Backup pump fpr Flood and Drain Sys.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tankdogster

Reaction score
I am going to be working out of town for a week and I'm concerned about pump failure. I have a brand new Active Aqua PU400 pump sold by Hydro Farm and so far I have checked to find this pump making sounds but not pumping water on multiple inspections. I removed the impeller to clean and found nothing and returned to service and it worked great for a week or so but out of the blue the pump failed to start spinning the impeller. Sometimes a small tap will start the water flow but that will not work if I'm not here to watch the system. Can I deploy a small secondary pump to work along side the primary with it own feed/drain or should I look to a higher quality "Little Giant" type of home/commercial pump instead of the aquarium type pump. Any advice? What is the best pump out there?

I'm not sure what would be making your pump fail like that..

The electrical's ok (no loose connections)? The waterline's ok(no lines going too too high up)?

..but when in doubt, I go bigger.

I recommend magnetically driven pumps. The other pumps I've used were designed for boats which regularly get flooded, and they all failed within a short period of time (even when used on the boats).

tankdogster said:
I am going to be working out of town for a week and I'm concerned about pump failure. I have a brand new Active Aqua PU400 pump sold by Hydro Farm and so far I have checked to find this pump making sounds but not pumping water on multiple inspections. I removed the impeller to clean and found nothing and returned to service and it worked great for a week or so but out of the blue the pump failed to start spinning the impeller. Sometimes a small tap will start the water flow but that will not work if I'm not here to watch the system. Can I deploy a small secondary pump to work along side the primary with it own feed/drain or should I look to a higher quality "Little Giant" type of home/commercial pump instead of the aquarium type pump. Any advice? What is the best pump out there?

Howdy tankdogster :ciao:

Get a new pump ;) I went to Home Depot 8-9 yrs ago, buying their smallest fountain pump for maybe $20 and it is still working in my grow right now :woohoo: I have a back-up too, but I have never used it, since I bought them both around the turn of the millenium :rofl:

Puffin Afatty said:
Howdy tankdogster :ciao:

Get a new pump ;) I went to Home Depot 8-9 yrs ago, buying their smallest fountain pump for maybe $20 and it is still working in my grow right now :woohoo: I have a back-up too, but I have never used it, since I bought them both around the turn of the millenium :rofl:
When you say backup are you holding onto a spare pump or do you have two pumps installed? I worried about a pump failure and the loss of my girls. The connections are good and I have a similar pump in my aquarium that sometimes will do the same thing after a water change/pump shut down, The pump sounds like it's working but the impeller is locked up until you tap it or something.

Latest posts

Back