Choosing genetics

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Surfer Joe

Reaction score
I am going to start my first photoperiod grow soon and am trying to decide on the seeds to get.
I notice that the online seed stores offer some varieties that I never see in the Amsterdam coffeeshops and I was wondering about the genetics of the seeds.

Are you more likely to get good genetics from a more traditional strain than from more recent varieties, or are the techniques used to develop the new strains creating better genetics?

Are good genetics more a matter of particular breeder rather than the seeds?

Lastly, does anyone have any recommendations for seeds shops in Amsterdam (not online)? Thanks for any advice.

In case it matters, I want to get some feminized photoperiod strains that will have a sativa effect (uplifting, euphoric, energetic, psychedelic- that sort of effect) and not grow too big/tall or take a very long time.

well if you want to go with old genetics that are true blue, I'd say Serious seeds and Mr. Nice, would be the one's to look into. The breeders of Kannabia (a spanish breeder) have worked with Shanti (a big time expat Dutch breeder) and they have some good selections as well.

It really comes down to accessibility to the breeders and the seeds. I am a member of all the forums that have the breeder's of all the strains I grow present and ready to answer questions or give up pics or some smoke reports.

As far as sativa's I grow longer blooming hybrids, but alot of peeps here like Mandala's Satori (shorter flowering sativa) and is well documented at this site.

Peace n' good luck,

7greeneyes:smoke1:

While they do not come in fem seeds, I love Satori for an up energetic high. Plant can be kept a reasonable size and it finishes in 9 weeks. It is easy to grow, easy to clone, and if your space is dialed in you will be rewarded with some great sativa bud.

Thanks. You mentioned Satori before but I never found it in the seed shops I visited.
Is it unique to a specific breeder or dealer?
Is it an auto or a photoperiod? I plan to do a photoperiod grow in soil next and am looking for a few strains that have a more sativa effect.
I just finished growing a big auto northern lights in hydro and I have over 200 grams of indica but I am realizing that I really like the sativa effects better.
It's sort of ironic. In the hydro grow, I planted an auto indica and an auto sativa in hydro buckets but they soon grew too big for my tent and I had to sacrifice one. Since the sativa wasn't showing its flowers quickly enough, I took it out and kept the northern lights. Now I wish that I had done the opposite.

Latest posts

Back