El Dorado (+freebies), SCROG in soil

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a few photos from around the canopy. Trichomes are starting to develop nicely. Hard to believe this thing is only about halfway done, it's gonna be very nice by week 13.... Last photo is the freebie. It's showing some signs of nute burn even though I've only fed once pretty lightly. My homemade compost/worm castings probably made the soil hotter than I'd realized, and it looks like a pretty pure sativa, which often prefer less nutes in my experience. I'll flush a bit next watering (tomorrow).

View attachment IMG_20150204_211417756_HDR_noexif.jpg

View attachment IMG_20150204_230606_noexif.jpg

View attachment IMG_20150204_230432_noexif.jpg

View attachment IMG_20150204_212005412~2_noexif.jpg

View attachment IMG_20150204_230236_noexif.jpg

View attachment IMG_20150204_230050_noexif.jpg

View attachment IMG_20150204_230319_noexif.jpg

View attachment IMG_20150204_212049562_noexif.jpg

Just thought I'd share my automatic watering setup. Res has an air stone and small water pump, with the water pump set to run 3 minutes every other day, which seemed about right based on my testing of the setup. The hose has lots of holes drilled in it so it drips and sprays all along that curled length. I'm away for a bit, so this is my simpleminded robot replacement, if you will.

View attachment IMG_20150206_213937_noexif.jpg

wow very nice I really like how low you were able to keep it. I just ordered el durado cant wait to see the result! How did you keep it so low? How long did you veg it for?

Thanks for stopping by! I barely vegged at all, did a failed fim (as they often are) after 3 nodes, then flipped as soon as it seemed recovered from that.

The main way I keep it so low is a scrog/LST method I usually use, where I use twine to constantly tie down any branches or tops that get more than a few inches above the screen. Because CFLs are pretty useless more than a few inches from a leaf, this allows me to keep as flat a canopy as possible to maximize what CFLs can provide. I doubt this method would be very beneficial if you're using HID lights, which can penetrate a lot deeper in an uneven canopy.

This has worked very well for me with sativas in the past, though this ElDorado didn't keep up its growth rate in flowering as much as super silver haze did (my last grow on this setup) and African sativas usually do (a couple previous grows). This has resulted in me filling a lot less of the screen than I'd hoped. So I'd recommend a little more vegging than I did, at least if you want a plant about the size I was aiming for.

thats so nice! really like to see that makes me feel better about ordering that seed. I was kinda worried I wouldn't be able to fit it in my tent. I was thinking of topping it and tying down the colas but honestly this will be my first serious grow

Sorry if that was confusing, but those other photos were of Super Silver Haze from Dinafem. I was using that to show how much bigger other sativas have grown when I use the same technique.

oh ok, still very low to the ground. really like the way the buds are looking cant wait to see how it turns out

Just got back from vacation, the plants survived 11 days without me! Here are a few new photos, buds are putting on some weight. The mystery plant is showing definite nute burn signs, but the ElDorado seems OK on that front. I won't be feeding them again unless I notice a deficiency, so hopefully the overnute plant will grow out of it. Either that plant is super sensitive or my homemade compost/worm castings were hotter than I thought.

Last two photos are the mystery plant, rest are the ElDorado.

View attachment IMG_20150217_211417529_HDR_noexif.jpg

View attachment IMG_20150217_222823_noexif.jpg

View attachment IMG_20150217_223153_noexif.jpg

View attachment IMG_20150217_223103_noexif.jpg

View attachment IMG_20150217_222558_noexif.jpg

View attachment IMG_20150217_222718_noexif.jpg

Oh, meant to add: ElDorado is on day 55 of 12/12, maybe more like 46-48 of true flowering, while the mystery plant is almost three weeks behind.

Thanks for stopping by! I don't think there's any need for anyone to apologize, I know my setup is a bit unconventional, and I accept that this may not follow the strict definition of a scrog (where most of the training is done pre-flip), but it works for me.

The room is about to get a major upgrade, I'll be ordering my 600w HPS later this week. After more than a decade under CFLs, I'm ready to scale things up a bit. My next update will probably be with the new light, this weekend or early next week.

Been awhile since the last update. Got a new 600w hps and upgraded the ventilation system. The humidity has been extremely low in the room (below 20% some days), so some of the leaves are looking a bit dry even with near-daily watering. The freebie still shows signs of nute burn, but oh well. Also, the light was lowered a little after the picture below, but with how dry it is in there I didn't want to exacerbate it by bringing the light too close right away.

Will be moving one or more of the DWC plants into the flowering room in the next couple days too. Hopefully the humid air from the reservoir air stones will help a little with the desert air in there now. The veg room has had around 45% humidity at the same time, and that's the only reason I can think for the difference.

View attachment IMG_20150304_221632260_HDR_noexif.jpg

View attachment IMG_20150305_104024_noexif.jpg

View attachment IMG_20150305_103517_noexif.jpg

View attachment IMG_20150305_103935_noexif.jpg

View attachment IMG_20150305_103247_noexif.jpg

View attachment IMG_20150305_103847_noexif.jpg

Latest posts

Back