Live resin extraction tips and techniques

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just wanted to bump this for anyone who isn't doing this yet.

You don't know what you're missing. LOL

The techniques and equipment for this process is moving very fast. I talked to several people who are working on commercial presses. Very soon, this will no longer be (as someone earlier put it) "a waste of good dank".

With the information I have been given and the experimenting I have been doing, I am now getting 30% returns from my weed.

I just ran some ice bubble and with almost 4 ounces of popcorn I got 1/2 ounce of full melt bubble and another 12 grams of lessor grade, good for edibles or whatever (I'll be pressing mine. LOL)

So, that's about a 25% return. I think that's about average for ice bubble.

With pressing, I get at least 25% return and ALL of it is 100% top grade. I have not even done 3 presses per bud yet. Just 2. I had to do 3 washes AND a dry shake to get the 25% from ice bubble.

Look at the last pic below. I got that from a popcorn bud that weighed less that 1/2 gram. There is no one here that can stay high all day on a 1/2 gram popcorn bud. BUT, I'll bet 80% of those same people would stay high all day dabbing this rosin tab. Definitely more economical than smoking plain weed. And, a better buzz.

Don't get me wrong, I like smoking a joint and everything else. I am just glad I didn't miss out on this. And, most importantly for me.... this stuff actually gets me buzzed, I have not been stoned for decades (well, a few times) and after about 8 or 10 dabs of this rosin, I am actually stoned. Pretty cool. Maybe that's why I like it so much. LOL

Unless you're a hobbyist like me, I would wait just a little longer before you spend money on equipment. I already have 3 or $400 in stuff that DOESN'T work. LMAO

However, now that I am climbing the learning curve, I can put together an incredible DIY press for under $100.

I still have plenty of tweaking and testing to do but here is the current setup.

View attachment aframe-1.jpg

View attachment aframe-2.jpg

View attachment aframe-3.jpg

View attachment plates-5.jpg

That thing is $1200. It's pretty slick but the price is insane IMO.

I just wanted to bump this for anyone who isn't doing this yet.

You don't know what you're missing. LOL

The techniques and equipment for this process is moving very fast. I talked to several people who are working on commercial presses. Very soon, this will no longer be (as someone earlier put it) "a waste of good dank".

With the information I have been given and the experimenting I have been doing, I am now getting 30% returns from my weed.

I just ran some ice bubble and with almost 4 ounces of popcorn I got 1/2 ounce of full melt bubble and another 12 grams of lessor grade, good for edibles or whatever (I'll be pressing mine. LOL)

So, that's about a 25% return. I think that's about average for ice bubble.

With pressing, I get at least 25% return and ALL of it is 100% top grade. I have not even done 3 presses per bud yet. Just 2. I had to do 3 washes AND a dry shake to get the 25% from ice bubble.

Look at the last pic below. I got that from a popcorn bud that weighed less that 1/2 gram. There is no one here that can stay high all day on a 1/2 gram popcorn bud. BUT, I'll bet 80% of those same people would stay high all day dabbing this rosin tab. Definitely more economical than smoking plain weed. And, a better buzz.

Don't get me wrong, I like smoking a joint and everything else. I am just glad I didn't miss out on this. And, most importantly for me.... this stuff actually gets me buzzed, I have not been stoned for decades (well, a few times) and after about 8 or 10 dabs of this rosin, I am actually stoned. Pretty cool. Maybe that's why I like it so much. LOL

Unless you're a hobbyist like me, I would wait just a little longer before you spend money on equipment. I already have 3 or $400 in stuff that DOESN'T work. LMAO

However, now that I am climbing the learning curve, I can put together an incredible DIY press for under $100.

I still have plenty of tweaking and testing to do but here is the current setup.

Looks awesome bro... 30% returns has def got my attention... Im usually right around 25% with tane... you made that press above Hacker?

I am going to run some experiments today so I should have some answers and pics later on. I have a gig tonight so I might not be able to post much. I have all day tomorrow set aside for press testing as well.

My current setup is real real simple. A press from Harbor Freight... $80 because I didn't get it on sale and I didn't have my 20% off coupon LOL :)

2 pieces of aluminum plate that I bought on eBay for under $10. 6" x 6" x 0.25"

And 4 PTC heaters. Also bought on eBay for under $5 each.

Cut off extension cords simply connect to the 2 wires and the PTCs are epoxied to the aluminum plates. I have not found a good epoxy yet and I would love to groove out the aluminum plate and put the heater inside a pocket. More tweaks in the near future. LOL

Temperature, Pressure, Duration and RH of the starting buds are the 4 variables to experiment with. And, each setup seems to have it's own set of specs.

I like 15 to 30 seconds. Any longer and the rosin goes from clear/amber to dark. ASSume from the overheat, it gets decarb'd. I have not had a chance to compare highs from the different products but it is definitely noticeably different.

I like about 200F. Some are going hotter and some lower. Lower temps allow longer presses and more yield. Doesn't seem to work at all under 80F or 90F.

Just put a tiny popcorn bud between some parchment and place it between the plate. Press for duration and ... wow.

Now, some people are pressing "pucks". First they take the weed and press it into a puck with a standard hash press. That seems to give a more uniform press. Others are wrapping the weed in 25u screen to keep debris out. Some are pressing dry sift and getting giant puddles of rosin. I'll be trying that today, I hope. :)

Lots of variables yet to be ironed out (no pun intended) but once this method is tweaked, I can't see why anyone would do BHO again. No danger, no residue, no vacuums, no butane costs... and the most amazing taste. And, WOW!, this stuff actually gets me high. Just think what it will do for you and your friends. You'll be the hit of the party. LMAO

More later.

Well, testing today has to end. I have a gig in a few hours and I need to get ready.

Besides, about half way through, the new epoxy on one of the bottom heaters failed and the heater fell off. A while later the other fell off so I stopped testing until I can revise, revamp, refix, redo. I'll ipsy dipsy just turn a screw. ;)

However, I did get to test a couple things.

One was the use of a pressed tab vs the plain bud. All my tests were run on 0.5 gram buds. Albeit, that is a pretty small sample to test but I found little or no visual difference in using a tab vs a plain bud. In the few tests I ran, I must admit that I did see a little better results from a tab in some presses. But, later when I learned to place it right on the edge, the tab didn't seem to perform any better than a plain bud. See the first 2 pics for the most extreme difference between tablet and bud.

The second test was to lower the plate unevenly so the material would be squeezed from back to front rather than all around like the Rorschach test that I get with an even press.

This worked out quite well and pushed most of the rosin to one end. Not perfect but better.

The third experiment I ran was to place the pot/parchment sample right on the edge of the plates. Just in enough so no plant matter would squeeze to the edge. For a .5g bud and my setup, that was about 2" in from the edge. Then, lower the plate unevenly as tested above.

I was very pleased with the results of this test. The rosin began to push out the edge crack and collect on the parchment outside the press plates. This was nice because the rosin all pushed to one end of the parchment and was very easy to collect. Plus, it wasn't sitting in the press decarbing all that time. I did have some bubbling. I wonder if that is from decarbing or if it is simply a result of the rosin exiting the press under pressure. Pressure like that will also cause bubbles (even without or with very low heat) won't it?

It just kept oozing and oozing so I left it in longer than usual. Almost an entire minute. Finally it stopped oozing and I took it out. To my surprise it was not real dark or anything. Some that was stuck in the fold was darker but the stuff that oozed out of the edge crack was nice and amber. See pic 3.

Unfortunately, I forgot to weigh before and after so I am not sure of my yield. I pressed about 5 or 6 grams and got a little less than a gram of rosin. Not very good but not bad for a test run.

I did run one test for yield but it's so small it's not real valid. I took exactly 1 gram and pressed it on the edge with everything I learned today. By now, both my bottom heaters fell off so I am working with one heated plate and the bottom plate being heated on by the top plate during preheat. Still, I got almost 0.2 grams out of it. A very nice little puddle. See the last pic.

Fun day. Gotta gig. See you at 4AM. LOL

View attachment edge-1.jpg

View attachment edge-2.jpg

View attachment edge-3.jpg

View attachment edge-4.jpg

View attachment edge-5.jpg

Interested once you get it dialed dude. Been thinking to figure a way to get oil out of the 45g cbd dry ice sift I'm sitting on.

I have been totally unsuccessful at pressing dry sift. I think I am packaging it wrong or something. I'll try to find out the right way and pass it on here.

The guys pressing dry sift at using a screen to contain it. Every time I try, the screen absorbs everything.

I have a long way to go to perfect this but I can definitely see this as staple for me. This and ice bubble meet most of my needs. I really think I like the taste of good hash better than this rosin.

Kinda hard to get a grasp on yield when the rorschack test results dont look like much. Then you show a glob infront of the smokes. Interested and watching.....

I have eliminated the Rorschach effect. I have a technique for squeezeing about 90% of the rosin toward one direction.

This is about a 1/2 gram nuggie.....

View attachment chan-5.jpg

Latest posts

Back