Big-*** plant, getting cold, harvest problem, PICS!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sap_boy

Reaction score
Take a look at my beautiful plant.

Here’s the problem:

This is an eight-foot-tall plant in my back yard. It’s the end of September, and I live in the northeast. It’s going to get cold soon. I know these buds aren’t ripe yet, but I don’t know what to do with the plant. I can’t take it inside, because it’s too large. It won’t fit through the door and wouldn’t fit anywhere in the house, particularly if I need additional space to hang a light.

Will this stuff even get me high if I harvest it now? How long can I wait? How cold can I allow it to get before the plant dies or gets messed up? It really sucks because I’ve been growing this baby since June and it’s HUGE. I feel like it’s flowering too slowly/too late, but people have been growing marijuana for thousands of years, including the northeast. Somebody must be doing something right.

Any help would be appreciated. I hate to lose the product from a plant THIS LARGE. I don’t even know how much bud I could get from it…but probably a lot.

HELP!

P1014309.JPG

P1014310.JPG

P1014311.JPG

Well my friend what you have is one BIG damn Sativa and by the looks of things she isn't even close to being done. We live on the East coast as well and you should be able to let her go all the way to the end of Oct. as long as we don't get some major frost. If you picked her now it wouldn't be worth it IMHO.

That sucks... how often can the temperature drop below freezing before the plant is damaged? Will it be ruined, or will it just stop growing?

It is big, isn't it! You know what they say about a guy with a huge marijuana plant... he must use a pretty big watering can!

When temps dip low, go out, real early and hose down the plant throughly.

When I was young, my gramps left the hose on all night, then again he grew flower, flowers.

maybe cut 2-3 feet and use a HID on the rest?

I suppose, but I'm not really set up for an indoor grow, yet. Plus, I'd be sacrificing the main cola.

I'm wondering...if I do leave it up for a few more weeks what the potency would be.

If she can go another few weeks you'll definetly get more THC content.
You can still take clones come then from down below where they take better.

The longer you let it grow the better the buds gonna be. Like i said you have atleast another month on that lady. I'm pretty sure she can withstand a few frost as long as they are not major.
sap_boy said:
I suppose, but I'm not really set up for an indoor grow, yet. Plus, I'd be sacrificing the main cola.

I'm wondering...if I do leave it up for a few more weeks what the potency would be.

JUice her with some nutes with high potash levels and harvest as late as possible.

I'm using 15-30-15 right now and using full strength doses every other day. Seems like it should be enough...or do I need more because it's so large?

Sativas are the opposite of indicas. Tall and thin marijuana plants with much narrower leaves and grow a lighter green in color. Sativas plants are originally from Southeast Asia, Mexico, Thailand and Colombia. Once flowering has begun, they can take anywhere from 10 to 16 weeks (maximum from first sign of flower) to fully mature dependant on light. Flavors range from earthy to sweet and fruity. Getting stoned of a Sativa will get you cerebral, up and energetic.

sap_boy said:
I'm using 15-30-15 right now and using full strength doses every other day. Seems like it should be enough...or do I need more because it's so large?

1 big handful for every 20 litres. :yeahthat:

Up the fert to 10-52-10 too!

sap_boy said:
......AGAIN..cold temps inhibit nutrient uptake AND plant metabolism. "full strength"..Every other day"..you should be giving her plenty.
All you can do is wait it out and pray for a late frost. Maturation takes "time"..no amount of high P nutrients are going to speed that process.
Covering her on cold nights, when a frost is expected will get her through a few frosty ones.

any helicopters been flying overhead? You may need to worry more about that then frost - but hopefully not.

If the temps are dropping, like they are in NE, you can wrap the plant with some plastic and make almost a tent at night, the plant gives off a fair amount of heat at night, like a fern, and a tent won't keep out the cold, but will ward off a bad frost, but we shouldn't see one of those, not with the indian summer we have goin' on. hope that helps, keep that girl alive bro!
~T-Bone

How long can I wait? How cold can I allow it to get before the plant dies or gets messed up? It really sucks because I’ve been growing this baby since June and it’s HUGE. I feel like it’s flowering too slowly/too late, but people have been growing marijuana for thousands of years, including the northeast. Somebody must be doing something right

I'm in the Northeast too and I have left plants out till the end of Oct.- prefer the end of Sept. but that's only if they're in the ground by end of May. I have covered one or two special ones when I was really concerned by frost...but you'd be surprised how they can take the cold. Good luck!

Take TBG and Hicks advice let your plant do its thing. I love a few light frosts on my plants as long as it doesnt drop below 25 and stay there for a couple house you will be ok . MJ holds up well through some cold spells. IMO the plant that hasn`t made any seeds and feels the cold getting near tryes everything it can to make offspring but all it can do is make sticky sap that makes your buds taste a lot better and gets you higher. PS i have a plant or two that are only 2 weeks into budding but im not worried. It will all work out. If your plant doesnt finish then just make sure you plant a couple early indicas for next year that will serve you in that area better. Slim

I personally would tie that monster down and let it keep going, I've had 2 frosts already and the only thing it's done is make my flowers throw TONS of sugar, still at least 2-4 weeks to crop.
If you do tie it, as I'm sure you know, make sure no buds are touching the ground or they'll mold, I'm having a small problem with mold right now I've had to chop 2 plants prematurely but it's pretty much in check now.
Good luck, my friends, it's almost time to enjoy the fruits of our labors in the Northeast.....

Thank you to everybody for their advice (my apologies if I forgot to thatnk you formally in the forum).

I've decided to just keep feeding her nutes and hope for the best. I'm sure it'll turn our OK.

No, I haven't seen any helicopters fussing about over my head, but I doubt they'd deploy a helicopter for one plant. Seems like a waste of resources.

One final question: based on the photos, if I had to harvest it soon, would there be ANY THC in these buds, or are they too young? I should note that this is Sinsemillia...

Thanks again!

Might taste a little green. You could make hash! I've got the best recipe in town.

Ice, water and a blender.

Latest posts

Back