in the Northwest? There are some 'lbj's' or little brown jobbers showing up now......am going out to take a couple of pics just for the heck of it......rumor has it that you need to be looking where the 'cows' are AND and severely checking out the grass and when you find one little, itty, bitty shroom STOP and DON'T MOVE and LOOK AROUND FOR 360 degrees REAL SLOWLY they will be there, perhaps all around you and you could even be standing on them.......anyways, haven't hunted since the late 1970's.......and take this with a grain of salt.....

The pics are of 'little brown jobbers'......the ones that will always fool you into stopping, crouching down and then realizing.....you are wasting precious time.....

Don't know if I already mentioned it, but the way I did it was cut the buds off the plant in pieces (colas stay together, branches stay whole, but are separated from the main stem). Then, I trim the leaves off of the buds (as soon as they are pulled from the plant). This is because the leaves stay firm, and the plant is wet, so less trichs are lost during this step of the process.. Then I hung the buds on lines for about a week, 8-9 days. From there they went into bags for a day (or two). Paper bags, about 3-4 inches off the bottom, placed in a room with the tops open, and a ceiling fan going. From there into jars, where I open the jars and take the buds out into a huge oven bag, and put them back in (I call it 'flipping' the buds). There are a few reasons I do it this way. Mainly to fight mold, because when the buds are removed and placed back in the jar, I know they are going in differently than they came out, so there are no spots that remain stagnant, all the buds get rotated properly. It also allows the various gasses produced during curing to empty out of the jar and clean air to fill it back up, and, the little bit of extra time out in the open cant hurt the buds, when it comes to mold. It's been about 2 weeks now, and I haven't one spot of mold in 6 5 gallon jars. I think they are 5 gallon jars, they are about as big as the 5 gallon bags I use to pot my plants. And, I also wanted to mention that I live in California, not Oregon, so, I think the hunting is different around here. I know they can be found in Santa Cruz, which is only a few hours from where I am at, but I wouldn't know what to look for to be honest. Id probably have better luck growing them if I can get the spores to germinate...

I wasn't saying there was anything wrong with what you were doing, I just figured that the question tht the thread starter asked was answered. :aok:

Oh, ok.. Well, to answer your question then.. No, I DIDN'T see the last post date.. Hehe, well, but I still was impressed with the info, and very appreciative. Like I said before, the best single description of a good curing process I've found, and I followed all the steps, and I have to say, every thing is coming up Milhouse (<-- obscure Simpsons reference)! And, I live in California, where the shroom hunting is mostly confined to the northern end of the state, although, Im sure there can be some found all over, I just don't know where (Sonora, Yosemite, Big Sur, down near Pismo, Im sure they all have there little shroom hunting spots.. Or maybe they dont?)

Hangshai said:
Don't know if I already mentioned it, but the way I did it was cut the buds off the plant in pieces (colas stay together, branches stay whole, but are separated from the main stem). Then, I trim the leaves off of the buds (as soon as they are pulled from the plant). This is because the leaves stay firm, and the plant is wet, so less trichs are lost during this step of the process.. Then I hung the buds on lines for about a week, 8-9 days. From there they went into bags for a day (or two). Paper bags, about 3-4 inches off the bottom, placed in a room with the tops open, and a ceiling fan going. From there into jars, where I open the jars and take the buds out into a huge oven bag, and put them back in (I call it 'flipping' the buds). There are a few reasons I do it this way. Mainly to fight mold, because when the buds are removed and placed back in the jar, I know they are going in differently than they came out, so there are no spots that remain stagnant, all the buds get rotated properly. It also allows the various gasses produced during curing to empty out of the jar and clean air to fill it back up, and, the little bit of extra time out in the open cant hurt the buds, when it comes to mold. It's been about 2 weeks now, and I haven't one spot of mold in 6 5 gallon jars. I think they are 5 gallon jars, they are about as big as the 5 gallon bags I use to pot my plants. And, I also wanted to mention that I live in California, not Oregon, so, I think the hunting is different around here. I know they can be found in Santa Cruz, which is only a few hours from where I am at, but I wouldn't know what to look for to be honest. Id probably have better luck growing them if I can get the spores to germinate...

Hangshai, thanks so much for the input.....and where did you ever find five gallon jars?........they sound huge, got pics?

So I was snooping around on the web and found this info for your germination project......it's quite a 'read'......

http://www.erowid.org/plants/mushrooms/mushrooms_mmgg.shtml

I think he means liter...

...Maybe not, but my half gallon Ball jars are plenty enough size.

Mine are even twice the size of subcool's!

But then again, the strains I grow are low yielding...I just like the potency of TGA seeds...

I got them at target...

hXXp://www.target.com/Large-Montana...=target&field-browse=1038578&rh=k:jars&page=2

Thats the ones.. Lets see, a 5 gallon jar would be as big as one of those buckets, right? Well, they are definitely not that big, so maybe i do mean liter. SOrry, but they weren't marked when I bought them and even the listing for target does not contain a size... Well, here is the listing for Amazon, much more thorough.. and they are 2.5 gallon, sorry for the mix-up..

hXXp://www.amazon.com/Anchor-Hockin...2?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1226559309&sr=8-2

I dried mine on stainless steel screen about 6 days then into mason jars for about 4 days then dumped into glass bowl then back into jars it has dried out nicely but it sure has a strong smell like really good candy and really good up lifting high a little is all it takes.:holysheep:

Latest posts

Back