need opinions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

d3k

Reaction score
Hey all, im slightly new to the forums. Have been creeping for awhile, i enjoy reading more then talking..lol.

Anywho. I have a box built atm thats 8'x4'x4' [HxWxD] and have a 1000w HPS with a standard white hood installed in the top of the box. fits like a charm with a little space to spare on each side.

Currently ive been using a set of 6 t5's [3 3ft. 3 2ft] that are full spectrum. doing a beautiful job.

currently there is not much for ventilation on the box a temporary hole in the back with duel fans mounted over it. it seems to be getting a nice amount of air.

What type of ventilation do any of you recomend on it? and will it be safe to run that big of a light in that amount of space?

i can build a bigger box but the space that is avail is much to hot during the summer months.

welcome to any and all opinions or fairley inexpensive fixes for the situation, i would like to flip to 12/12 in the next 2-3 weeks

d3k
i see your not getting much feed back so far, in my opinion your going to have some trouble getting that space cool with such a big light, make sure your light is vented, use an external exaust fan. bring fresh air in the bottem and pull air out of the top, is your reflector sealed?

d3k said:
Hey all, im slightly new to the forums. Have been creeping for awhile, i enjoy reading more then talking..lol.

Anywho. I have a box built atm thats 8'x4'x4' [HxWxD] and have a 1000w HPS with a standard white hood installed in the top of the box. fits like a charm with a little space to spare on each side.

Currently ive been using a set of 6 t5's [3 3ft. 3 2ft] that are full spectrum. doing a beautiful job.

currently there is not much for ventilation on the box a temporary hole in the back with duel fans mounted over it. it seems to be getting a nice amount of air.

What type of ventilation do any of you recomend on it? and will it be safe to run that big of a light in that amount of space?

i can build a bigger box but the space that is avail is much to hot during the summer months.

welcome to any and all opinions or fairley inexpensive fixes for the situation, i would like to flip to 12/12 in the next 2-3 weeks

You have a fairly large space for a single 1000W light--you might want to partition it off so that you are getting 50W per sq ft, so something like 20 sq ft instead of 32.

I would recommend air cooling the light. Here is what I use for a room that is 19.5 sq ft running a 1000HPS--I use 2 computer fans (one for intake and one for exhaust) on the ducting for the light. I pull cool air from a small room that is air conditioned. I also have an exhaust fan mounted near the ceiling that exhausts hot air through the roof. The exhaust for the light also exhausts through the roof. I have 2 fans that pull cool air from the crawl space. I have an oscillating fan that runs for 15 minutes every hour. This keeps the room temps in check. In the summer, I run the lights at night.

I think H.G. is right and has a solution. Whatever is the easiest way to move the air in and out of your box.Good luck and keep it green.

Thanks for the replies, just got the box completely light sealed minus the ventilation holes. but once i get ducting next week and inline fans then that will be fixed.

just moved my (hoping to be lady's) in the box. Still running the t5's gonna go buy 3 more 3ft t5's to up the juice. Finally transplanted the last 4 i had no space for in my closet everything seems to fit nicely in there. Hopefully pictures soon.

cheers!

The Hemp Goddess said:
You have a fairly large space for a single 1000W light--you might want to partition it off so that you are getting 50W per sq ft, so something like 20 sq ft instead of 32.
his room is only 16 sq, so he's getting 62.5 w/sq. d3k can i ask why you dont use some sort of inline or squirrel cage blower w/ scrubber?

docfishwrinkle said:
The Hemp Goddess said:
his room is only 16 sq, so he's getting 62.5 w/sq. d3k can i ask why you dont use some sort of inline or squirrel cage blower w/ scrubber?

Yeah, I misread his post. Since measurements are generally written WxDxH, I took the 8' to be the width and not the height. Even though this is great light, it will take more than some kind of inline fan or squirrel cage to keep his space cool. IMO, you need a fan just for the scrubber, seperate fan(s) for the light, and fan(s) to intake fresh air to the grow space. Those 1000W put out some incredible heat. But you also get some tight dense nuggs...well worth it.

Latest posts

Back