mother plant

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jungle

kind bud
Reaction score
basicaly....a person grows a plant from seed....then when it begins to flower...and it's female.....a person takes cuttings off of the plant and uses them as clones.....I'm trying to understand the mothers role here? I'm thinking I would either take the original plant that had the cuttings taken away...put it in a diferent area for veg..to be the mother.....and grow the clones...for bud...or one could keep flowering the larger plant and use one of the clones for the mother....if this is correct one has to have the room for harboring mother plants...? Which is going to be my next line of study...whats a good grow room for mother plants..look like....and what does the room need inorder to sustain mother plants...

..what are some pros and cons between these two ways of cloning..#1 having mother plants....or....#2 getting new cuttings off of newly discovered female plants...and not using the same mother plant each time? am I thinking along the right lines all new to me...

basicaly....a person grows a plant from seed....then when it begins to flower...and it's female.....a person takes cuttings off of the plant

( this is where you are confussed, its not hte best to take cuttings from a plant that is in flower, so you need a to let the cutting revert back to the vegitive state and the make that your mother grow her big and strong and aleways in veg then use the cuttings from your mum to start your next crop, i do hope that makes sence)

and uses them as clones.....I'm trying to understand the mothers role here?

whats a good grow room for mother plants..look like....and what does the room need inorder to sustain mother plants...

I have 2 mums under a 250w envirolight, space is no more than 1m x 1m it also makes a great nursery cause I have another 25w envir light in there for the clones, when they need it. IMHO

..what are some pros and cons between these two ways of cloning..#1 having mother plants....or....#2 getting new cuttings off of newly discovered female plants...and not using the same mother plant each time? am I thinking along the right lines all new to me...

The cutting will get stronger the older the mother plant is, you could take a cutting from a mum that is more than 3 or 4 years (older I expect) then your cuttings would be that age aswell with the same charatistics as the mum, if you go down the road of taken cuttings from flowering plants they will not root, thats nit what they are doing they are flowering and in that period roots are not a priority,buds are, so get a mum grow her good,IMHO

I grow the seed and that seed is momma.She only sees 12/12 when I'm through with her.All clones took from her are flowered.If you take a clone and clone it your loosing a lil something something,so this is how multi people told me is best.
Just keep momma in 18 hours of light or more.Put in the corner where you vegg.

eventually the clone may lose a "little something something".. but just a clone from a clone from a clone i don't think would result in loss of potency.. now if we're doing this for like 20 years, i could see it maybe.

i know some people who take a clone, keep it as a mother, then clone it, keep that clone as mother.. etc (then you only have to worry about a small mother instead of a large one)

i dunno, addmittadly my cloning/mother practices aren't the best. i have a very small cabinet with very poor lighting (i call it the coffin) it's basically just life support untill i need more clones. obviously not the best choice, but whatever works eh?

I have taken a clone of a clone of a clone, ect... "Eventually" the vigor, potency, and yeild go to hell. It has happened on 'more than one occasion' for me.
I'll now keep a "donor" for 3-5 years, then I'll start another "donor" from her clone.

lets say this is what I'm going to do.....plant regular seeds...veg them a bit...flower them....determine male females...discard males....revert females back to veg stage......take clones from the females that were once flowered....put these clones in the grow room....veg a bit....then induce the clones into flowering.....

The mother plants will then be kept...under lights..in a different ...grow area and kept growing..in the veg stage....to take future clones from her...from what I've been reading here this seems to be a basic way of cloning.....after awhile I can replace the faded mothers with one of her clones..and the mother than can be flowered if I like...this way should produce good results it sounds like....am I understanding well enough now? Thanks

o.k here we go,first off I have been known to take clones at day 21 of 12/12.that said,first you need to know the plant is female,that requires at least pre-flowering,then if you are going to keep that female for your mom,you need to put her somewhere where you can reveg her(16/8 seems to work just fine)then cut clones from her when you need them,very simple,as easy as keeping a house plant,but you must not change the light cycle,good luck and good growing

jungle.. Pretty close to my chosen method. The 'only' thing that I like to do a bit different, ""I" prefer to veg the plants from seed, to full sexual maturity, take cuttings, label and # them. I'll then flower the seed plants to full maturity. Carefully watching their vigor, growth structure, ect. for characteristics that "I" like or desire.
Once fully flowered, I then "test" the final product for desirable characteristics. Flavor, potency, ect. And then...make a descision/choice of which labeled clone I want to keep as a 'donor'/mother. The one matching the best plant grown from seed..
I like growing/flowering out the plants from seed. I think it gives a more honest insight into it's true performance, phenotype, ect.

yes do as Hick says..
lable them all, then take clones of EVERYTHING, then put them to flower. (when you find a male or two, just toss whatever it's clone was.. hence the # lable)

i did it stupid my last time, thought "oh i'll just keep a few of the best looking for mothers".. well i had a few awesome pheno's that are now gone because i didn't clone them. (hoping i'll fluke out and find it again.. was beautiful purpl-ish rock hard great tasting bud.)

i learned my lesson, learn from me.

hick.....when the plant is able to produce flowers...it is sexually mature....so then the plant is known as male or female...I need to revert plant back to veg to take cuttings.... take the cuttings..make clones out of them.....then grow original seed plant and begin to flower it again and harvest it..to see if it's what I like....so I then let the clone grow and veg while the mother is showing what shes made of.....if I like the mothers...then I take cutting off of her clone ......clone them .....veg them to sexual maturity...induce flowering...then harvest them...keeping 1 clone as the new mother plant....eventually as needed this mother can be replaced...by another one of her clones....right?

kaotik said:
just take some clones off them BEFORE you flip them into bloom.
then you don't have to worry about wasting time reverting to veg ;)

apart from that, you've got it.

yup yup yup...

Like they said,
take a few clones off each, label them, flower the moms and if they turn out to be guys just chuck the clones that came from them, or keep em and breed.

thanks kaotik and Dman i'll give it a try......the next grows going to be awsome..

While Hicks method it the best way, it isn't always practical fora strickly legal grower under a strict limit for the number of plants. I know from experience that is it easy to clone from early flowering plants -- it just takes longer for the roots to show. I have beeen told by some senoior experienced growers here on the forum that you can clone any plant that hasn't started to die, it just takes longer and your success ration decreases the closer to harvest you get. If you are willing to sacrifice some of your first crop, it is not real hard to harvest the plant leaving between 1/5 to 1/3 of the plant, including buds, alone and reveg the mother after harvesting it.

That is what I'm going to do with one of the 9 MTFs I have flowering, sacrifice part of the crop on the best one, reveg it and use it for a mother since I did not get the clones from all nine before flowering them. (Actually I tried but I didn't keep the clones area warm enough and none of them tookI'm also trying to take cuttings from all nine now at 5+weeks into flower.

Good smoking.

Latest posts

Back