coffee ground innoculation of plant after x-plant?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunakard2000

Reaction score
ok so iv used old coffee grounds to innoculate the soil with beneficials, however at the time of my 2 current plants transplants i didnt have any coffee grounds ready to add in, is there a way i can add in some now to add more beneficials to the soil... would poking a few holes to about the middle depth of the pots and filling in the holes a bit with the coffee grounds work, kind of like a fertalizer spike? everything is all organic, soil, nutes and teas.

Never added coffee grounds to my plants straight I always put them in the compost pile where they get broken down to a more usable form the plants can use

spike it

just not all coffee grounds, need something to offset the low pH of the grounds

so just like a fert spike just drop it in the hole yeah PC? what would you recommend to add to the grounds?

ozzydiodude said:
Never added coffee grounds to my plants straight I always put them in the compost pile where they get broken down to a more usable form the plants can use
:yeahthat: :goodposting: +rep

I run mine through the worm bin to achieve the same effect.

Wet

well i read in the coco bucket thread here to save old coffee grounds and let them mold then use it as a thin layer between your flowering pots soil and the bottom of the rootball when transplanting. which i forgot to get it started when i x-planted. just wondering if it would be safe to add it to a few holes near the mid of the root zone as added innoculant since i missed out before... i dont have the space currently for a compost bin /SS mixer so its just FFOF/Roots organic soils plus stump tea mixes from my local store (feed for micros plus micros themselfs) was just looking to add some more.

Cut and pasted.

Yes they are excellent choices as organic fertilizers. If you use them, use less or no synthetic (commercial) fertilizers. Since coffee grounds lack phosphorus (the key ingredience in fertilizers for flowering plants) it is better on non-flowering shrubs, foliage plants and grass than flowers. However, if used in combination with phosphorus (e.g. super phosphate or rock phosphate) it is excellent -- and cheap. You can buy super phosphate and rock phosphate at garden centers and home improvement centers.

Used coffee grounds contain about two percent nitrogen, about a third of a percent of phosphoric acid, and one percent potash; DRY WEIGHT. If you could buy coffee grounds in bags at garden centers the 3 numbers on the bag would be 2-0.33-1

It is not particularily "slow release" as typical of most organic fertilizers. Most of the nitrogen will be available pretty fast. This means you have to watch out not applying too high quantities at one time, and that more then one application during the growing season may be needed but in smaller volumes at a time.

Analysis of coffee grounds also shows that they contain many minerals, including trace minerals and carbohydrates. This makes it a good fertilizer.

Since coffee grounds are acidic they are particularly useful on those plants for which you would purchase and apply an “acid food,” such as blueberries, evergreens, azaleas, roses, camellias, etc. They would not be ideal around plants like lupins which require a sweet soil. If your soil is naturally alkaline (e.g. pH higher than 7.0) using coffee grounds is extra beneficial.

Since coffee grounds tend to get moldy, they should be incorperated into the soil, or dried and used as mulch.
If you have problems with too high pH, the use of coffee grounds are a good solution.

You can also dilute the grounds with water, and water the plants with the "tea" created. This is a good way to get plants growing immediately. Just avoid using around very small seedlings as it can burn the young plants. for established plants it is great.

Dose:
use about 6 table spoons per plant dug in near the roots, or in pots. You can also mix in a 1/4 - 1/2" layer and mix it in thoroughly in the top of the soil. The coffee grounds will help aerate the soil and provide nitrogen and potash to the plants. The phosphorus, should be added seperately, however, such as rock phosphate (0-4-0) or super phosphate (0-20-0) available at garden centers.

Latest posts

Back