what can tell about sweet watermelons ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skullcandy

Reaction score
okay so i am hoping i can grow a few vegs this summer sweet watermelons are on the list, what i have read is that ,

Space the plants about 2 feet apart in a 5-foot-wide hill.
If you're growing in rows, space 6 feet apart by 6 feet apart

what confusses me is 5 foot wide hill is that discribing a flat top hill 5x5 feet or am i miss understanding the instructions ...

also how far away should i plant other vegs like carrots away from the 5x5 hill

LOL--I never plant things in hills or rows anymore. I pretty much plant in raised beds and free plant (stick a veggy plant anywhere I have room). I have started some of those little tiny personal watermelon plants. I usually don't have time to finish watermelons, but I am hoping that starting them inside now they will finish.

A 5' hill is meant to be a mound of earth (the top doesn't need to be flat and it doesn't really have to be a hill) that is 5' in diameter so that the plants are 5' apart when planted. However in real life I have found that most veggies do not need nearly the room that the packages tell you to give them. I found that out with square foot gardening. However, following the planting instructions, you could plant other things within 2-1/2' of the center of the hill in all directions.

I like intensive planting where plants are really close to each other. It cuts down on the weeding and really makes better use of space if you don't have a 1/4 acre to plant in.

Hey skullcandy. Your carrots will be done way before your watermelon. You can move the big vines wherever you want them, away from your other veggies. Enjoy the garden.

with all the info i got I think i will go ahead and make a small raised bed for the watermealon just to be able and water itwithout most leaves in the water

I get a bale of hay and plant 3-5 seeds in 5 gallon buckets. As the vines come down the side of the bucket you can put hay under them and move them around a little as they get longer. There's only one watermelon strain for me - Georgia Rattlesname. Thanks for mentioning it skullcandy- it's time for planting! The secret to watermelons is watering.

Watermelons grow like crazy along with tomatoe vines cantelopes and pumpkin.

If you plant them close ( and have good growing conditions) the vines will take over each other and be a pain.

Watermelons love a sandy base soil and lots of water. But they cant STAND when their roots stay wet for long periods of time. They needs lots of direct sunlight just like the other vines for them to thrive.

Expect them to run wild by the time picking comes. Dont plant close to each other or near tomatoes or other similar creeping vines.

Enjoy cold on a hot summer day ;)

Art, I grew tomatoes in bales of straw one year. It looked real neat and I had a lot of people stop and inquire about it. However I had a hard time keeping them wet enough. The water just seemed to go right through the straw. Do you have that problem with watermelons?

TOA, I have never grown watermelons. Can I put them in big containers, like 1/2 a barrel?

Art, I grew tomatoes in bales of straw one year. It looked real neat and I had a lot of people stop and inquire about it. However I had a hard time keeping them wet enough. The water just seemed to go right through the straw. Do you have that problem with watermelons?

TOA, I have never grown watermelons. Can I put them in big containers, like 1/2 a barrel?

I see I goofed up the name of our watermelon strain (Georgia Rattlesnake).

:ciao: THG. I don't have that problem, there is enough dirt in 5 gallon buckets to hold the water. I do have to water it 2x (morning & late afternoon) if we don't get any rain (it's so hot here in summer). The buckets drain pretty fast with all the holes in the bottom.

THG, their roots love to run horizontal. A rubbermaid tub raised off the ground might be a little better if you get a wide one. The vines will throw roots where they touch the ground like tomatoe vines after it out grows the container.

make sure there is lots of drainage and water alot. Thats the secret to actually harvesting melons compared to just growing the vines.

i put two small raised beds side by side there 7x2 feet i am thinking of 3 plants in each bed does this sound like it will work or does it sound like trouble

i started my seeds indoors there were seven cups altogether 3 mj 4 were watermelon and cantalope today i transplanted them to bigger pots cause they just sprouted and i had a green fungis it looked like a small patches of moss alover but i went ahed and transplanted anyway. anyone know if this will affect the plants later on should i keep them under a light till there ready to be placed in the ground or they die the green stuff just plan looked scary what your oppinion

could we get a picture of what your are describing? I have no idea..but i am wishing you watermelon mojo for your garden.

rosebud I tossed the cups and covered the fugis in clean potting soil it was like a green colored film covering the dirt on top of the soil but its all gone now that i have covered it i was just courious if this would affect the plants but so far it seems like it has not i am just going to leave them where there are and see what comes of them

Latest posts

Back