Can anyone identify this mite?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hackerman

Reaction score
Sure looks like a mite. Doesn't look like the 2-spotted ones I had.

Anyone know what this is? I might be able to get a more clear picture if necessary.

View attachment mite.jpg

Russett mites don't have legs. Looks like this one does, that is good news. What power is that under?

Probably about 100x

I also found a 2-spotted so it's a moot point now. I have mites and I am going to have to struggle through them for 8 weeks.

I'll start ordering predators right away.

What a bummer. I thought I got rid of them. Everything was so clean. I looked over every leaf and it all looked so sweet.

Oh well.

Thanks for the comment, Rosie.

Ya know this is the most depressing part of growing. I hate having bugs. As I type it is 24 degrees outside and I have a fan in the open bathroom window trying to kill invisible bugs with the cold. I don't want to start another grow with them and people tell me they can live without food which makes me want to become an entomologist fast. LOL How can that be. I am still glad i found the Dr Zymes though. I hate to ship beneficials in this cold. Best of luck Hackerman. I feel ya.

Ya know this is the most depressing part of growing. I hate having bugs. As I type it is 24 degrees outside and I have a fan in the open bathroom window trying to kill invisible bugs with the cold. I don't want to start another grow with them and people tell me they can live without food which makes me want to become an entomologist fast. LOL How can that be. I am still glad i found the Dr Zymes though. I hate to ship beneficials in this cold. Best of luck Hackerman. I feel ya.

Best thing I can suggest is bleach water bath and continue what you are doing though. One thing I might suggest if you have time, bring the tempurature up for a while and see if any eggs hatch. You may have to do it again. :vap-Bong_smoker:

looks like a " clover " mite. very common and will catch a ride inside on your clothes

lowering the temperatures wont KILL mites unless you drop to sub-0, and the risks of the stress put on the plant could also kill it. lower temps just slow the army down, as well as the plant. IMO, Battle bugs and organic sprays , and start a maintenance program to keep them out

if you have house plants in the house look all over them. I would bet you see them there as well.

Good Luck

Ya know, in researching on how to get rid of these dang mites, I have read some astounding posts.

People are indiscriminately spraying their plants with all kinds of poisons and insecticides.

I can't tell you how many people who don't even have bugs, are spraying Azamax as a preventative measure.

About half the sprayers are using something organic and 'cleaner' like Green Cleaner or some of the other 'soap" products.

This might be OK with some people but.... I don't smoke soap either. LOL I'm not sure what it does to your insides but it sure would kill the taste. LOL

Still, I was AMAZED at the number of people who had no problem drenching their plants in insecticide half way through flowering. OMG!!!

I wonder if these people are the Monsanto haters. Because the stuff they are growing is more poisonous than anything Monsanto ever did. LOL

OK, that's all good and fine. It's your smoke and you can do anything you want to it. God bless you and enjoy.........

However, fighting off these bugs and the cost of predators and the frustration and the shutting down for a month and the mulching of my entire crop of Grape Stomper...etc, etc..... it made me think.

OMG, I have to wonder what the commercial growers are doing. Again, I'll bet most com growers are killing you way worse than Monsanto ever did.

I mean, these guys can't shut down for a month like I did. They can't mulch an entire crop. They can't afford the predators (based on my experience) and soaps only suffocate the living. Doesn't usually do anything to eggs. You need poison to kill these bastages. LOL

So, I can only imagine. I have read posts from com growers about washing their crop (water cure) to reduce the pesticide to test/pass levels. And, in my state, the poison level is so high, I could kill you and still pass the gov requirements. I think I remember 25% of the cannabis covered with mold as being OK in my state regs. LMAO

Sorry to rant a little here but, all this research really got me to thinking about what the poor/helpless commercial growers do when they get bugs. Total bummer watching your life's investment being eaten by spider mites. :(

And, I guess it really doesn't matter to me since I grow my own but... like I said, all this reading really shocked me.

/rant

LOL

YES, very scary what people use. It is hard to be organic that is for sure. In our legal state everything you buy at the store has to be labeled what was used. So many people use neem, yuck! I used something that a bug man told me was organic, spinosad, then found out it is on the bad list. Holy crap. I rinsed my buds twice and was still worried. I like rinsing my outdoor grow to get the dirt off. When i worked at the master gardener clinic, Hackerman, you would die with what people wanted to use like 24D from the 60's on food plants. Don't get me started.

This is why I got started growing in the first place. Who knows what's been on everything I smoked until now. Also the wrong people no longer get my money.

I use the Azamax for bug control with solid success. I don't use Neem oil because that is a thick and viscous oil. The Azamax is the extract of Azadiractin from the Neem oil( it is still an oil but it mixes with water much better than the neem oil). The cool thing is its totally organic and it biodegrades on the outside of the plant and gets metabolized on the inside of the plants. During veg, I will spray it onto the leaves which will leave them shiny for a while but eventually disappears. During flower, I don't spray it on the plants. I pour it into the medium as a drench and the plants absorb it and disperse it throughout the interior of the plant. The Azadiractin will get metabolized away after about 7-10 days, depending on the concentration used. I use it a lot and have never tasted it or anything unusual in my smoke. It works quite well for eliminating most of the leaf chewers. I would hit those plants of yours with heavy doses of drench (if they are in flower), and do it 3x in a row, every 10 days and see if that doesn't eliminate them. :)

Actually, it appears that the predator mites have completely eliminated the 2-spotted. Actually, I can't find either on any plants right now. I am going to do another batch of predators just as a precautionary measure in a couple weeks but.... for now, the predators seems to have done the trick.

I may just be being paranoid but I would never be able to smoke my weed if I sprayed anything on it. Every time I smoked it, I would have imaginary tastes, pains, after effects and everything else. LMAO.

I mulched that last crop of Grape Stomper that I sprayed.

I know that's way overboard but.... dam, you're talking to a guy who grinds is own wheat grain to make his own flour to make bread. You think I'm going to be able to ingest ANY kind of pesticide? LMAO It's a mental, more than a realistic issue. LOL

I do have one question about all this........ what happens to the predator mites?

I have broadcast thousands of mites and I can't find a single one on a single leaf. Never could. Even when I used predators on the last crop. They must fall off and into the soil.

I still freak out using predator mites because I always think I'm smoking mite ****.

Speaking of which, did you guys see the youtube posted at mjp of the ladybug pooping? LMAO Another reason to not use ladybugs..... giant pooper. LOL

Latest posts

Back