Dry Sift Tumbler

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hackerman

Reaction score
I want to dry sift some weed and I would rather go with a tumbler than a flat screen.

The pre-made tumblers are all about $300 and I don't want to spend that much. I saw a few DIY threads here and there but nothing that was really appealing to me.

I only plan to do a couple ounces at a time so a small one would do great.

I looked at rotisseries but, again, I'm not great with stuff like that.

Any suggestions? Links to a simple tumbler? I do have the screen so if I have to make something, that's about the only part I won't find at WalMart. LOL A tumbler under $200 would work.

Worst case, I'll do a flat screen but my AADH doesn't allow me to shake the screen for more than a few seconds without having to go do something else. LOL I thought about using my vibrating sander and a flat screen.

Just tossing this out for input.

Thanks

OK, I put this together today and, although it's not a tumbler, it's pretty neat.

It starts with a Sterlite Stack and Carry storage tray set.

Very simple. I cut out the bottom of one unit and replaced it with a 133u screen.

Add a few ounces of pot and shake shake shake.

A very short 1 or 2 minute shake produced a nice little pile. Very tasty. Nice buzz.

The units snap together, as does the lid for a nice tight little package.

I want to find a way to automate it. The shaking would be a PITA to do for 10 or 15 minutes.

I tried my orbital sander but it doesn't really work well with vibrations but rather shaken and pushed across the screen. Something similar to the motor that drives the "bulls" in the bars only more gentle.

I still prefer the idea of a tumbler but I was at the store, saw this, and the idea popped into my head.

I may go back and but 2 more. I could put a 90u and 23u screen in the others and have a 4 layer sifter for different grades. Or, just swap them out as desired.

Pretty neat but it definitely needs automated. If I can't come up with a solution for that, it's back to the tumbler idea.

Meanwhile...puff puff. This stuff sure tastes good. :)

View attachment drysift-1.jpg

View attachment drysift-2.jpg

View attachment drysift-3.jpg

View attachment drysift-4.jpg

View attachment drysift-5.jpg

What if you added dry ice?

I did toss it in the freezer last night and today I got 3 more grams out of it.

I don't have availability, to dry ice AFAIK but I'll look around.

I must admit, I'm having a little trouble smoking it. It doesn't really burn well, rather is just kind of bubbles. I may try it in a vape or one of my hot pens.

I smoked a bunch of it today and it packs a decent buzz (coming from me, that's a lot. LOL).

I still think I need to build a tumbler. I looked at some orbital shakers but the nice ones are pretty expensive and the cheap ones don't look like they would do the job.

I have an old furnace humidifier with the wheel that goes around and a water reservoir. Some small mods and this might make a nice tumbler.

Not sure where youre from but where i live grocery stores, packing\shipping stores, or even dairy queens have dry ice. I used a silk screen and dry ice on my last grows clippings and ended up with a baby food jar full of keif. I used it in a pipe a few times...it was ok but it made insanely good butter.

I will check it out. I never looked for it before so it could be very available. Would be nice to use that.

I freeze it every night and in the morning I add an ounce or so and shake it again. So far, I have about 7 grams of nice sift.

After I sift it all, I'll run it thorough the washing machine and see what's left. Although, with dry ice I probably won't need to wash it.

I am going out today. I'll check into it.

Thanks

No you wont need to wash it. I learned the technique from youtube. Look at dry ice extraction.

Very cool. Let us know how good it is.

What a piece of crap. LOL

I rate this about a 3 on a scale of 1 to 10.

First off, it's too small. The entire thing measures about 10" x 6" x 6". I had trouble putting 2 ounces in it and still getting a good tumble. It would comfortably hold 1 ounce.

The design and mechanism is pretty chintzy but it does turn the tumbler.

The motor control is touchy and it's hard to get it between too slow and too fast.

All in all, it does what it says it does but the 150u screen is totally out of the question. It allows the little hairs through and you end up more with something like keif that the melt I get from my shaker that I made (130u). Unfortunately, that last flaw puts it on the shelf.

I am going to stick with my DIY shaker for now and see if I can build a nice tumbler.

Wish I had a better report. :(

Well, making this tumbler is turning out to be more difficult than originally anticipated. LOL I'm not real good with my hands.

Finding the right parts to make the tumbler seems to be the worse.

So, I went back to the idea of finding an automated shaker for the box I made. I really like the results of the box but shaking it for a long time is an aerobic workout. LOL

Gotta love Harbor Freight. They had a pneumatic paint shaker that was on sale and with a 20% off coupon, I walked out under $100.

I will need to make a couple mods to the holder but the first 2 tests went very well. A 5 minute shake from one ounce got almost 3 grams of nice, sticky sift.

I am going to get 2 more of these boxes and make a 4 level box with 133u, 90u and 25u screens. Not sure how well that's going to work but..... we'll find out.

I am going to put this through the test tomorrow because I need an ounce of sift to make some glycerin.

So far, I'm pretty happy.

Right on Hackerman, once you get all the bugs worked out you will have to put up a diy. I would be interested in one myself.

I have been reading up on dry sifting and I seem to be missing a step...... cleaning it on a 70-75u screen to separate the heads from the rest. A process they call, "carding"

I did look at it through the loop and there are stalks and other matter mixed in with the heads. Looks like I'll be trying that first thing in the morning to see what difference it makes. Nothing like good head in the morning. ;)

The carding has been unsuccessful so far but the shaker is a screaming success.

I put a few ounces in and shook it for a few minutes and got 4 grams.

I discovered you can't "card" if it's all sticky. I put it in the freezer for a while and it was much more manageable. I have some in the freezer right now I will test on. The 75u screen seemed a little too small. I am going to try a 90u and see how that works.

I took a 30 second vid of the shaker. Can't use Youtube without an account so I don't know if this is going to embed.

[url]https://vid.me/da7O[/URL]

The carding has been unsuccessful so far but the shaker is a screaming success.

I put a few ounces in and shook it for a few minutes and got 4 grams.

I discovered you can't "card" if it's all sticky. I put it in the freezer for a while and it was much more manageable. I have some in the freezer right now I will test on. The 75u screen seemed a little too small. I am going to try a 90u and see how that works.

I took a 30 second vid of the shaker. Can't use Youtube without an account so I don't know if this is going to embed.

[url]https://vid.me/da7O[/URL]
nifty lil device you put together there, So what was the runs take?

I get sound but no video.

nifty lil device you put together there, So what was the runs take?

I didn't weigh it yet but it was a nice little pile for just a few minute shake. Looks like about 4 grams.

I am just piling it all into a jar because I need to put together 32 grams of this. I want to make glycerin and the minimum the Magical Butter Machine will do is 2 cups. That's 32 tablespoons and I want it to be about 1 tbsp per gram of sift.

So I am going to do a 1 hour shake tomorrow and see what I get. I have about 5 or 6 ounces and some trim so I am hoping to be able to get the 32 grams.

I did take a pile of this and carded it through a 90 micron screen. It came out much cleaner (under the microscope). However, it's not melting like some of the first shakes I did.

View attachment keif.jpg

Latest posts

Back