Comparing hid to led lights

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I knew you would be back pj. Just like a bad hemroid, popping up and hanging around to cause trouble.:rofl:

At least Monkey has balls and big buds, something you are lacking.:aok:

An admin from this site contacted both PJ and I and asked us to come here to help some people on LED's... and this is how it is in here?!

What the hell is wrong with you people? PJ bandwagon and hemroids?!!!! Funking LOOK at yourselves for a minute, reflect on the sh!t you said, and maybe suck it up for a minute and think "Oh heck, that was rough" because you're all acting like teenagers in high school.

Again... admin, from here... asked us to come back and talk LED to some members, and then we stumble into this thread and see this? Well isn't that a fine "how do you do?"

And this is coming from a guy (myself) that went LED and is now going back HPS.... but all that is irrelevant at this current moment. You members can't talk about sh!t without having to bash someone??

I'm disappointed in you guys :(

Love,
DGF from 'the bandwagon'

As for the original question, I would purchase the top brand LED's (Illumitex, BML, Spectrum King) if I did any LED purchases right now. The penetration on the lower and mid end stuff is quite atrocious and the longevity of the diodes in the Mars fixtures seems rather crap. I bought 8 of them and in less than a year all the diodes are blowing out. Which makes almost no sense considering they are 5w diodes being driven roughly 33%. Why would I have exploding diodes and burning on the pcb board? I would assume piss poor soldering and cheap diodes used. To me, the heatsinks looked pretty good...but I'm no pro.

So, instead of investing about $1,500 - $2,200 on a top LED, I've now gone back to HPS for now as I do not have the initial investment. It was $325 for 1000w Galaxy HPS setup, with Raptor hood (thing is HUGE) and Hortilux bulb. And I bought this at my store just 40 minutes away. Butttttttttt, when I have the investment funds, I will be purchasing some of the BML or Illumitex fixtures by this summer (hopefully) because the increase in terrapins and resination is 100% proven. Both by my own (and many others) experiences and many lab results! As for density, it must be there in the higher end fixtures.. I've seen numbers and various other things from PJ that would make you all poo and question what you know. He may come off a certain way, but PJ is one top class dude with extensive knowledge about many things in the industry (not just LED!). For you to all rip him, is just silly, and unfortunately I feel like I will indeed get ripped on as well. :(

In closing... I will say one thing. Stay away from M a r s. :aok:
Oh... and be good to one another! Seriously, we're only here for a blink in time! Some of you ol' fogies should know this, right? :D

ok, I admire the research PJ has done. What are his motives? growing better pot and looking into the future. No need to dump on him. I did ask he and dgf to come back and answer some LED questions that we needed answered. Thank you both for coming back and I apologize for peeps that don't appreciate that there are lots of ways to grow our herb.

Thank you PJ and dgf for coming when i asked you. I appreciate you both and your education on LED's.

I don't think I can ask for their help anymore. My bad. i thought we were all adults. Now i am in trouble!

I don't think I can ask for their help anymore. My bad. i thought we were all adults. Now i am in trouble!

You are absolutely not "in trouble" with anything Rose... You're not responsible for the actions and/or mindsets of others.

Much love Mrs.

:rofl: thanks for answering everybodies guestions.
Glad ya stopped by to get **** going. Nothing like some conversation to get the blood pumping early in the morning. Yehaaaaaaaaa
Sorry Doc,,,,i will now bow to King PJ,,,well not all the way cause i haves a bad back. Lol
Thanks PJ for dropping by and helping us out. Dont be a stranger. Im gonna run out and buy me some LEDS cause i am sold.
And Rose im glad ya asked them to pop over,,,i love a little fun this early in the morning. Keeps me from being bored.
And not agreeing with someone doesnt make us bad ppl. I didnt say a damn thing mean to or about PJ. I have always been cordial to PJ. Even sent ppl to him that had questions. I will continue to mess with PJ cause i like to have a little fun. Course he aint been around for me to mess with till now. Yehaaaaaaaaa
Oh and whats up with the Monkey thing? Did i miss something? I knew Monkeys had went into space,,,but i did not know they could grow weed. He he
Dont say it,,,dont,,say ,,it,,,. I know if Weedhopper can grow a Monkey damn sure can.:rofl:

If LED's are the best lights....why does no one run them professionally? Sure, you can find a couple of vids out there with guys doing "testing" to prove that their sponsors LED fixtures are the "best". BTW...those results are completely false. We have been smashing 3 lb/s per DE. With numbers like that...electrical costs are not a worry.

You talked a BIG game PJ...only to have a lot of folks who fell for your marketing skillz go back to HPS. If they ever went to DE's..they would be pissed you led them to LED's.

Keep on marketing my friend.

Again..LED's have their place.....lighting my kitchen, not in my growroom.

Now whos gonna call NCH a liar. He knows his ****,,,and has proof that nobody growing to get the biggest bang for thier buck is using LEDS,,period. Glad to see someone with real experience telling the truth instead of blowing smoke up ppls ***.
And im not just talking about PJ. I have seen Monsters grown ith those DEs,,so why would anybody use LEDS that CANNOT compare with those results no matter how you paint it.
Can you grow Bud with LEDS,,,of course. You can grow bud with CFLs And T5s,,but they do NOT compare with HIDs. But to each his own. Its your money and your time,,do what your comfortable with,,but dont make rediculous claims. Personally i love LEDS for lighting my house and my Smart TV, and they make great Flashlights. And maybe someday they will be able to catch up with DEs,,but they have along ways to go. And that is a FACT.

I live in the biggest Marijuana market in the world. More indoor grown around me in a 100 mile radius then in any other place. It is of the utmost importance to grow the best and the biggest yields in order to survive.

If there was ANY tech that helped improve yield/quality there is no question that those items would be in place in commercial rooms. Cost does not matter...If cost was an issue, you are in the wrong game.

I give PJ hella credit tho. He made me look into PAR light as a better source of lighting for MJ. DE's just happen to be better at a bigger scale, and there is no refuting that.

To say that LED is the best and only light to grow the best MJ is just a falsehood.

Don't cry for PJ...he is a big boy and has slammed many a member for not agreeing with him. Even his fanboys are going back to HPS, which is not the way to go really.....

I just wonder where all this angst comes from. I don't get it. It isn't as though pj, you invented led....i don't understand the misplaced passion.

Thank you for stopping in NCH, ALWAYS a pleasure. We need the truth here and maybe everyone has a different truth. Keep up the good work doood.

good to see NCH in the house---loads of questions---what is the big deal about double ended lighting---i need to go on a field trip to bone up with some knowledge---hope you're well

DE's are just outstanding. I have been growing a long time and have not seen any tech that has made such an impact on quality/quantity as DE bulbs.

Yes...they run hot. but I was able to replace 5 traditional HPS with 3 DE's and improve my yield. The plants love it.

They are not for everyone. You must control the heat, which any good grower can do. I suspect you could run a DE at 600w and get great yields and lower heat.

I will be purchasing some of the BML or Illumitex fixtures by this summer (hopefully) because the increase in terrapins and resination is 100% proven. Both by my own (and many others) experiences and many lab results! As for density, it must be there in the higher end fixtures.. I've seen numbers and various other things from PJ that would make you all poo and question what you know.

Another falsehood. terp production relates directly to heat. LED's produce less heat...more terps.

If you control heat..DE's smash LED terp and resin production...along with other forms of opening stomata and plant uptake.
Light is only one small part of producing dank.

Testing is another farce that is a great marketing tool. Believe what you want, but as of right now...ALL testing is **. Take a sample to 5 different "testing" facilities and see the variance in results.

That LED's produce better herb is an outright lie, said by folks that don't know any better.

BTW...you know how many buyers ask about Terp numbers and resin count....Zero. Ever.

Welcome to the jungle

DE's are just outstanding. I have been growing a long time and have not seen any tech that has made such an impact on quality/quantity as DE bulbs.

Yes...they run hot. but I was able to replace 5 traditional HPS with 3 DE's and improve my yield. The plants love it.

They are not for everyone. You must control the heat, which any good grower can do. I suspect you could run a DE at 600w and get great yields and lower heat.

awesome 3 DE to replace 5---that's a pretty good selling point---improved yields is another---why does it seem i only see hoods a fraction of the size of a good 8" traditional hps

been watching and reading...ston, how big is commercial? Maybe it is different for different people. Your photos are limited to what can be seen. I mean, I don't see a 10,000 sq.ft. warehouse filled with LEDs. I don't see final flower size or weight per light. Not trying to pick any fights with anyone. NCH says 3lbs per light...where are you? NCH is currently running 98 double ended gravitas. How many LED panels are you running?

Not to stir up a stink, but I use LEDs and love them. I use HPS and they work great as well. But I don't have to change the bulbs every 6 to 12 months with LEDs.
LEDs with the right spectrums are just as, or more productive, watt for watt than HIDs. Another mistake people make is buying a single powerful unit and trying to get even uniform coverage. Multiple smaller units spread over the same area will give better coverage and allow the lights to be kept closer.
Believe me, I've bleached a few buds getting them too close to my Lumigrow 325s and 650. I had to learn it wasn't an issue of heat, like the HPS, it was light intensity that caused the problems.
But my newer arrays which are 3' x 4' and 550 watts each can be kept within inches with no problems.
And my plants finish a good week sooner under the LEDs. That's one of the biggest reasons I use them. Just my experience.
Peace, Superman

It's not my grow umbra. It is a dispensary grow in SF that a friend works at. Can't give you the details on it, but just the blanket statement that they aren't being used in large operations is false. This is a large warehouse operation using BML fixtures.

Latest posts

Back