Soil Too Moist Or Wet?????? Help Please

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
H

halzey68

1st Time Grow About 16 Days In Now. Plants Look Good, Nice And Green. But I Dont Know About My Soil. The Cheap Meter I Got From Orchard Supply Says Its Wet. I Havent Watered Or Fed For 2 Days Now And They Still Are Doing Nicely. The Soils Is Still Moist Just An Inch Or Two Below The Surface. I Planned On Not Giving Them Any Thing But A Couple Ounces Of Water Right On The Base For A Few Days On Letting The Soil Dry Out A Little. Does It Sound Like Im On The Right Track???????? 10 Gallon Pot's, Put Blocks Right In So I Didnt Have To Woryy About Shocking Them Transplanting Again. More Photo's On My Other Thread In " Dream It, Build It, Grow It, 1st Time Norcal Purple" IN THE GROW JOURNAL SECTION.

FL000018.jpg

you got good plants right there... I Like you I remember these pic from other forum.. I was stumped of too much water and all that, like you.... but not anymore.. just dip your finger on the soil, if you do feel wet, then its wet, do not water any, u only need water it 2 time a week, but check by dip ur finger first, if its too dry, its time to water it.. u are on right track.. also be sure all pots has good drainage, when you water it, you should see water coming out of bottom holes of pot, then its good drainage, still on right track. you worry too much like they are your real baby :)

i know its hard not to give your plants something everyday.but do not do it.it might not be a problem immediately ,but you will have probs down the road.i have one of those cheap meters for watering.i just leave it in the pot.i do not water heavy either.in my 5 gal. buckets i add about 6 cups of water every2-3 days.then i add about as much feed once a week.i too was over watering and over feeding.got me a nute burn also.so i backed off and kinda let the plant tell me when to add water and nutes.

everyone has their way of checking soil...and what ever you find that works for you...I personally use a moister meter...and I go by it..be sure to stick it in all the way down.and check 3-4 locations in container..sometimes I only water one time a week....remember the roots need to dry a bit to get oxygen..I let mine get to the "dry" setting on meter ..and water/feed the next morning...I would not leave the meter in the soil all the time..this will mess up the Callibrations and Damage the unit..JMO...Good luck with this

I find waiting until the soil is shrinking in from the edges of the pots is a good indicator of when to water. If you have 10 gallon pots though, and the rootball isn't taking up most of the space then I'm not quite sure how accurate of a method it is.

as i let the soil dry out it seems like the ph is rising, it's just over 7 now. i was watering/feeding Earthjuice. it seemed to stabilize the soil ph around 6 just after feeding. how concerned should i be about the soil ph if the run off and soil are at 6 after i feed. wont they nut lock if it gets to 8??
some advice please.:confused:

Those sure do not look like 10 gal pots--they look smaller than a 5 gal bucket. Are you sure they are not 10 L or 10 qt pots?

how do you know the pot size, in Canada the pots dont say gallons on them? i've heard 10 inch is equal to 5 gallon, do you measure at the very top of the pot, seems like a stupid question but i dont wanna be root bound.

:eek: pot's measure 14" across the top, 14" deep, and 13" across the bottom. I asked my local shop guy what size's he had?, he said, 5,7,or 10 gallon's for big ones. I asked for ten's and that's what he gave me.:ignore:

im thinking i got the 7 gallon 1's. any body know how to do the math? lol

Okay, here goes...

V=pi(h)(r)^2
V=3.14(14)(6.75)(6.75)
V=2002.9275 cu in

There are 231 cu in/gal...so

V=8.6 gal Those are probably outside measurements on the diameter, so we need to adjust the volume down some--it probably is the 7 gal pots.

Surprise, surprise, they don't even look as large as a 5 gal bucket.

halzey68 said:
1st Time Grow About 16 Days In Now. Plants Look Good, Nice And Green. But I Dont Know About My Soil. The Cheap Meter I Got From Orchard Supply Says Its Wet. I Havent Watered Or Fed For 2 Days Now And They Still Are Doing Nicely. The Soils Is Still Moist Just An Inch Or Two Below The Surface. I Planned On Not Giving Them Any Thing But A Couple Ounces Of Water Right On The Base For A Few Days On Letting The Soil Dry Out A Little. Does It Sound Like Im On The Right Track???????? 10 Gallon Pot's, Put Blocks Right In So I Didnt Have To Woryy About Shocking Them Transplanting Again. More Photo's On My Other Thread In " Dream It, Build It, Grow It, 1st Time Norcal Purple" IN THE GROW JOURNAL SECTION.
looks like your first grow is going like my first grow...you'll have some monsters very soon(next couple o' days)...you running 24/0 lights ???

1000w MH, light is on 18/6. figure 2 more weeks , then into the flower room. 1000w hps in 6x6area also. figure i might be able to rotate plants when ready from room to room, that way ill always have something ripining.

that light should rock out in a room that size..i to am building a separate room to veg in and turn my current veg room into the bloom:D not bad at all for the first one...keep it up

Hey halzey...sounds like my shed..lol..I dont mess with the soil PH..I go by the run off..if the run off gets to high..add a tea spoon of vinager to a gallon of Disttilled water..this will bring it down..why does it matter what size your container is..as long as you can move it from Veg room to floer room..Good luck and keep us posted

POT SIZE MATTER? a little i think. i planned on big plants so i wanted to use large pots so they wouldn't get root-bound. But with the OREGONISM XL your supposed to use 1/4 cup per container gallon, so 8 gal gets 2 cups, 10 gal get 2 &1/2. so it does help to know container size a little i guess.:cool:

drying out nicely i think, staying green and lush. stalks are getting thick, id say "sharpie" pen size. if they are 14" and i'm looking for about a 4' plant. how tall should i let them get before i put them into the flowering room?

some say about 20 inches.i will put mine in at 12 inches.i do not want to have a crowding.if they grow 2-3 ft i'll be fine.if not i will have some fat ladies.i'm not into quantity,quality only.jmo

im for quality too. this is my first grow but seems to be going good. i fimmed 2 of my 4 beauties last night to be able to compare, to see what's better. check out my thread in grow journals " dream it, build it, grow it...... NORCAL" . when i started this i had quality in mind, big , thick, dense, sticky, sweet quality! lmao:hubba:

OH, Now that my soil is drying out a little, ph is leveling out just over 6, i think im going to be ok. Mixed new batch of feed this morning and ill let it brew for 48 hr's before i feed a little. i think ill be ready for foxfarm open sesame next week.

Latest posts

Back