NV's organic soil mix

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

mountain man

This stuff is the real deal guys....... Down on the farm goodness with buzzing of beasties and beneficial fungi.
I have mixed some good soil too. This stuff at 2 weeks of cooking time is some really nutrient rich stuff. Everything works well together. The rice hulls are a huge plus and make it unlike any soil you have used before. I can't wait to see these young plants take off in this SS.
Well done Nouvell...... Owe ya a Starbucks : )

Thanx. You will like it. Ladies thrive in it. After you harvest, bang the rootball, separate it and shake the excess off. Full recipe gets added back in to however much your gonna need. Just think 3 cycles out. So if your gonna grow 3 plants, in 10 gal buckets, you would need 45gal(bit extra is nice) of the mix. The rest gets used for new cuttings. Cuttings eat up the leftovers in the soil. It's really nice not buying soil. The new batch I made has been cycled 7 times. If your using peat based soil medium. It's important you get grade A peat. The Pro-mix black bag is the only one that has it. The ones you see most are the white bag, it has grade C and will degrade fast and become acidic.

PS. Yeah. Rice hulls are da bomb. Aeration, fight pests and made up of mainly silica.

nouvellechef said:
Thanx. You will like it. Ladies thrive in it. After you harvest, bang the rootball, separate it and shake the excess off. Full recipe gets added back in to however much your gonna need. Just think 3 cycles out. So if your gonna grow 3 plants, in 10 gal buckets, you would need 45gal(bit extra is nice) of the mix. The rest gets used for new cuttings. Cuttings eat up the leftovers in the soil. It's really nice not buying soil. The new batch I made has been cycled 7 times. If your using peat based soil medium. It's important you get grade A peat. The Pro-mix black bag is the only one that has it. The ones you see most are the white bag, it has grade C and will degrade fast and become acidic.

PS. Yeah. Rice hulls are da bomb. Aeration, fight pests and made up of mainly silica.

Hey NC- How's biz? Yeah- it degrades and the soil starts to compact.

Can't find the rice hulls anywhere around here. You know any on-line sources?

hXXp://www.groworganic.com/rice-hulls-50-lb-bag.html

hXXp://morebeer.com/view_product/15595/103778/Rice_Hulls_1_lb

BBFan said:
Hey NC- How's biz? Yeah- it degrades and the soil starts to compact.

Price dont look bad at all from those links. Little goes along way. That bag would last you the rest of your life prob. HAHA. Kinda like my 50lb of soybean. I am now just halfway thru it. But that was growing a whole lot more than I do now or ever again prob.

nc---funny i was thinking the same thing---w-t-f am i gonna do with a 50 lb bag of rice hulls when my soil is already on perlite---:rofl:

The heat generated during the "cook" period is UNREAL !! Good dirt for sure !

Looks like i can get the soybean meal there as well. I don't really want 50 pounds of rice hulls.

the rice hulls are the only thing I don't have in my mix, probably try to add it next time. Have to bookmark that page.

I called my grow shop and they can order everything for me and i don't pay shipping. Don't think the rice hulls come in anything less then 50 lbs.
I was wondering if adding 5 gallons of my own "done" compost would change anything in this recipe? Also, my water is 6.8 so i may not need as much lime???
NCHEF,or the rest of my helpers, thoughts?

Still need the lime.

Guano teas drop pH as do many organic nutes. imo

pcduck said:
Still need the lime.

Guano teas drop pH as do many organic nutes. imo

Yep. Still need it. But that's the point. No teas, no bottled nutrients for the entire cycle. Just tap water let sat out for 48 hours w/ 1tb unsulphered molasses per gal of water. You need to inoculate each clone in dip with mycogrow soluble or add to water and drench soil with myco in the water.

And adding anything to the mix, beyond te recipe. Is all you after that. I know it works as is for dozens of strains. Wouldn't it be nice grow multi strains per bucket?

The thought of using nothing else really makes me happy and curious. I want to use my organic compost ( is that redundant?) Really great stuff went in it... I had Mr RB, who is home with a bad cold, do the math for me for a 40 gallon batch. Now i just need to price it all out and order.

hey chef, care to expand a touch on this inoculation you speak of? I haven't been doing anything with my clones, other than dipping them in a rooting gel and sticking them in a cube.

lordhighlama said:
hey chef, care to expand a touch on this inoculation you speak of? I haven't been doing anything with my clones, other than dipping them in a rooting gel and sticking them in a cube.

It basically kickstarts them for their life. As long as you dont add a bunch of junk to the girls during the cycle, it only takes one dip with rooted cut, then into medium. Or I have just dumped it via watering also. Spendy that way. Mycogrow soluble will last along time. Just need like a shot glass full and dip the baby roots into it. She will take off like crazy soon. Eating up some organic goodness.

Rosey. If you want to add it in. Their your girls. I might try it as a test on few though. Be forwarned, this mix will rock a 17 week plant, very very hard. It is some hot stuff. No way can you grow other veges in it, from uncycled/fresh mix. Maybe if you filled the pot with like, 10% hot stuff. Maybe. IDK. Someone can try though next summer. I have used the recycled mix after use for veges and they thrive in it.

Hot! Is not the word for this "cooking" soil ! The heat generated from the breakdown of matter by the beasties is incredible!! And the stank ! Holy Hanna, i hope it eases off on that "down on the farm" smell. It smells just like a pig pen. As i mixed today, i could see what appeared to be dried ash? Its the "good" fungie doing their thing in a damp soil that is hot to the touch. I can't wait to get the Silver Tip in that dank soil.
What gets me is the adding of %50 new soil to the mix. That means, my soil is virtually doubling each mix. I got soil in 6 damm garbage cans now! Can't i just add the "unammended" old soil to the %50 SS ?? NV ??

PS. you should had otta win an award for this stuff..........

Haha. nah. No man. No new soil when you got all that around. The un-ammended, re-cycled medium gets used as the 50% on top.

Latest posts

Back