Springtails! Help!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DBudz26

DenverGrown
Reaction score
Im pretty sure I have springtails in my soil. As ive researched emphatically in a panic, ive come to find out that these are actually a sign of high nitrogen in the soil which is good. Ive also read that they in no way harm the plants foilage or root system. Does anyone have any knowledge of these or experiences? Any input is appreciated! ! Thanks

Are you talking about inside your house ??? or outside your house ??

They are inside. Only in the soil, not on the stem or leaves.

always a shock to find soemthing living in your soil eh? (well, besides marijuana plants ;) :D)

i've had them too, wondered *** all these white things were in my water run off tray.
i don't know, but also read the same as you; that they're harmless.

**just be 100% sure they are srpingtails, and not thrips or something

Springtails are associated with damp conditions and organic debris and are found outdoors in soil, leaf litter, lichen, under bark, decaying plant matter, rotting wood, and other areas of high moisture. They are found in many different habitats, feeding on fungi, pollen, algae, or decaying organic matter. Springtails are also commonly found in the soil of houseplants. However when conditions are suitable, you can also find springtails indoors, especially in bathrooms, basements, and kitchens.

Springtails that infest houseplants are found in soil that is excessively damp or in soil mixes contain a high percentage of peat. They feed on decaying roots and fungi and rarely, if ever, damage plants.

bout all i got

what type of soil are you using?

Im using Aurora Roots Organic. And aurora buddah bloom and buddah grow for nutrients.

Ive never had them myself but I have read that they aren't a problem. :)

Ever heard of beneficial nematodes? Springtails are part of that family and will help eliminate Grubs, Fleas, Fungus Gnats and 200 other pests that develop in soil. They also eat decaying root matter keeping the root zone awesome.

I have found my plants do best when I have large colony's of them going.

Thanks so much for the info guys. I'll tell my wife to quit freaking out. Lol

Latest posts

Back