Ebb & Flow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:eek: that looks male to me. I got nothing against LGTV but in MJ? noooooo

oh no oh no oh no, I can't find it
I shouldn't work ripped down there, but must have chucked it, hope so

Ive said it before.... Never work on your grow while baked :doh: Don't worry too much, just keep a close eye on them. You have some time to spot them again before they begin spreading trouble.

Lol, hush, if I never worked on my grow baked, nothing would get done.

Went hunting balls after my scare yesterday and look at these, about a month old and sacks of grapes, my eyes popped.
I planted a batch of 10 regulars and set aside the taller ones.... sure enough, these are 3 of them
Does that yellowing look like overwatering?

View attachment 3bastards.jpg

View attachment balls.jpg

:doh: I do it too so I cant preach.:) Them little buggers will generally give themselves away long before they spread any trouble, as long as you keep a close eye on them.

That looks like the general wear-n-tear that the bottom leaves get to me. You should see the bottoms of my plants sometimes. I clean them up before taking any pics so my stuff doesn't look bad :D

THG: I do it but I find that if I only burn 1 bowl before doing any work, then pack another, then do my work so that I get to have my second bowl when the work is done. If I wonder off without finishing, I will come back for the bowl and finish the work. :doh:

wear & tear, first time I've heard that one
I thought perhaps i shouldn't be saturating the rooter so I lowered levels but no difference really,

Here's my entry into the ebb & flow cloner category,
all my **** is ebb & flo now, I just couldn't stop.

I have two nice stones in my big rez and I just added a circulating pump, I figure 5 minutes every half hour (to save on the electricity).

I guess that's it for my "set up & designing"
1 new system, 1 modified, and an ebbing clone thingie.

Lots of fun but I think my money would have been better spent on lights

I'll have clones starting this week, along with some going into flower and the ones in veg so I'm heading back to my so-so grow thread.
Could be entertaining, do stop by. Keep an eye on things

View attachment ebbclone.jpg

That looks good to me. Just don't whack one of the trays with your elbow and send it flying,:eek: like I would do :doh:

That looks good to me. Just don't whack one of the trays with your elbow and send it flying,:eek: like I would do :doh:

I've spent lots of time picking pebbles off the floor, I am quite slow moving in there now. Too many hanging wires and things. I can see myself falling into either set-up, man would I trash the place if that happened.

I am totally failing with the clone thing. I got in to it a bit on Keef's old fart club thread. It's a lot harder than it looks.
Frankly, I think the trickiest part is picking the right branch.

Oh yeah picking the right branch is important. That is the bad thing about cloning; there are several parameters that are important and lots of variables that can screw them up. I look for branches that are low on the plant but also are strong and healthy. I look for stems that are sturdy but not yet "woody". I try to find the stems that are about 6" long, with at least 4 leaf nodes. I like stems that are generally about 5mm in diameter. I try to get branches that I can do a final cut 1/4" below a leaf node, so that I can cut off the leaf flush and expose more inner flesh where roots develop, but still have a good 4-5" of stem.

I cut off all but the top 4 leaves, and those I cut in half if they are big. I do my final cut after everything else is ready so that I can dip it quickly into my cloning gel to prevent embolisms, then stick it into my solo cup of medium. When I used the "Rapid Rooters", I used a pencil to open the hole in the plug to slide the cutting in place about 80% of the depth of the plug.

Its critical to keep them either covered or in an enclosed environment where you can maintain 75-80f and 70-80% humidity. Then I place them under bloom spectrum light at about 50-60% of the lumens for veg. Then just keep the plugs moist but not soaked. When I used the RR plugs, I kept the hydroton wet beneath them but never got water on them. I instead checked them 2x a day and added about 8-10ml of water to each plug if it felt/looked dry, which wasn't but once a day until they got their roots going.

Oh yeah picking the right branch is important. That is the bad thing about cloning; there are several parameters that are important and lots of variables that can screw them up. I look for branches that are low on the plant but also are strong and healthy. I look for stems that are sturdy but not yet "woody". I try to find the stems that are about 6" long, with at least 4 leaf nodes. I like stems that are generally about 5mm in diameter. I try to get branches that I can do a final cut 1/4" below a leaf node, so that I can cut off the leaf flush and expose more inner flesh where roots develop, but still have a good 4-5" of stem.

I cut off all but the top 4 leaves, and those I cut in half if they are big. I do my final cut after everything else is ready so that I can dip it quickly into my cloning gel to prevent embolisms, then stick it into my solo cup of medium. When I used the "Rapid Rooters", I used a pencil to open the hole in the plug to slide the cutting in place about 80% of the depth of the plug.

Its critical to keep them either covered or in an enclosed environment where you can maintain 75-80f and 70-80% humidity. Then I place them under bloom spectrum light at about 50-60% of the lumens for veg. Then just keep the plugs moist but not soaked. When I used the RR plugs, I kept the hydroton wet beneath them but never got water on them. I instead checked them 2x a day and added about 8-10ml of water to each plug if it felt/looked dry, which wasn't but once a day until they got their roots going.

We're out of sync, HP, I always read these after the fact
but I'm pretty close to what you describe.
Do I or do I not mist the plants directly.... I just sprayed the dome insides

Here's 3rd try.... left tray are the 2nd attempt and I stripped leaves cause they drooped.
right tray is better but I'll cut those big leaves in half
no hydroton in there but the plugs don't sit in puddles, i touch plugs for moist
syringe 10mL if getting dryish.

I have not misted at all, I spray insides of dome.
plug temp is around 24/25 (75), ambient a couple degrees higher (all under dome)
95 rh in there this am, removed dome until 80RH, sprayed insides and covered again

View attachment thirdgoround.jpg

I spray my clones when I put them in the 2ltr soda bottle domes, and I spray the domes as well. I do this once a day for the first week. then less as they seem to hold their own. Then I start removing the domes for short periods and then longer periods. You will find some variation in how much misting the plants like depending on the strain. I also put just a couple drops of rooting tonic in my misting water so that they get a little foliar feed to help them along. Some plants love this, and some hate it.

I personally don't like to leave my rooter plugs open like you have yours because it allows for too much drying, too fast, but under the larger dome it may not be an issue. I also cut off any larger leaves before putting them into the cloner, and only leave smaller leaves or cut them in half. It seems to help hold the plants in suspended animation while the rooting hormones take over.

If you have large leaves under light, they want to do their "veg" function and that slows the rooting function, and the leaves continue to lose water due to normal "veg" function which robs the clone of moisture that it currently has difficulty retrieving from the plug due to being cut. The cut stump will absorb moisture through "capillary" action but it is no-ways as efficient as what just a couple roots are able to do. That is also why we keep the air very moist. It prevents the cuttings from losing water as fast and allows them to take in a little from the air.

Too complicated. Aero cloning is uncomplicated. I get about 90 to 100% of my clones.

Aerocloning is an excellent way to go if you are doing a significant amount of cloning. Even the bubble cloners work great (if all of the conditions are right). But for doing smaller grows, the aero/bubble cloners took up too much space for me.

If you are cloning 10+ every time then the EZ-Cloner is an awesome machine to have.

Too complicated. Aero cloning is uncomplicated. I get about 90 to 100% of my clones.

That and look what I'm putting HP through. (much appreciated, HP)
The trays are great for seeds but this is just not working for clones.
I may have to get one of these but I'm only perhaps a dozen a time

I spray my clones when I put them in the 2ltr soda bottle domes, and I spray the domes as well. I do this once a day for the first week. then less as they seem to hold their own.

I can't spray these wimps, the weight of the drops.
they bend eventually, that's what happens, see pic, two in front promising, one in back is what the end up looking like, don't get it,

Then I start removing the domes for short periods and then longer periods. You will find some variation in how much misting the plants like depending on the strain. I also put just a couple drops of rooting tonic in my misting water so that they get a little foliar feed to help them along. Some plants love this, and some hate it.

my clones aren't having any of this :), ready to throw in the towel

I personally don't like to leave my rooter plugs open like you have yours because it allows for too much drying, too fast, but under the larger dome it may not be an issue.

mine are still damp to touch 24hrs later, I ca watch color shade on side of plug go down the plug
3 ft from 2 x T5 room temps, 80 - 95 HUM, I remove dome at 90 until 80 again, spray dome,

I also cut off any larger leaves before putting them into the cloner, and only leave smaller leaves or cut them in half. It seems to help hold the plants in suspended animation while the rooting hormones take over.

doesn't seem to help, should lamp be off ???

If you have large leaves under light, they want to do their "veg" function and that slows the rooting function, and the leaves continue to lose water due to normal "veg" function which robs the clone of moisture that it currently has difficulty retrieving from the plug due to being cut. The cut stump will absorb moisture through "capillary" action but it is no-ways as efficient as what just a couple roots are able to do. That is also why we keep the air very moist. It prevents the cuttings from losing water as fast and allows them to take in a little from the air.

aha, nevermind :)
thanks as usual, HP

above
I'm taking this to my so-so grows grow thread HP, my "designing" is done HA!!

Latest posts

Back