mag deficient

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
those look awesome.......... do the same with your flower plants........ your plants are drowning

im having a mag deficiency 4 weeks into flower and I need some help on correcting it ,,, a cheap way is to add Epsom salt but how do I do that exactly ,,,,

im currently soiless using gh 3 part with calmag plus ,in r/o water
? , do I flush using only Epsom salt , or do I use calmag and the Epsom salt together no nutes ,
I currently have a new batch of nutes ready to use and can I just add the extra Epsom salt to that ? and what ratios of calmag and Epsom salts per gallon or litre do I use ,,,, ive increased the nitrogen 3 times just in case the yellowing was that and its not it .
Easy..! add half a teaspoon of calmag or Epsom salts to a pint spray bottle add warm water and shake well, spray 2-3 times per day on your fan leaves, depending on the seriousness, you can see it correcting itself....b4 your eyes ..

Here is the big picture , and I thought I was doing the same ,,, as I always do ,,, at the flip I keep running veg nutes for 2 more weeks , then day fifteen I reduce grow and increase bloom ,,, but obviously I did something different or wrong because I go from healthy white roots to root rot in ten days ,,,,,,, how do I manage root rot from here on , ive never had it before , and id still like to get an average yield out of this lol , , , , ,if its possible ,,, Big question ,,, can overfeeding cause root rot ? and maybe list the other things that can cause it so I know for future

View attachment july 31-2015 001 (600x450) (600x450).jpg

View attachment july 31-2015 002 (600x450).jpg

View attachment july 31-2015 003 (600x450).jpg

View attachment july 31-2015 006 (600x450).jpg

View attachment july 31-2015 008 (600x450).jpg

View attachment july 31-2015 009.jpg

View attachment july 31-2015 011 (600x450).jpg

Last edited:
nice setup......... you start your ph at 4.9?....... I never let mine get below 5.4 in coco........ Id' flush the roots with ph'd plain water for a few hours and come back with lite nutrients and see if the roots will improve........ I suggest you switch from gro to bloom at flip........ the 6 ml micro is what I was taught to use by PJ...... please post pics of your grows........ you got a nice setup.

for recovering rotting roots get some EM-1 and run that in the rez, should help in a few hours

Air stones, ,,,you need lots of bubbles for healthy roots when they remain in water.

thanks grower13 for your help and the nice comments ,you were right , there is something more going on than just the mag deficient ,,, yes . yes I went and got air stones a.s.a.p. after what the hemp goddess told me as well ,,, and im going to get some em-1 today ,,,,,,,,, how to mix the em-1 , do I go by the label , do I mix it with calmag adjusted water , or do I mix it with the nutrients and does it go in before the nutrients or after the nutrients , im asking a lot I know but don't want any mishaps at this point with a product I haven't used before . they are currently being flushed with calmag water .

Last edited:
Air stones, ,,,you need lots of bubbles for healthy roots when they remain in water.

becareful air stones will also raise ph, there are other methods better for oxygenating the water

thanks grower13 for your help and the nice comments ,you were right , there is something more going on than just the mag deficient ,,, yes . yes I went and got air stones a.s.a.p. after what the hemp goddess told me as well ,,, and im going to get some em-1 today ,,,,,,,,, how to mix the em-1 , do I go by the label , do I mix it with calmag adjusted water , or do I mix it with the nutrients and does it go in before the nutrients or after the nutrients , im asking a lot I know but don't want any mishaps at this point with a product I haven't used before . they are currently being flushed with calmag water .

with the EM-1 i add 1 oz per gallon to nute mixes if ya wanna try to "wash the root ball, do an EM-1 only run fisrt for a day or so, you should be able to see a visible difference in root health

becareful air stones will also raise ph, there are other methods better for oxygenating the water

Better then bubbles?? Huh
or are you saying ,,,,theres a better way to create bubbles.

bubbles don't put oxygen in the water they move/mix the water and give oxygen for the roots............ if you want to oxygenate water you need surface movement on the water......... a 300 gph water pump put in a 30 to 50 gallon reservoir will oxygenate water better than bubbles....... the bubbles are good for keeping your nutrient mix well with the water....... the bubbles do cause a much higher rate of evaporation.

yes better than heated bubbles from an air stone, look to pumps and making the water fall against the surface.

All I have ever used was DWC and i never had an issue with air stones. Different strokes for different folks,,thats cool.

have you tried H202 , I picked this stuff up , says it oxygenates the water ,,, I used it and I see no worse to the plants and no more plant matter in the rez ,,, and then I plan to use hygrozyme tomorrow for a day or so , then go back with full nutes ,,,, I did take more steps in preventing this problem such as covering the tops with a dark window screen as you can see in the photo cause I read that light penetration also causes root rot . with the airstones the ph does go up fast and often with just calmag water and the h202 ,,,, cant say that about with nutes and airstones yet . im also showing the little airstones that im using and now will use in every bucket in photo #1 ,those little stones really put out the bubbles ,,,, and I guess it wouldn't hurt to put a small water pump down inside the rez to move the surface water around either ,, uh is there such a thing as too much oxygen ?

View attachment 2015 bubble stones 011 (600x450).jpg

View attachment 2015 bubble stones 003 (600x450).jpg

Last edited:
you only need to put the pump in the big res.......... it is how we mix our nutrients and oxygenate our res water for flood and drain and top drip........ for roots sitting in nutrient mix all the time I'd use air stones and air pumps. hope this makes sense...... I'm stoned this am.

for veg plants use 9ml gro 6ml micro at flip 12/12 go to 6 ml micro and 9ml bloom....... you can switch over to 9 ml kool bloom at after about 3 weeks into flower if you want......... don't forget 5ml of calmag...... if your plants are nutrient sensitive you may need lighten up nutrient mix some. this mix should give you good results.

Man those vegg plants look great!!!
Most problems go back to the basics in hydro. As long as the water is aerated and a good temp range, they're fed what they need, and the Ph is controlled things will usually do alright.
I've gota feeling the Ph is a little low for good Mag uptake. Mag is absorbed when the Ph is about 5.8 and higher. Now on the other hand Fe is absorbed better at 5.5 or lower. So sometimes it's better to initially set it low, 5.3 or so, and let it work its way up to 6.2 or so before lowering it again. That will allow the plants to absorb a broader range of elements as the Ph changes. Good luck dude, you'll get it figured out!!
Peace, Superman

Latest posts

Back