Green's Nutrient Deficiency Pictures

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I grow in coco chips in 1 or 2 gallon pots........ have a 25 gallon res under a 3 x3 flood and drain table........ the pots sit on the table........ all I do is change out the res every 2 weeks and adjust the ph down every once in a while when the girls are feeding hard........ my ppms with a fresh batch in the res is about 1150 ppm.......... and by keeping the res top off at 25 gallons all the time I can tell how my plants are feeding by the change in ppm's........ at the end of 2 weeks my ppm's will be under 600........but to get accurate info the water has to be the same amount all the time.

I grow in coco chips in 1 or 2 gallon pots........ have a 25 gallon res under a 3 x3 flood and drain table........ the pots sit on the table........ all I do is change out the res every 2 weeks and adjust the ph down every once in a while when the girls are feeding hard........ my ppms with a fresh batch in the res is about 1150 ppm.......... and by keeping the res top off at 25 gallons all the time I can tell how my plants are feeding by the change in ppm's........ at the end of 2 weeks my ppm's will be under 600........but to get accurate info the water has to be the same amount all the time.

ahhh coco, now I get it
and my nutes are waaaay too low
so, if I get this, you keep the rez at max with the float valve
and you monitor ppms instead of the level in the tank, I've been measuring the level change in my rez.
Okay, sorry to put you through all that but by Jezuz, I think I got it.
THANKS!

Good posting.

Good posting.

I call them GEMS.
He did this for me at least once before.... I was pulling my hair out trying to figure out how to do the REZ thing in RDWC and my readings were not making sense.... I did not know to top up the rez BEFORE taking the readings.

This time, I'm still trying to measure water level ebbib' and flowin' and totally confused... it's like he sees me flailing away in the deep-end and then,
just before I go under, he tosses me a life preserver.

well, I don't see these up there, is this just plain old nute burn?
only like really, really bad

I don't think it's nute burn......... looks like deficiency symptoms

https://www.mjp.com/ic/showthread.php?t=231387

I don't think it's nute burn......... looks like deficiency symptoms

https://www.mjp.com/ic/showthread.php?t=231387

Well, I give up, eff 'em if they can't take a joke. The others look fine and the ones in the tray are doing great. I posted the picture in the sick plants thread too, maybe it's a fussy strain, I just hope they don't take out the others.
Duck suggesting isolation, lot of work :-(

critical Kush I think (still no labels)
oh, I missed that link, thanks, I'll not give up just yet

great link, this is a good thread for it too,
I thought I found it and then read more hahaha... I'm not trying to fix these two plants,
I think I botched pH and a nute regimen and it was too flakey a seed or strain to handle it
I'm fresh at higher ppms and 5.7, 5.8 and same ppms this am (but I'm waiting until 6.2 to add ph down)

Last edited:
The ppm and water levels thing? let me see if I can shine a little more light on it for you Pappy. don't smoke a bowl before reading this :eek: Imagine a 3gal bucket of water with a couple handfuls of clay pellets in it. when you look at it you can see there is a lot more water than pellets. but if you pour out half of the water, the ratio of pellets to water goes up. You can see that the pellets are now taking up more space in the water. There is less water to pellets. TDS(ppm) is this measure of "concentration" of pellets and gives you a number that represents the number of pellets to the amount of water.

Now think of the pellets as nutrients. Its the same thing, you just cant see the nutrients like you could the pellets. But the ratio measure is the same. Now here is where the key is: the plants will drink ONLY(mostly)WATER sometimes and take in very little of the nutrients that are dissolved in that water. That can be from pH being off or simply from the plants being more thirsty than hungry(or a couple other reasons).

If the plants take in a gallon of water AND they take in ALL of the nutrients in that gallon of water, the measure of nute to water(concentration) will not change. If they drink more water than nutes then the ppm will actually increase because some of the water has been removed but the nutes were left behind, which increases the concentration of nutes in the water that is left in the rez. If the plants eat more nutrients out of the water and don't take in as much water, then the concentration of nutes will go down (just like reaching into the bucket of water and grabbing a handful of pellets and taking them out. the same amount of water is there but less pellets in it now) the ppm will go down.

Now, generally your plants WILL take in more nutrients than water (ratio wise not total amount wise) and this will cause you ppm to drop. but if they are drinking and eating equally, it will be hard to tell how much nute is in the water because the ratio of nute to water hasn't changed much. By continually adding back straight water to the rez, you are able to see the "concentration" of nutrients fall as the plants feed because you are keeping the water amount the same as the nutes are getting used.

I hope this makes sense to you. :)

The ppm and water levels thing? let me see if I can shine a little more light on it for you Pappy. don't smoke a bowl before reading this :eek: Imagine a 3gal bucket of water with a couple handfuls of clay pellets in it. when you look at it you can see there is a lot more water than pellets. but if you pour out half of the water, the ratio of pellets to water goes up. You can see that the pellets are now taking up more space in the water. There is less water to pellets. TDS(ppm) is this measure of "concentration" of pellets and gives you a number that represents the number of pellets to the amount of water.

Now think of the pellets as nutrients. Its the same thing, you just cant see the nutrients like you could the pellets. But the ratio measure is the same. Now here is where the key is: the plants will drink ONLY(mostly)WATER sometimes and take in very little of the nutrients that are dissolved in that water. That can be from pH being off or simply from the plants being more thirsty than hungry(or a couple other reasons).

If the plants take in a gallon of water AND they take in ALL of the nutrients in that gallon of water, the measure of nute to water(concentration) will not change. If they drink more water than nutes then the ppm will actually increase because some of the water has been removed but the nutes were left behind, which increases the concentration of nutes in the water that is left in the rez. If the plants eat more nutrients out of the water and don't take in as much water, then the concentration of nutes will go down (just like reaching into the bucket of water and grabbing a handful of pellets and taking them out. the same amount of water is there but less pellets in it now) the ppm will go down.

Now, generally your plants WILL take in more nutrients than water (ratio wise not total amount wise) and this will cause you ppm to drop. but if they are drinking and eating equally, it will be hard to tell how much nute is in the water because the ratio of nute to water hasn't changed much. By continually adding back straight water to the rez, you are able to see the "concentration" of nutrients fall as the plants feed because you are keeping the water amount the same as the nutes are getting used.

I hope this makes sense to you. :)

too late, stoned again

Yes, makes sense. That is a great analogy, HP
In my grow thread, I'll lay out how I'm tracking it just in case I'm still muddled but gets clearer all the time.

Latest posts

Back