Sandy soils

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

High

Reaction score
My wife bought some lavender, rosemary, and chives. Last year I had lavender and rosemary and both died. I always thought I had a green thumb until then. Anyway...the tag says rosemary and lavender like sandy soils. Does anyone have a good soil recipe for them or even a good ready to go bagged sandy mix?

I don't know about rosemary, mine is in potting soil and doing fine, but lavender likes sun and bad soil. Really... Did you kill them with kindness? Lavender can take some abuse.

Do you feel like i am stalking you? lol, i am not, i promise.

you could get regular sand and leave it soaked in water then flush for couple times to remove possible salts, use it as additive, use clay soil if needed, it is the first time i find myself looking for ideas on how to make bad soil lol

Haha Rosebud. I just thought you were extra helpful! Yeah I must have killed it with too much love or too rich a soil.

Yeah Zem, it isn't too often we have to figure out how to make crappy soil is it?

I found this mix online from http://www.gardeners.com/how-to/grow-lavender/8597.html which I'm going to give a try. This soil mix certainly is cheaper than our normal soil mixes. If only lavender could do what cannabis can.

Two parts non-clay soil (for climates getting more than 40" of annual rainfall, reduce the soil to one part)
One part coarse sand
One part aggregate (pumice, expanded shale or 3/8" crushed gravel)
A few shovels of compost (no more than 5 percent by volume)
A mineral supplement, such as greensand, at the recommended rate

Oh cane, that is beautiful. What is that in the third picture down, and do the big jagged tooth leaves go with it? Clematis is gorgeous.

That's absolutely gorgeous MrCane! I would love to sit there. I hope my backyard is as beautiful as yours one day.

Thanks Rose, High.....
Rose, That stuff in the third pic.is called bear claw...it spreads like mad and we can not get rid of it....
Beautiful stuff though Eh....

Latest posts

Back