My meager start, one out of two....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah, you threw me when you said meagre "start", I thought it was your first grow.
Think I'll pull up a chair here, but no more advice from me, I am your bizarro world, I have about 60 plants and don't much care if I lose any. I could never do this :)

Well, yes it is my first grow, and no I don't know what the hell im doing.... haha, just trying to see what I can do. Just researching and trying things on a small scale. I'll be away from the house for the next few days so that'll be good. I seem to want to fiddle with it too much so we'll see how it it when I return....

After being gone for 4 days, though I think one of the light circults had become unplugged so it was on half light for those days....I'll have the be more carefull in the future.

View attachment IMG_7185.jpg

Definitely some interesting stuff going on here since I chopped this young lady. I'm a rookie grower though so maybe it's just my excitement! Anyway, I've ordered some led side lighting to add when I switch over to flower mode. Not sure when that will happen. It is growing much more compact that I had thought it would, and since I'm in such a confined space, I think that is a good thing. I basically have as much height as I need but only about 12" of width available. Well, things still seem to going good so, we'll keep going.....

View attachment IMG_7207.jpg

Youre having a ph problem i think. The tips of the leaves and the overall gnarled look of the plant give it away. It should be easy to get back under control.

Definitely something not right. Here's the deal with this plant. It's a spacebucket grow so very small space but the height is adjustable by adding more bucket tops. There are 6 cfl's in there and 4 small computer fans, 2 blowing in down low and 2 blowing out up top. I'm using "kind soil" of this first grow because it sounded like an easy way to get my feet wet. It is a water only no Nute soil. Supposedly you don't even have to check ph. I'm giving it distilled water because my tap water ph is kinda high. I certainly haven't over Watered it.
Today I switched over to 12/12 in order to move on to flowering. I know I'm not looking at a large yield here but that's alright, I'll work on that in the future. I did follow the direction on the kind soil. It says to use a pound of it for every gallon of the grow bucket. It goes in the bottom and then add your favorite organic soil on top, nothing else needed but water. But obviously something is wrong.
Thanks for looking and I'm listening for suggestions....

View attachment IMG_7210.jpg

I think shes not liking the soil. Be wary of anyone telling you you dont have to check ph. You have some textbook signs of ph problems. I could be wrong, but from experience battling ph in my own garden its my opinion.

Another thing I noticed when I water the plant yesterday, after five days, was that the water started pouring out the side of the cloth pot less than halfway down the pot. So I'm thinking I have a drainage problem too and I'm not getting a good distribution of the water. I'm unsure what to do about that at this point. I'll get some ph test strips today and check that out.
The picture doesn't show the discoloration as clearly as in person but several of the lower leaves are drying and turning brown and you can see a little of the tips on the new grown have a bit of yellow in them.

I would re pot in some better soil maybe. Or try a good flush.

Another thing I noticed when I water the plant yesterday, after five days, was that the water started pouring out the side of the cloth pot less than halfway down the pot. So I'm thinking I have a drainage problem too and I'm not getting a good distribution of the water. I'm unsure what to do about that at this point. I'll get some ph test strips today and check that out.
The picture doesn't show the discoloration as clearly as in person but several of the lower leaves are drying and turning brown and you can see a little of the tips on the new grown have a bit of yellow in them.

(assuming you did check your pH)

5 days !! Is the hydroton half way down?
lose the pellets or lose the dirt, pick one. I say pellets, your earth is lousy :) Soil under the pellets makes watering tricky, how can you check it?
I'd (very gently) pour that plant right out of that pot and lose the dirt.
Go just with the rocks. Water to your hearts content. Nuting gets easy.
but she'll be shocked, you'll lose a week
I'd say too much light too, bet it's also heating up the rocks, baking earth under rocks
(I'm pretty ripped though, careful with my advice)
2 of those 6 bulbs is plenty when this small, no?
there's a formula somewhere

So I got some ph test strips from an indoor grow supply store nearby and checked the water I'm putting in at 5.8. It's in a 3 gallon cloth pot and what little came out the bottom of the pot was at 6.6. I'm not smart enough to know what that means so if you feel inclined, I'm listening.

Lesso must be beating his head against a wall.
I'm not touching this one, toored :)
my pH skills are lacking, I have pictures

Things are starting to shape up so I'm just gonna keep on going. Though now that the weather is warming a bit, I'm gonna build myself a larger grow space I'm my workshop and start a new lady or two. Anyway, this little pot, is on 12/12 for the duration. I also tied some branches down to try and spread things out just a bit. Also on soappy's advice, I took out two of the 3000k cfl's and now have Two 3000k and two 2700k cfl's but added a red and blue LED strip for a little side lighting. She seems happy for now....

View attachment FullSizeRender.jpg

Looking better. Good work.

I moved my baby to a new location in my shop now that the weather is warming up and into a little larger space. Even though it is still a small 2'x2'x36" it's still bigger than what I had. I've also germinated a couple of new seeds and have them planted in soil though they have yet to break the surface. Things are moving along. The heater is a thrift store purchase and is controlled by a device I had been using to control the temp in my fermentation chamber. It turns the heater on when the temp drops to 71 and off when it reaches 73 degrees. So far I don't need cooling and hopefully I'll finish these grows before that happens.

View attachment IMG_7227.jpg

Wow, look at her go.
careful watering with that heater sitting there (sez the guy who mounted his RO unit on top of a duplex)
I've been goofing around a lot with watering methods as I've had to improvise with a surprise glut of plants... if that were my plant,
I'd mix up a batch of nutes in a 5 gal bucket tad more than half full and slowly dip that lady every hour (if so inclined, at least every 4hrs)
slowly lower her to 2" below surface of rocks
wait a bit and slowly raise, she will love it.
aerating that bucket between dips wouldn't hurt
or not, I see the wet spot, does it ever get dry, I'd want it to get dry and then dip her again
what's in the cups?

OOOPS.... assuming that's all hydroton, I forget , if that's just a top layer and there's soil, skip this post

Latest posts

Back