Ron Paul, Barney Frank to Obama: Don't Bust Legal Marijuana in Colorado and Washingto

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

7greeneyes

MedicalNLovingIt!
Reaction score
url: hMPp://www.opposingviews.com/i/politics/ron-paul-and-barney-frank-obama-dont-crack-down-legal-pot-colorado-and-washington

Ron Paul, Barney Frank to Obama: Don't Bust Legal Marijuana in Colorado and Washington

By Reason Foundation, Thu, November 15, 2012

Outgoing Reps. Barney Frank (D-Mass.) and Ron Paul (R-Texas) sent a letter to the White House Wednesday asking President Obama not to crack down on legal marijuana in Colorado and Washington, which last week passed ballot initiatives repealing marijuana prohibition.

"We urge you to respect the wishes of the voters of Colorado and Washington and refrain from federal prosecution of the inhabitants of those states who will be following their states’ laws with regard to the use of marijuana," the letter reads. "Scarce federal resources – law enforcement, prosecutorial, judicial, and penal – should not be expended in opposition to the wishes of the voters of Colorado and Washington, given the responsibility of all federal officials to find ways to withhold unwise or unnecessary expenditures."

Paul and Frank introduced legislation in June 2011 that would repeal federal marijuana prohibition. With both men leaving the House in January, pushing for federal drug policy will be up to a new class of House members.

You can read the full letter after the jump, or on Frank's congressional site.
President Barack Obama
The White House
1600 Pennsylvania Avenue
Washington, DC 20500
Dear Mr. President,
We urge you to respect the wishes of the voters of Colorado and Washington and refrain from federal prosecution of the inhabitants of those states who will be following their states’ laws with regard to the use of marijuana.
We have sponsored legislation at the federal level to remove criminal penalties for the use of marijuana because of our belief in individual freedom. We recognize that this has not yet become national policy, but we believe there are many strong reasons for your administration to allow the states of Colorado and Washington to set the policies they believe appropriate in this regard, without the federal government overriding the choices made by the voters of these states.
Respect for the rights of states to set policies on those matters that primarily affect their own residents argues for federal noninterference in this case, as does respect for the wishes of the voters – again, on matters that primarily affect those in the relevant electorate. Additionally, we believe that scarce federal resources – law enforcement, prosecutorial, judicial, and penal – should not be expended in opposition to the wishes of the voters of Colorado and Washington, given the responsibility of all federal officials to find ways to withhold unwise or unnecessary expenditures.
We believe that respecting the wishes of the electorates of Colorado and Washington and allowing responsible state authorities to carry out those wishes will provide valuable information in an important national debate. Our request does not mean any permanent waiver of the ability of the federal government to enforce national laws should there be negative consequences of these state decisions – which we do not believe are at all likely – and thus we have as a result of these two states’ decisions a chance to observe in two states the effect of the policy that we continue to believe would be wise for the country as a whole. Those who disagree with us should welcome the opportunity to put their theories to a test.
Respect for the principles of democracy; respect for the states to make decisions on matters that primarily affect the residents of those states; the chance to conserve scarce federal financial resources – these we believe are many strong reasons for you to defer to the state decisions, and we believe that even those who do not share our view that personal liberty should dictate this result should have no objection to your acting on these principles in this case.
Rep. Ron Paul Rep. Barney Frank
Member of Congress Member of Congress

Thanks 7Greeneyes for posting the Info on these things like this. There used to be a member,cant remember his handle, who posted these type of things all the time and kept us abreast of things going on in the Law. Good to see again.

WeedHopper said:
Thanks 7Greeneyes for posting the Info on these things like this. There used to be a member,cant remember his handle, who posted these type of things all the time and kept us abreast of things going on in the Law. Good to see again.

It was Fruitybud....I sure Hope he is alright.

Its great to hear of these two gentlemen addressing this important issue in such a positive way, I'm sure there are others in DC who would agree but the political climate is not quite ready for sitting reps to speak up.

I remain optimistic that things are about to change for the better.

Hamster Lewis said:
It was Fruitybud....I sure Hope he is alright.

hope I havent rubbed anyone the wrong way, it's just I feel like I'm contributing by informing ppl of the daily's.

Thanks Weedhopper:aok:

7greeneyes said:
hope I havent rubbed anyone the wrong way, it's just I feel like I'm contributing by informing ppl of the daily's.

Thanks Weedhopper:aok:

Not at all 7... You intentions have been nothing but admirable. I think Frutiy had/has something going on in his life last we had heard from him. I know I appreciate and enjoy the news articles you and others post and I try to post some myself when I find them.

Latest posts

Back