got a question about testing runnoff ph.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TOMMYCHONG89

Reaction score
are phenol red test kits still accurate on water after the water has passed through the soil and discolored the water to start with? wouldn't that throw off the reading on the chart since the test is meant to be done on clear water? sorry i didnt know where else to ask this?

Allthough I dont check runoff PH...but have read and heard folks use the runoff..what ever the color...may I ask why the need to check?....

:48:

if you check whats going in, and it is ph'd correctly, it will correct any inbalance in the soil in a couple of waterings, jmo

IMO, no. I am not crazy about any of those types of testers. Once in a pinch when I broke my pH meter, I used the test papers I use on my hot tub, but the subtle differences between the colors are not enough to give you any kind of accurate reading.

Tommy is having some problems and we think it may be related to his growing medium--that is why he is needing to check the runoff.

Tommy is having some problems and we think it may be related to his growing medium--that is why he is needing to check the runoff.

well No medium was stated :confused:..and IMHO..I havent even checked the PH of the water this year..a good supply of Lime and organics is what I found to work for me...I do remember checking and running all that..I still keep the PH meter ready....as for the run off I dont get much now...but when I was checking I was told to run 1/3 the container size in PH Ballance water...throw away the run-off....than wait 30 minutes and run another PH Ballanced water and collect and check that....most of the time If the plant is having issues a a good flush will correct....just my opinion

Tommy....sorry if I offended...Happy Growing:48:

lol, no ones offended here 2smoke, hemp goddess is correct, i am checking the runoff of my medium, i have decided that i just need to go with a better soil in the future, thanks for the good advice though guys every little bit helps me right now :)

dman1234 said:
if you check whats going in, and it is ph'd correctly, it will correct any inbalance in the soil in a couple of waterings, jmo

dman ... Sorry, I have to disagree with this. The soil will buffer what's going in to its (soils) pH, not the other way around.

Do like 4u suggested, get your soil pH right (dolomite lime) and don't worry about the pH of what's going in or out.

That's what gardeners and farmers do. Think they pH 100's-1,000's gallons of irrigation water?

I'm not even sure where my pH meter is, it's been about a year since I've used it.:rolleyes:

Get the lime, it's ~$4 for a 40lb bag at Lowes or HD. One application does the trick. Can't get much easier or cheaper.

Wet

Latest posts

Back