Leaf discoloration problems

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Surfer Joe

Reaction score
I have a couple of plants that are showing leaf discolorations that look like magnesium deficiency, but I'm not sure. The leaves have some yellow areas between the veins mostly.

It could be that or a soil ph or perhaps a root problem. I also noticed some soil gnats but they don't seem to be interested in the leaves, but maybe they're affecting the roots?

I suspected a soil ph problem so I tested the soil by watering with ph 6.9 and measuring the drain, which came out at 6.3. The pots are 11 L and I used Canna terra pro plus soil, perlite, and some lime. The specs for the soil ph is supposed to be around 6 so I added a bit of lime to keep it between 6 and 7 when I prepared the pots.

Is there some way to raise the soil ph a bit?
Could increasing the ph of the nute water help to offset the ph of the soil?
Could soil gnats be affecting the roots or the nute intake?

The plants are about 21 days since sprouting.
A couple of other plants in the same growing conditions and strain are normal and green so it's confusing. Their soil ph drain was also in the same range as the discolored plants, so I'm stumped as to why the same strain and growing conditions are resulting in problems in one plant and not in another.

Thanks for any advice.

yes it is probably a ph issue...I'm thinking drainage. flush the effected plants with ph 7 water then let dry and do it again. see where you are in a week or so

what are you feeding?........ how often are you watering?........ Is that a soilless medium?

are you using ro water?

at first glance i thought need N, then i see some of the plant very almost too green so I will be watching. Umbra knows his stuff so stick with his advice.

Latest posts

Back