does heat produce more resin?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lowrydergrower775

The Lowryder Guru
Reaction score
ok i found this and was just wondering will maybe messing with the temps have a chance of increasing some resin production not that there is a prob with it as it is everything is lovely just wondering?

Many factors influence the production of THC. In general, the older a plant, the greater its potential to produce THC. This is true, however, only if the plant remains healthy and vigorous, THC production requires the proper quantity and quality of light. It seems that none of the biosynthetic processes operate efficiently when low light conditions prevent proper photosynthesis. Research has shown (Valle et al. 1978) that twice as much THC is produced under a 12-hour photoperiod than under a 10-hour photoperiod. Warm temperatures are known to promote metabolic activity and the production of THC. Heat also promotes resin secretion, possibly in response to the threat of floral desiccation by the hot sun, Resin collects in the heads of glandular trichomes and does not directly seal the pores of the calyx to prevent desiccation. Resin heads may serve to break up the rays of the sun so that fewer of them strike the leaf surface and raise the temperature. However, light and heat also destroy THC. In a drug strain, a bio-synthetic rate must be maintained such that substantially more THC is produced than is broken down. Humidity is an interesting parameter of THC production and one of the least understood. Most high-quality drug Cannabis grows in areas that are dry much of the time at least during the maturation period. It follows that increased resin produc. tion in response to arid conditions might account for increased THC production.

and this is the book or study lol
Marijuana Botany
An Advanced Study: The Propagation and Breeding of Distinctive Cannabis
by Robert Connell Clarke

or is it as they say if it isnt broken dont fix it? any comments or info on any of this would be greatly appreciated thanks :)
and another note my grow room is sittin at 80 F degrees even

i keep my room temps in the 80s most the time unless im adding co2. when i add the co2 i up the temps to the mid to high 90s. i dont know if it is the added co2 or the higher temps, i think its a combo of the 2. adding co2 didnt do much for me without haveing the temps high. and like wise the higher temps didnt help at all without extra co2.

good find tho. alota good info in that book.

Indeed, keeping the temps in the mid 70s is ideal for growing. With the addition of CO2, it is acceptable for the temps to be higher...

heat is not your friend . That's why indoor summer grows are so difficult , at least in my experience . I've seen a grow destroyed by a day or two high temp conditions. Winter indoor always has had a better outcome for me
When I grew outdoors the rule of thumb was to harvest in the late afternoon of the day of the second frost .This seemed to give that little extra kick to my babies

yeah i heard years ago its better to harvest your plants before the heat of the day because thricomes dont the hottness bu it could be a myth just thought id add this in haha

I have heard that resin is the plants protection to heat, so in theory higher heat = more resin/THC. I'm sue that getting above 85F would not be an intelligent move.

yes disco is right... trichomes/resin are a defense mechanism to low humidity.

Although resinous or trichome laden plants are not always a sign of potency as many trich's do not contain any or sufficient amounts of cannabinoids. Here's a link to help better explain the spectrums and their relevance on growth factors: http://www.drskunk.com/PPCds.htm it explains the roles of phototropins, cryptochromes and phytochromes. Some of you may find it interesting.

It is currently believed that as the strongest strains of cannabis come from the equatorial regions that UV-B is actually a precursor to THC.

peace n pot, my friends.

From my understanding trichs/resin is made by the plant to help keep it warmer in low temps. This is why the plant gets covered in trichs and the resin is produced at night. Heat will slow the trich growing process, as the plant is warm enough tonot have to protect itsself from the cold. As for the light aspect breaking down the trichs during growth,i dont think that has any bearing while the plant is still producing, i think thats more for when you harvesting light and heat then will tear them apart. I have been trying to keep my grow area between 75-80 F during the day and letting it get down to 60 F at night and i know my last plant was covered in trichs.

ive been growing my purple sativa alice in 80-95 degree lights on and 70 lights off... shes doing amazing and shes frosty

more heat, more males, more strech, more airy buds w/ less potency....

keep the heat to a minimum and you will have better results. genetics plays a big role along with conditions keep that in mind.

trillions of atoms said:
more heat, more males, more strech, more airy buds w/ less potency....

keep the heat to a minimum and you will have better results. genetics plays a big role along with conditions keep that in mind.

I agree with all but the more males thing, seeds are predisposed to be one sex or the other... genetically.

Cannabis is of the dioecious species as it has distinct male and female plants, or unisexual... although it is said that all flowering female plants are hermaphrodite (or with heavy potential thereof), this would also suggest that cannabis is trioecious.

What cannabis cannot do is completely reverse sex, which it would need to do as it is genetically predisposed to be one sex or the other.

I recently read in a cannabis magazine that adding 6500k spectrum promotes much more resin in late flowering.

yes newschool but stress turns untrue females into males by herming them. so that what you just said is out on another playing feild. stress leads to males, heat is a form of stress.

yes, it builds up more resin to protect the leaves in higher temps, I think it could be beneficial, just would need lots of experiments to figure out when the best time to apply extra heat.

Ganja_Greg said:
80-95 degree lights on and 70 lights off... shes doing amazing and shes frosty
too much heat GG. Try not to go over 85 I think.

Latest posts

Back