DWC/RDWC Fungal Outbreaks – Treatment or Prevention… what’s your preference?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B3henry

Reaction score
Teas and brews, H2O2, Clorox, fungicides and then there is always replanting when all this stuff fails and all is lost. Discouraging no? You bet it is...
On the upside-The vast majority of growers never have fungal problems because they can keep the roots healthy for several months until the crop is harvested. There are few growers that do fail to keep the roots healthy and these growers do have serious problems with fungal pathogens sometimes.
Is it cheaper and easier to prevent fungal infestations or treat the fungal outbreaks after they are discovered?
Fungi are ubiquitous little creatures, like buzzards waiting to eat the dead, decaying. You see buzzard infestations around dead cows and horses in pastures as you pass by.
A crop harvested is always far better than no crop harvest regardless of the quality of the product. Right?

Im a Huge believer of Preventive rather than Battle when it shows

If you plan on going for a 3 or 6 month walk surely it is wise to make sure you wear the best footwear you can.

The same goes for plants.

Give them comfortable shoes and they will walk the distance, give them old dirty footwear and they will give up half way.

:peace:

Even with the best foot gear money can buy… never ever discount the need for dry clean socks, “US Marine Corps 1968.” The staff sergeant always said that even a small dose of foot rot or trench foot is a terrible thing that will ruin your day. Some say that prevention is fare better and much easier than catching a dose of the foot rot and then trying to cure it eh mate.

I haven't noticed that root problems can cause fungus. There seems to me to be two conditions that cause it:
1) strain
2) climatic conditions.
- Please note I am talking about OUTDOOR grows or greenhouse. An indoor grow with its warm temperatures and dry air shouldn't be susceptible unless the plants are crammed too closely.
I never get fungus attacks in summer. I usually get them in late autumn - winter grows, and I think it's because
1) the plant's metabolic rate is slow due to the colder temps
2) there are a lot more fungal spores in the air due to the season (all those rotting leaves on the ground)
3) relative humidity is a lot higher
4) there's less UV to kill the fungus
I'm using a sodium benzoate mix at the moment, it does work but I get a reduction of only about 75% - working now to improve it. I will probably add some potassium sorbate, another food-grade fungicide.

Fungi are prolific near the Tropic of Cancer and points further south towards the equator.

Hello there… Actually this thread has nothing to do with “OUTDOOR grows or greenhouse” grows at all.

Sorry you missed it, but this thread is about “DWC/RDWC Fungal Outbreaks – Treatment or Prevention… what’s your preference?”

Actually fungi are ubiquitous, fungi are found everywhere all the time especially in dark, warm, wet, hypoxic places waiting quietly on the feast of death. They love the smell of death and they do thrive in the presence of death, decaying organic matter (plant, animal, human and microbes) that are sick, dying, dead, stinking and decaying.

Fungi are like buzzards gathering and cleaning up the decaying mess of death in coffins, cow pastures and road-kill. Crabs, shrimp and lobsters love to eat the dead too and people and fish love to eat them because their meet is so delicate and sweet.

Fungi are actually everywhere, really tiny and difficult to see unless they are thriving, colonizing and there is plenty of dead fungus food available for them to eat.

Latest posts

Back