New grow, new soil, and new problems!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T-rex

Reaction score
I planted my clones in a new soil-Roots Organics 'formula 707'. I started feeding them at a lighter dose than before. I feed at every other watering ph 6.4 and ppm of 650-700. I've only fed them 4 times. I fed them plain h2o ph of 6.5 today, I then tested the runoff of them and the ppm was unmeasureable, off the charts. My Hanna measures to 1999. Could the soil be raising it that high? Anyone use this soil before? Should I just test a pot of soil alone and then subtract that value from my true ppm?

Would sure appreciate some advice.
Thx,
T-rex

HI T,

Dadgummit... Aint it always somethin'? yup! :p I've never used their '707' soil mix but I have used the regular Roots Organics soil with great success. From what I've read on 707 is it sounds like it's a fairly hot organic soil. Does your TDS meter also happen to read out in EC (Electrical Conductivity)? You can keep track of how hot the runoff is if your meter has an EC function too cuz they go up hotter in range but I dont think it matters much when its all said and done. I use Subcool's Supersoil mix which is really hot and the runoff from it is off the charts ppm-wise too so dont freak but since 707 is obviously on the strong side. I think you would do better to just give them plain water for probably a couple weeks til some of the organic amendments are used up by your plants and then start with 1/2 strength or less nutes and go from there. If you see your plants heading south health wise you could consider transplanting again into another soil mix but I'll be you'll be fine if you just water them for a while without nutes.

Happy Growing!:cool:

yeah flush them a bit with water, you probably fed them when theres still alot of nutes in the soil ;)

I think I'll just feed water till I transplant in 5 gal pots when i put into flowering, another couple weeks. then I'll try Fox Farms again. Never had problems with it being too hot. I think we 1st timers are bound to have problems with a hot soil mix. What's a good ppm guide to follow thoughout the grow with a hot soil mix and a regular mix? I realize there are alot of varibles invloved. It seems like even when i thought I cut the nutes way back , it still is too much, even skipping nuting every other time.

What do the rest of my Tenters recommend?(and of course the rest of you nontenters)

Thanks
T-rex,#72

when I'm using a hot soil, I don't feed any nutes, until the nutrients in the soil have started to show that they are depleting. You'll be able to tell when your plant has used up all avaliable in the soil. This is when I start adding the bottled nutes.

With the Ocean Forest by Fox Farms, I have found that seedlings and young clones get a bit of burn. So, I switched to the Potting Mix by FF and have had no problems. Then when the plants are older, use the FF OF when transplanting. I also do not use nutes till four weeks (or earlier if the plants tell me too) to let the nutes in the soil work first. I am in total agreement with the above posts/answers.

Good luck to you.

Thanks alot guy's,
I had no idea I had hot soil. It makes total sense when you go with these expensive soils to use up the nutes you paid for, then add your liquids. What's a good clue to let you know you've used up the soil nutes? The runoff ppm?

Thanks again
T-rex

More than that is def in your plant. It will be visible and you need to mark it down on paper or excel or something and keep track for the future. It will give you a low,medium or high baseline as in heavy feed strain or not

Yeah what nouvelle said. If it's a new strain I have not grown then you pretty much have to watch for some yellowing to occur, but if it's something I have grown I can refer to notes to tell when and how much to start feeding.

ALWAYS keep a private grow journal!

Latest posts

Back