cloning rules

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't feel bad GH, I have 4 cuttings of Goji that have been in solo cups now going on 3 weeks and they still aren't showing any growth.:eek:

bet u have changed water once or twice. good! i put (6) little tiny bottom throw away branches of jack herer (because of chatter) into rapid rooters for 2 1/2 weeks. peeked and (2) had a couple roots popping out of foam edges(alive). so i put all (6) in tiny solos with happy frog. watered for 2 more weeks and all (6) look great now. 1st time i got 100% cloning... my incredible bulk clones are doing much better than others in straight tap water. a couple of them have grown fish bones pushing up and out of water. hardy group..

I usually don't have much trouble cloning myself but I think these Goji plants are some that are difficult to clone like the Larry OGKush. Ive seen some that I believe could be tossed onto concrete and would root :eek:

I have a question for you guys that are soaking your clones in a glass of water are you putting them up in the window and letting them do their thing because if so I'm wondering if what we have all been taught about letting the light be on for 24 hours maybe it's not such a good thing I've been doing a test on the clones the ones that I let sleep for a few hours a night seem to be doing a lot better than the ones that run 24 hours light what are your guises thoughts on this The next test I'm going to do will be with a bubble cloner and some aloe vera I'm going to take a big branch of the aloe vera and squeeze all the juice into the water and see how things go because apparently the Alevera is supposed to help the plant uptake and keep it healthy until it grows its roots

I have a question for you guys that are soaking your clones in a glass of water are you putting them up in the window and letting them do their thing because if so I'm wondering if what we have all been taught about letting the light be on for 24 hours maybe it's not such a good thing I've been doing a test on the clones the ones that I let sleep for a few hours a night seem to be doing a lot better than the ones that run 24 hours light what are your guises thoughts on this The next test I'm going to do will be with a bubble cloner and some aloe vera I'm going to take a big branch of the aloe vera and squeeze all the juice into the water and see how things go because apparently the Alevera is supposed to help the plant uptake and keep it healthy until it grows its roots

i put clones inside a box with cfls temps around 80F with oasis foam cubes autofed from bottom ebb and flow. Anything that i put inside there clones fast at a 100% rate. i have no additives whatsoever and i leave the lights on 24/24. Don't seat it, provide warm humid temps with moist airy medium, and they will root. no need for hormones

i put clones inside a box with cfls temps around 80F with oasis foam cubes autofed from bottom ebb and flow. Anything that i put inside there clones fast at a 100% rate. i have no additives whatsoever and i leave the lights on 24/24. Don't seat it, provide warm humid temps with moist airy medium, and they will root. no need for hormones

love to see a pic or two of your set-up zem if u get some time, sometime. THANKS!

that easy my friend, just that my space is tight so i cannot take better pics, i think it shows, a plastic container 20L below with a mini submersible that autofeeds the tray above. i have 6 cfls with a switch for 3 of them. sometimes i feel like if i put a leaf in a cube in there it will root.

How is the Y-Griega doing? any pics? :D cheers

View attachment 20160724_105611.jpg

View attachment 20160724_105738.jpg

Budlight: when doing cloning, I generally will try to keep my cuttings in 75-80f temps and cut back the lumens to about half of what they get in veg. Plants setting behind glass in modern windows get less UV light because the glass panes have small amount of UV filter in them, this may account for that success, but some plants will root easier and can root in full light. You have to be careful about cutting off lights entirely though. I tried that and my cuttings began to flower before they grew roots. I think I was doing 20/4 cycle.

thanks zem! i see cfls. i see rapid rooter tray. u have a 20 liter water container that top waters with a mini pump, your clones and then drains into a reservoir tray below??? how often does your pump run?? timer?? what is your r.h. in clone area?? is it enclosed?? sorry for so many questions.... pup, i cut lighting to 16/8 and my clones started to flower also. i was trying to replicate my wifes success cloning in windows. i was not sure(flowering) whether it was because of taking clones from moms that were 8 days into flower or 16/8 lighting. also, i believe i am growing alot of small new leaves before rooting. make sense??

GH the 20 liter container does ebb and flow from the bottom of the tray above, that tray in which the "rapid rooter" tray sits. the "rapid rooter" tray is only to hold the cubes a bit above the tray bottom so that they drain well. it is set on the same timer along with the veg chamber that floods it every 4 hours. it is enclosed with a towel curtain but not airtight. i use that towel for my sink to dry my hands lol temps inside are stable 80. last time i checked RH was 50s-60 inside. I noticed no ill effect from using up to 6 cfls in 2x2 cloning box. the height of the box is about 1 ft total. it gets quite bright 24/24

GH the 20 liter container does ebb and flow from the bottom of the tray above, that tray in which the "rapid rooter" tray sits. the "rapid rooter" tray is only to hold the cubes a bit above the tray bottom so that they drain well. it is set on the same timer along with the veg chamber that floods it every 4 hours. it is enclosed with a towel curtain but not airtight. i use that towel for my sink to dry my hands lol temps inside are stable 80. last time i checked RH was 50s-60 inside. I noticed no ill effect from using up to 6 cfls in 2x2 cloning box. the height of the box is about 1 ft total. it gets quite bright 24/24

THANK YOU! when u say ebb and flow, i'm thinkn bass fishing. been a dirt farmer. u forced me to research and i REALLY like that, (ebb and flow) for clones especially. i may try this sometime in the near future. also have been a fem seed guy for 10 yrs or so. cloning just a bit. i ALWAYS have enough throw away branches(possible clones), to fill my tent (3) or (4) times. the single pot dwc method results looked AMAZING too but see there can be issues there. thanks zem!

the Y-GRIEGAS are looking great as is most everything!! except (2) plants, lsd gals, are "long legged red haired adopted bitches". i forget who said that quote and he said it much better. those (2) have single buds close enough together, like chocolopes could go from zeros to heros but will need more than (8) or (9)weeks. i wanna do pics but they just turned 4 weeks in 12/12. gonna be great pics i think. may have my sweety update her i phone. new iphones supposed to take incredible close-up pics.

Just for the heck of it I just stuck a top in some dirt, put a milk jug over it, month later we had life:)
Was wondering on the 14 on 10 off..so this will slow growth down?and not put the plant in flower??
Looking to keep some clones growing slow, the turning them into mother plants....

mrcane, 14/10 might cause them to flower and not root. you can grow them slowly if you need time, just wait on them before you transplant them allow the clones some period of rootbound

There are distinct phases of plant growth: Rooting, vegetative growth, and flowering. Some overlap well and some don't. The hormones in the plants tell the plants what phase to be in. Light/dark are triggers for the release of these hormones. These normally occur in natural patterns in nature, but in the case of cloning, the rules change a bit. We are taking a part of a plant that has been doped with the growth hormone that tells it to continue in the vegetative growth phase, and trying to "force" it in a "nonstandard" direction for the plant.

Starting from the seedling, The rooting phase is one that requires the full attention of the plant until the roots are established. Then the plant will gradually switch over to veg growth, even though the roots are also still growing. This is the overlapping of phases. The same occurs with veg and flowering.

But once you have taken the cutting, you have to slow down(or pause) the "veg" phase in that cutting so that you can switch it over to the "new rooting" phase. Some plants will switch more easily than others. This is also why many people don't try to clone the upper branches as these have even higher levels of "growth" hormone, which inhibit "rooting" hormones.
The key is to get the growth hormones to shut down so that the rooting hormones can tell the plant to switch to rooting. Reducing the level of light to the cuttings and putting the cuttings under yellow(flowering lighting) will help to "pause" the veg growth. Adding rooting hormones ups the chances and speed of rooting. I also will cut my leaves in half to reduce the light gathering surfaces of the plant to pause the growth.

I just had a fat bowl of flowers so I hope this all makes sense :D

There are distinct phases of plant growth: Rooting, vegetative growth, and flowering. Some overlap well and some don't. The hormones in the plants tell the plants what phase to be in. Light/dark are triggers for the release of these hormones. These normally occur in natural patterns in nature, but in the case of cloning, the rules change a bit. We are taking a part of a plant that has been doped with the growth hormone that tells it to continue in the vegetative growth phase, and trying to "force" it in a "nonstandard" direction for the plant.

Starting from the seedling, The rooting phase is one that requires the full attention of the plant until the roots are established. Then the plant will gradually switch over to veg growth, even though the roots are also still growing. This is the overlapping of phases. The same occurs with veg and flowering.

But once you have taken the cutting, you have to slow down(or pause) the "veg" phase in that cutting so that you can switch it over to the "new rooting" phase. Some plants will switch more easily than others. This is also why many people don't try to clone the upper branches as these have even higher levels of "growth" hormone, which inhibit "rooting" hormones.
The key is to get the growth hormones to shut down so that the rooting hormones can tell the plant to switch to rooting. Reducing the level of light to the cuttings and putting the cuttings under yellow(flowering lighting) will help to "pause" the veg growth. Adding rooting hormones ups the chances and speed of rooting. I also will cut my leaves in half to reduce the light gathering surfaces of the plant to pause the growth.

I just had a fat bowl of flowers so I hope this all makes sense :D
Really? From seed I top my plants when they get about 6 nodes. I take top 3 for the clone. Always works great for me and symetrical branching continues as if was started from seed, where as lower branches form alternating nodes. Haven't had a problem with top cuts rooting. Repeat when clone gets 6 nodes.

Cloning ?-- I do a lot of cloning !-- This is just from my experience but fresh cuts don't need anything but ambient light to root !-- I run aero from fresh cut to harvest !--I always take more cuts than I need then "take the best -leave the rest !-- Couple pics -- 1st. My White Widow -- She turned 3 years old in August !-- She don't look that old to me !-- Then a pic of my Nurse Larry --Master Kush aero grow box !-top and inside !

View attachment 20161105_193355.jpg

View attachment 20161105_193136.jpg

View attachment 20161105_192723.jpg

Another thing I keep no mothers !-- I clone from clones !-- Mothers would be a waste of precious space to me !--

Really? From seed I top my plants when they get about 6 nodes. I take top 3 for the clone. Always works great for me and symetrical branching continues as if was started from seed, where as lower branches form alternating nodes. Haven't had a problem with top cuts rooting. Repeat when clone gets 6 nodes.

The tops continue symmetrical branching? neat
I top at the 7th and only keep the top 4 - 6 branches. Never been able to root those tops. What do you mean you take the top 3? the top 3 branches for clones or the nicest 3 tops of the plants that yer topping?

Just for the heck of it I just stuck a top in some dirt, put a milk jug over it, month later we had life:)
snipped....

I can't clone, it NEVER works for me, maybe I should just ignore them.
but really? no water for a month? and the jug is also elegantly simple but again, sealed for a month?

I have never had a problem cloning with a bubbler. Well once i had a light leak in my bubbler that caused that slimy crap,,but H202 took care of that once i fixed the light leak. But i clone stuff all the time,,not just weed. One thing i found out,,clones like it warm and wet. That didn't sound right,,get yur minds out of the gutter. Lol

Latest posts

Back