Growing Marijuana Forum

Bud of the Month: Umbra's White x Nepalese Indica
Go Back   Marijuana Growing Forum > Marijuana Cultivation > Lights
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Search New Posts Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2018, 07:28 PM   #61
Hackerman
Socially Retarded

Hackerman Hackerman Hackerman Hackerman Hackerman Hackerman Hackerman Hackerman Hackerman Hackerman Hackerman

I usually use #1 pots in the 3x5 and when I move them to the 4x4, I transplant them into #3 pots so it has worked out all along. I just felt 4x4 to 4x4 seemed logical.

I know I have way too much going on right now for a state that's not legal. I am way past the federal minimums. I plan to sell one or 2 tents and scale down. Just wondering what I want to sell and what I want to keep.

Still didn't answer.... how are LEDs for vegging?
Hackerman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 04:30 PM   #62
Hackerman
Socially Retarded

Hackerman Hackerman Hackerman Hackerman Hackerman Hackerman Hackerman Hackerman Hackerman Hackerman Hackerman

I have been reading about LED vs T5 for vegging and OMG!!!!! Everyone has their opinion and (as always) if you don't agree, you're an asshat. LMAO Wow, tough topic. LOL

Anyway, it seems there's good and bad on both sides, as always, but I wanted to explore some things I read. I was going to start a new thread but it seemed to fit in here.

LED for seedlings and clones....

Most posts were in favor of T5 for seedlings and clones. Primarily, the ability to switch some bulbs off and on to control the light output. OK, I'm with that but couldn't you dim an LED low enough for clones and seedlings?

Bulb replacement...

Wow, T5's are pretty expensive and they don't seem to last real long. LEDs last forever (well, OK just the rest of my life. LOL) So, get the best of both worlds.. they have LED conversion bulbs for T5's. 1000 bulbs sells them. Pretty expensive but if they last forever.... cool, I don't mind paying the premium. Not sure if they work in the basic Hydrofarm T5 ballast setup.

I'm so confused. LOL

Heat, light, size, cost, watts, photons, neutrons, green light, red light, blue light...... I'm starting to hear the Twilight Zone theme in my head.

I love my T5.

Maybe because it's new but I don't like LED so far. I guess I just don't like that blurple color. It seems to fill the entire room and makes everything all different looking. Even my nute container labels look different and spooky. I'm hearing Twilight Zone again. LOL

I need to look into the white (looking) LED's if I'm going to go that route. Is there a name for the ones that don't look blurple?
Old 02-13-2018, 04:49 PM   #63
2RedEyes

2RedEyes 2RedEyes 2RedEyes 2RedEyes 2RedEyes 2RedEyes 2RedEyes 2RedEyes 2RedEyes 2RedEyes 2RedEyes

White LEDs@ 3500k 48 w, 9000 lumens per, use as many as you need.
Attached Images

I got these thoughts in my own head
Todd Snider - Play a train song!
2RedEyes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 05:05 PM   #64
Rosebud
Organic dirt farmer

Rosebud Rosebud Rosebud Rosebud Rosebud Rosebud Rosebud Rosebud Rosebud Rosebud Rosebud

Hackerman, i start seedlings under an led. When they are a couple weeks old i turn on the big Lush sucker LED.. no burn just happy. I never move it the whole grow. Love my lush light.

Everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be kind, always.

2016 Grow:http://www.marijuanapassion.com/foru...ad.php?t=73244

Rick Simpson oil done with Everclear thread: http://www.marijuanapassion.com/foru...ad.php?t=66245
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 06:51 PM   #65
Hackerman
Socially Retarded

@Rosie. I didn't think it should be a problem. As long as you can turn it down, I don't see why there should be a problem with LEDs for clones/seedlings.

OK, over that one.

@2RE, I'm not sure if I'm going to make my own or buy one outright. I am pretty good with an iron so I'm sure it's within my scope. I like the idea that I can make it custom sized to my room. I do have an odd sized flowering room.

Hey, HG, I remember you said you use a 2' T5. Would that be good for vegging in a 4x4 tent?

I'm still so confused but at least the Twilight Zone music has stopped. LOL
Old 02-13-2018, 07:57 PM   #66
The Hemp Goddess
Granny Mod

The Hemp Goddess The Hemp Goddess The Hemp Goddess The Hemp Goddess The Hemp Goddess The Hemp Goddess The Hemp Goddess The Hemp Goddess The Hemp Goddess The Hemp Goddess The Hemp Goddess

I think it might not be quite enough for a 4 x 4 tent. I bought it for a 32 x 32 tent and it worked great in there. It is a 12 bulb (30,000 lumen) unit and there are 3 switches so you can run 4, 8 or 12 bulbs.
The Hemp Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 06:42 PM   #67
Hackerman
Socially Retarded

Cool, thanks.

Do you measure LEDs in LUX and Lumens like our HID lights?

I notice my Raspberry Pi is recording about a 40% reduction in LUX from T5 to LED.

The funny thing is, the overall LUX was reduced from almost 12k to about 7k but the infrared actually went up from about 1300 to about 1500.
Old 02-14-2018, 07:19 PM   #68
umbra

umbra umbra umbra umbra umbra umbra umbra umbra umbra umbra umbra

No you don't measure leds in lumens or lux. They are measured in PAR, PPF, and PPFD.
PAR is photo synthetically active radiation and is actually a range of wavelengths from 400nm to 700nm. PPF is photosynthetic photon flux, the number of photons a light source emits per second in the PAR range. PPFD is photosynthetic photon flux density and typically is measured in regards to surface area. Micromoles per square meter per second. This is the closet measurement to lux or foot candles.
Old 02-14-2018, 07:39 PM   #69
Hackerman
Socially Retarded

Cool, thanks.

I did a quick search and, fortunately, RPi already has sensors out and available for this. They even had one called the "ParDuino" for the Aruino. LOL

Thanks bud.

What's up with the white (looking) LED grow lights? Are those called something special? Looking for search terms to send me the right direction. Thanks
Old 02-14-2018, 09:11 PM   #70
umbra

The leds in the breeding box are Samsung 561C leds. Bought them as a kit after 2red put 1 together.
https://solstrip.com/en/
From there I saw BBP do his COB light project. So I looked at those kits as well and a number of COBs are white.
https://cobkits.com/
Of course, someone to explain it all in common terms that the chronically stoned can understand.
http://ledgardener.com/about/
Old 02-14-2018, 11:11 PM   #71
Hackerman
Socially Retarded

The strips are really really getting popular.

Thanks for the links.
Old 02-16-2018, 09:44 PM   #72
Hackerman
Socially Retarded

Been doing s little reading. Sure seems like people hate white LEDs....

https://platinumgrowlights.com/2016/...r-for-growing/

http://www.ledgrowlightshq.co.uk/white-leds/

https://www.blackdogled.com/faq_white-led

There are a million others. Am I misunderstanding something. I really don't like Blurple and it will probably stop me from converting entirely to LED. At least for now.

I was under the impression that "full spectrum" and "wide spectrum" and all that was good. Seems it's great for human eyes but not for plants????
Old 02-16-2018, 10:06 PM   #73
umbra

That's why PAR is a better measurement with leds, it actually measures the light that the plants respond to. So that it's not about absolute maximum of light, but more about the usable light. The white leds are coming on their own. The spydrx is making many true believers in the white light leds.
Old 02-16-2018, 11:41 PM   #74
Hackerman
Socially Retarded

I noticed that many of the poo poo's about white LEDs are coming from grow light manufacturers. Maybe just marketing poo poo since they make blurple and their competitors make white.

It's so difficult to know what and whom to believe these days. Money money money. It's always about who can steal the most money. Sad.

I really don't think I'll go LED if I have to deal with Blurple. I often sit with my plants for hours at a time and these blurple lights are not real pleasant to the eye.

But, if the white LEDs are not even as good as the HID that I have..... blah blah. So much talk. So little truth. It's the reason why I have to do so many things for myself before I know for sure. It's not that I don't believe people, it's just that everyone lies. LMAO
Old 02-17-2018, 12:12 AM   #75
umbra

hope this helps some:
https://fluence.science/technology/p...um-led-lights/
more than photosyhthesis
Old 02-17-2018, 01:40 AM   #76
2RedEyes

2RedEyes 2RedEyes 2RedEyes 2RedEyes 2RedEyes 2RedEyes 2RedEyes 2RedEyes 2RedEyes 2RedEyes 2RedEyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackerman View Post
I really don't think I'll go LED if I have to deal with Blurple. I often sit with my plants for hours at a time and these blurple lights are not real pleasant to the eye.
I know whatcha mean, I like hanging with my plants too. I tried one cheap blurple light and hated it. Used it for part of a single grow and now it sits on a shelf...
I got these thoughts in my own head
Todd Snider - Play a train song!
2RedEyes is online now   Reply With Quote