Mars II 300W vs Mars II 400W

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

The Hemp Goddess

So, going into summer, I am looking at some LEDs. I am thinking that I would get LEDs for my 32" x 32" tent as that is within my budget. Looking at Mars II as they seem to be about the best of the less expensive LEDs. So, I see that the 300W, which is 100 x 3W, is listed as the "older model". The 400W (smallest "new model" available) is 80 x 5W. It seems that I remember something about 3W LEDs being better than 5W (or I could be entirely wrong)? However, the price of 3 300W is less than 2 400W, so, I am really wondering about the difference between the 2, other than the wattage. Are 2 400W better than 3 300W and if so, why? The difference in electrical usage is a non-issue as I don't care if it runs a bit more if there is corresponding yield.

I think Joe420 just had a slight hot spot problem with a Mars LED light. Not sure which one though. Hopefully PJ can shed some light on what would work best for you THG. Other than flipping them smaller and giving them a good trim I have gotten comfortable growing with LED now. I still tend to let them veg to much before flipping them.

The Hot spot is with the COB lights.. not the others.

Go with the 400w ..

th

This is the one PJ would recommend currently :aok: If you talk to Sara directly, you should be able to get a unit for about $168.00 shipped in like 2 days to your door. They don't claim 2 days, but the 4 people including myself that have ordered them in the last 2 months have gotten their lights in about 2 days.

The reflector series 3w, are not as good for flowering as the newer (non-reflector) series 5w. There's more penetration and a better spectrum I do believe.
And we're all pretty much saying "STAY AWAY" from the Sun Series COB version from Mars, for now. That has a heck of a hot spot!

The Hot spot is with the COB lights.. not the others.

Go with the 400w ..

th

This is the one PJ would recommend currently :aok:
Yes I did for an over lapping multiple fixture setup.

In this scenario I would use 1 @700 and call it a day.

Indeed.. I was thinking the 700, but immediately thought you'd slap me with the "tisk tisk" lol. :D

More to come once I (try to) figure out if its just reflection or what.
(Par meter on the way)

I HATE to diss a product I haven't used/tested but that spot sure jumped out @ me the first time I turned it on.
:48:

Picked up a couple of MarsII 400's tonight since I have not tested one yet and recommend them to people all the time based pretty much on others experience and because they are cheap.

Going to run them head to head with one of my lights and see how they fair.

Thread coming when the GG4 finishes.
:48:

that's great info. THG i will pass this summer with an AC and HPS :) you shall go into this sooner that I do and i'm happy that you will do this, i will get to watch and can decide how to do the switch myself. i'm still thinking about the cold temps in winter, i'm thinking that if i switch LED, i would do so for 3/4 and just 1/4 from december till march with hps.

Is it true that the plant can be grown taller under LED to make use of it better? if so, how tall? I think that the bigger the LEDs on the light, the more penetration? that is the 5w will penetrate more than 3w and so on, or am i wrong?

Picked up a couple of MarsII 400's tonight since I have not tested one yet and recommend them to people all the time based pretty much on others experience and because they are cheap.

Going to run them head to head with one of my lights and see how they fair.

Thread coming when the GG4 finishes.

.............I thought this whole time you've had experience with them....

I'm squinting at you...

Ok, I'm over it.. WOO HOO, I'm excited for this test! :rofl: :D :aok:

Ive been seeing allot about LEDS here. I was shocked to see THG concidering LEDS. THE MJ Growing world changing to LEDS? I see all these shows with these BIG GROWERS on TV,,And none of them are using LEDS,,WHY? I have seen a few where they mixed some LEDS in with the HPS,,BUT NONE using JUST LEDS,,,Why is that,, if LEDS are better? Im a little confused. Someone please explain,,I would think if they were better then HPS, the Big growers would have switched already. What gives?
MP seems to be going LED crazy. Lol
Soon MP will be CALLED ,,,PJ'S Passion. Lol

I see all these shows with these BIG GROWERS on TV,,And none of them are using LEDS,,WHY?

It's still new tech. There's a crazy video I saw the other day of some test results and they BLEW me away!!! There's a Terrapin that doesn't even SHOW UP with HPS, and LED's bring them out 10 fold. All areas were increased, and there were 20 less grams (620g vs 640g crops, roughly) ... LED's out performed in every single aspect. There were 20 grams less, but the GPW (gram per watt) was intense! Well over 1gpw!!

You're not seeing ENTIRE rooms because people are just a bit tentative. And c-mon, let's admit that initial investment is expensive, so to convert entire factories on a "hope" (for them since it's new tech)... yeah I don't blame them going in slow.

Let me dig those vids up.. :)

Here... when he starts talking about terrapins, I get really excited, but either way there's a lot of good to hear in this :aok:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrUDJA00soI[/ame]

If there is a piece of equipment(Leds in this case) thats going to make them ( The Growers)more money because they (The Leds)are So Much Better,,then I would thank the investment would be Worth it and they as business men would see that.I have owned my own Construction business for almost 25 yrs,,if there is a piece of equipment thats gonna make me more money then the old one,,it will be purchased one way or the other,,,period. Especially if the Business i am in is Booming like no other,,which is what the Weed business is doing.
IM all for change though,,so lets see what happens,,ive already changed my lights in my house to Leds. They are a much better light to read by and saves me money on my Electric bill. Yehaaaaaa.

Yep... it's coming around WH. If you run that company, and have proven tools, you're not going to replace all those tools with "the hype", you know you're not WH without some tests and research (on your part) etc.

C-mon now.. you never go balls deep. :aok:

.....except me.... I ... I kinda did. :rofl:

x8 fixtures, replacing all my 4 HPS.... balls deep :flex:

.........side note, and apology to ladies. I will never use the term "balls deep" again. But it was required here.

If you run that company, and have proven tools, you're not going to replace all those tools with "the hype
Exactly my point.

Personally,,i think it would be great to replace all these Amp sucking lights with something like LEDS. We shall see. I love LEDS,,Just not the price.

Exactly my point.

Exactly my point. :aok:

If there is a piece of equipment(Leds in this case) thats going to make them ( The Growers)more money because they (The Leds)are So Much Better,,then I would thank the investment would be Worth it and they as business men would see that

We're saying the same thing, I'm just answering your question really. You're not going to replace all your tried and true equipment... THAT'S why you're not seeing all these big growers going "all in" on getting LED's.. they are scared. I do not blame them, do you? They are changing, and that's scary.

I did replace all my tools (hps), and test results and testings all around are showing that I made a good move. hah :) Half the nutrient, half the electricity, 2x the trichs, 10x the terrapins. I just have to retrain the way I grow, and assess my risks. Lucky for me, my risk is going to seemingly pay off :D

Latest posts

Back